WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel sizer and 45 Colt

Boolit Bub

Steel sizer and 45 Colt

Howdy all,

For those of you who use a steel sizer instead of carbide for your 45 Colt, what lube do you recommend? Is Hornady One-Shot spray sufficient, or is it better to use something like Imperial?

Thank you.
    Last edited by blackhawk man; 04-24-2019 at 02:42 AM.

I use a little of my bullet lube which is crisco beeswax usually just don't overdo it

Boolit Bub
    Wow, that was fast. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady One-Shot spray is all I use. I do find the directions stating 1 minute dry time is enough may be an issue. Ten minutes is much better.

Some good discussion here https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/42-305248/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    M-Tecs,

Thanks. I like the idea of the spray because you don't have to clean it off. I even use it sometimes with the carbide die, because it makes it smoother and easier. I agree about the longer drying time.

I like 'Imperial for my 45 Colt sizing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk man View Post
    M-Tecs,

Thanks. I like the idea of the spray because you don't have to clean it off. I even use it sometimes with the carbide die, because it makes it smoother and easier. I agree about the longer drying time.
    Agreed

"As far as I know One Shot is the only spray lube commercially available that will not degrade powder or primer. If I am to use a progressive press in a truly progressive manner and not remove the lube before adding primer and powder I don't want a lube on and in my cases that stands a chance of damaging the powder and primer."
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Thank you hc18flyer. So far, one vote for home brew, one for One-Shot and one for Imperial. Guess I could have done a poll.

Boolit Bub
    There is also Hornady Unique Case Lube. According to Hornady, like the One-Shot it does not affect powder or primers. Anybody using that?
    Last edited by blackhawk man; 04-25-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Boolit Master

I use Unique case lube and tumble them for about 5 minutes in fine walnut with a little mineral spirits to remove the lube.

Boolit Master

1 part lanolin to 12 parts alcohol (99%)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Yep. Although with a straight wall case like the .45 Colt, you can probably get away with Hornady's One Stuck. Just don't use it with bottleneck cases.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Coincidentally the only times I ever got cases stuck in dies was when I used homebrewed concoctions or spray lubes. It's Imperial wax for me.

Better yet, snag a carbide sizer for that .45 and stop worrying about lubes!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    That's what I use also or Dillon spray lube. I have also used the OneShot lube and it works fine also. I tumble the lubed/sized cases in sawdust for 20 - 30 minutes to remove the lube then finish loading on a Dillon SDB.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the input, folks.

I'm thinking that this thread should have been in the "Reloading Equipment" forum. Sorry about that, Mods. Feel free to move this.
    Last edited by blackhawk man; 04-24-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just about any lube will work on the low pressure straight sided old timer.
    Lee Case Lube is a water soluble metal sizing wax that will dry and not contaminate and wipes away easily... I like it's non greasy/oily composition. Mix it with alcohol and put it in a spray bottle for a spray on lube.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Die hard here ...... still using STP . 3 wet 1 dry . I have carbide dies too but the carbine I shoot has a stoooooooopid fat chamber and the carbide dies over size the brass in the .481 diameter pistol cambers let alone the .49? carbine . I like to keep my brass around a while . I can't remember now but it takes them down to like .474 , plenty of neck tension if you don't mind the rattle .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

The last time I needed to size a case I wiped a little diesel on it because I didn't want to mix up lube just for cases when I can use what I have on hand so I guess any lube will work fyi I am captain cheapskate that's why I reload
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Moderator Emeritus

I use nothing other than Imperial (now purveyed by Redding) wax. I recently got an RCBS "Cowboy" sizer which is carbide (in .45 LC), and use the Imperial for this, too. The wax can neither affect primers nor powder; will make denting cases on bottleneck cartridges an impossibility; and, with many thousands of cases it has been used on -- still on my first can. Attachment 240502

Boolit Grand Master

I don't load 45 Colt but use Bag Balm for all my resizing - including forming cases. And George, if you find something that can actually kill a primer let us know! One advantage of Bag Balm is that it is good for the skin, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast