Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have load data for cast 55 grain 223

Boolit Mold

Anyone have load data for cast 55 grain 223

Relatively new to reloading and casting. I was looking for plinking load data for cast 223 55 grain powder coat, with gas check. I have found this to be more complex than originally thought. I have AR15, Wilde barrel, 1 in 9 twist, 16”. Awesome weapon, I have been successful using win748,23grains, OAL 2.1”. I have Lyman’s 50th reload book and hornady’s. Lyman’s list Red dot, so I purchased, not so good results, they list IMR4227 , also not so good. I am interested in any load recipes, but real interested in Varget, and Power Pro Varmint. Since you can’t know what powder is locally available any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Please include OAL. I will add photos later of my awesome cast, powder coated, with gas check. They really are beautiful.

If you're book doesn't list a certain powder go to the hodgden website they have some data. Don't use any unknown internet loads. I will usually not post loads in case I was to make a mistake

Boolit Master
    For cast in my CZ-527 (223 Remington, 1:9" twist) I use two different bullets: Lyman 225-646, which comes out at about 58 grains including the gas check, and NOE 225-55-FN, also gas checked.

I use 5.8 grains of HP-38 or Win 231 and get 1700 fps with both bullets (2.155 OAL for the Lyman, 2.200 OAL for the NOE). I also use 5 grains of Titegroup for similar velocities. I tried Win 748 and CFE 223, for velocities over 1800 fps but had terrible accuracy issues. Some experts on this forum argue that you should not run a cast bullet faster than about 140,000 rpm (rotation speed). In a 1:9 twist barrel this means not over about 1750 fps-- so that might be the issue I had at 2000 fps. My rifle, in fact, is most accurate with cast bullets right at 1700 fps, and very quickly goes really bad as soon as I creep up toward 1800- so for my rifle, at least, the 140,000 rpm rule seems to apply. Your 21 grain W748 load is what I use with 55 grin jacketed bullets-- a very good load. I tried IMR4227 without success, but haven't tried Varget or Power Pro Varmint. I also don't know if the powder coating will let you go to a higher velocity.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I run 7 grains of red dot. Not cast though for light fmj. But that load is listed in the Lyman cast manuel. 100 yard group in pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8227.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	240328
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

My 12T R700 loves H4198 with the Lee 225-55rf,as cast .... taking extreme care seating GC. 3-1 Bw-vaseline lube in just the little space above GC. Seated with a custom made inline die that produces consistent <.001" runout. This is a "no bump" nose,seated in what may best be described as med. hard jam( oal). Basically going as long as possible to get above 95% on loaded round extraction. Which is "why" seating has to be near perfect..... along with no runout.

Pretty large load window cast from old WW, and a bit of rotometal,"dang near lino" thrown in. Water cooled. Using 222 "book" starting loads should get the 223 going around 2400fps or so,depending on your barrel. This rig will easily go up into 22-250 cast speeds. I never really found the upper limit to this window because of having a cpl 250's. The 223 700 stays around 2600fps and is a nice,lite varmint rig. Doesn't like too much wind though. 3 shot groups with no fouler,cold barrel start will flat out embarrass "most" JB guys. 5 shot groups start to string vertically a bit as the sporter brrl heats up QUICK. Very good,no make that excellent day to day cold bore,first round "X". Which is this rig's lot in life. Barrel needs to be dry mopped in the 20-40 round count. But,no fouler required to get back to killing. Good luck with your project. SD.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    If you're book doesn't list a certain powder go to the hodgden website they have some data. Don't use any unknown internet loads. I will usually not post loads in case I was to make a mistake
    I understand completely, thank you.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you very much, that what I was looking for.

Boolit Master

I use Red Dot & Trail boss, Unique will probably work as well.

Lymans cast bullet Manuel has loads IIRC

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

This is from the Lyman cast bullet manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    This is from the Lyman cast bullet manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Perfect, have you tried any loads, and does Lyman put out book JUST for cast bullets?

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yes.. Cast Boolit manual is just cast
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    you can find a .pdf copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, third edition, along with lots of other stuff here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...W1FR001OGcwTEk
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    22 cal is tough with cast boolits. Everything has to be just right for the stars to align. I load a 55gr lyman cast boolit over 20 gr of H335. Velocity from a 26 in Rem 700 with a 12 twist is around 2750 fps. Accuracy is around 2.5 in at 100 yds. My 16 in 9 twist AR accuracy is about the same. My biggest problem is getting the gc seated straight. I broke the linkage on my 450 lyman lub/sizer seating gcs by pushing too hard trying to get them on straight. Shopdog has a great idea with his inline seater. I am gathering materials to makk a gc seater/ boolit swager that should correct my problem. I got the idea from Bama, a member here. I made one for 30 cal boolits and solved a lot of problems. Good shooting and good luck!

Looking up at Conditor's pic......bttm left.

That 14.5g IMR4198,55g load has produced some groups that could win matches. It is one that I use on any 223 bolt gun when dialing in jam and fit. Then start adding powder,watching groups and bore condition. Work on neck clearance,it's one of the keys to getting day to day repeatability.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    YOU are the man, Thank you

Boolit Mold
    Providing some feedback on my investigation of finding load recipe for cast 223, powder coat, with gas check, fired from 16” AR15, with 1 in 9 twist. Accuracy, of each has not been verified, I am just trying to find, a suitable load, that cycles reliably. So the bulls are the same for data below, the powder, and weight of powder and OAL are variables.
    Powder. Powder weight Speed. (Avg) Cycled. Lock back. OAL
    Win 748, 23.5 2698. Yes. Yes. 2.1”
    Win748. 24. 2743. Yes. Yes. 2.1”
    Red dot. 8.0. 2126. No. No. 2.06”
    IMR4227. 13.0. 2066. No. No. 2.06”
    Red dot. 7.0. 1986. No. No. 2.06”
    IMR4227. 12.0. 1939. No. No. 2.06”
    I am trying to find a load, that does not use quite so much powder as Win748, and burn cleaner. The Red Dot and IMR4227 info came from Lyman load book.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    22 cal is tough with cast boolits. Everything has to be just right for the stars to align. I load a 55gr lyman cast boolit over 20 gr of H335. Velocity from a 26 in Rem 700 with a 12 twist is around 2750 fps. Accuracy is around 2.5 in at 100 yds. My 16 in 9 twist AR accuracy is about the same. My biggest problem is getting the gc seated straight. I broke the linkage on my 450 lyman lub/sizer seating gcs by pushing too hard trying to get them on straight. Shopdog has a great idea with his inline seater. I am gathering materials to makk a gc seater/ boolit swager that should correct my problem. I got the idea from Bama, a member here. I made one for 30 cal boolits and solved a lot of problems. Good shooting and good luck!

Please share with me the OAL of your AR cast round, your 20grains of H335 is interesting to me. What is the range of powder weight you have used, and do you get reliable last round lock back, and cycling of rounds. I am currently using Win 748, but it seems to be VERY dirty, but H335 is close in burn rate. I am powder coating after gas check applied, and they are beautiful.

Boolit Mold
    Question: Does anyone out there know of a recipe that is currently being used in reloading AR rounds with THE SOLE PURPOSE OF PLINKING USING AN AR15, NOT BOLT ACTION? This seems to be an elusive question. Lymans “cast” load book specifies the recipes represented are for bolt action. I am loading using cast 55 grain powder coated with gas check. I need recipe that includes type of powder, weight of powder and over all length. I assume all risk and liability, its not like its a secret that 223 rounds are being reloaded. I just ordered 1000 FMJ bullets for reloading, but love the ability of casting my own rounds, and have a wonderful process for powder coating them, but I am beginning to think it may not be beneficial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast