Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 bp loads and lube

45-70 bp loads and lube

I have asked several questions here on this cartridge and loading bp for it finally ordered some powder and a wad punch, have molds, soft alloy, tools handy. but all I have for lube is the Lyman gunk that came with the lube sizer some wax toilet rings and some moly grease that I was going to use to make my own. In a previous thread someone had said bacon grease, maybe jokingly but what else can or should be used to make my own. I’ll probably pan lube and cookie cut these bullets.

Shooting a Henry H010 if it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The bacon grease wasn’t a joke

Hope you handle the .45-70 addiction better than some of us, and your family doesn't schedule a intervention.

I've brewed low tech, home made lube over the years.
    I wouldn't use bacon grease since it can turn rancid if you don't use it for awhile.

What I've done in years past was gather up and melt all the kid's broken crayons and some old candles.
    Melt it down and keep thinning it with high temp disc brake grease---- the old can with some dirt in it will do fine.
    And maybe a bump of good quality motor oil if you don't have quite enough grease.

I never used it for those eye watering screamers- just in things going under about 14-1500 fps.
    When ya fire it,,,, yeah,,,,,, it stinks, but it worked OK.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

For a bp lube you want non petroleum products like crisco lard beeswax olive oil maybe castor seed oil if it will mix any naturally occurring oils or wax i use a mix of crisco beeswax in my guns. You can use petroleum products if you like scrubbing more but Im lazy your mileage may vary

Your toilet ring may or may not be bees wax. Suggest you to to Hobby Lobby or a similar store and get a known commodity. Many effective lubes out there and no one is more right than anyone else. Personally, I’ve been using Garo Feo’s lube for about three years and like it

I’m sure the wax rings are some oil based wax I’ll look around for some beeswax to give the lube some structure. Though crisco might be hard enough to set in the groves and a dab of some cooking oil from the wife we might be cooking something here. Any ideas on proportions? I’m guessing a softer lube is required for bp but how will I know when I’ve done made it to soft?

Using Tapatalk

50/50 crisco for my climate most of the time you're going to have to do a little experimenting but the 50/50 mix is a good start crisco beeswax

If your doing bpcr pan lube and use grease cookie if you notice hard fouling. if bp revolver w RBs pour the melted concoction down the bbl with the other side blocked and make lube sticks then cut them in 1/4 inch cookies put between powder and ball. I've never had contaminated powder if I mix it right

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Emmett's Improved mx for BP. Its worked well for me pan lubing with a cake cutter.
    Emmert Improved Regular Emmerts
    50% beeswax 50% beeswax
    40% Crisco unsalted shortening 40% unsalted Crisco shortening
    5% canola or olive oil 10% canola or olive oil
    5% anhydrous Lanolin

In a double boiler melt beeswax Crisco and oil together when liquid add lanolin if desired. I cook and stir for 5 -8 mins. A small drop of murphy's oil soap helps to blend the ingredients. I use and recommend the double boiler as it reduces chances of scorching the ingredients and lowers chances of fires melting flammable ingredients

Boolit Master

Unsalted lard and beeswax 50/50. Add more beeswax if you need it stiffer.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned

bp lube is critical, so do it right, use a real bp lube that's been proven.

buy some SPG lube and be done with it.

or if you have a need to DIY, mix up some gato feo by double boiler melting (by weight) 1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works), 1 part paraffin canning wax (gulf), 1/2 part pure beeswax. pour into milk or juice carton to solidify.

there are any number of ways of lubing bullets, i prefer dip lubing ... or pan lubing.

Boolit Buddy
    Why take a chance and start off on the wrong foot. Use S.P.G. lube especially designed for Black Powder and relax.

45-70 bp loads and lube

I’m not sure about everyone else but in the summer it gets upwards of 120 and in the winter in the teens. I try not to do Much in either extreme but time shootin is time shootin. I may buy some spg later but for now I’m gonna try and home brew everything I can.

Last edited by TaylorS; 04-24-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

SPG has a new hi-temp formula.

with gato feo, increase the beeswax and/or paraffin to increase its resistance to higher ambient temperatures.

The reason I use Gato Feo’s lube is because it works in Florida’s hot summers. I’ve not found a need to adjust the ratios because of the heat. Never found lube migration due to the heat. Cold ain’t no problem!

As s far as heat and cold I'd image those store bought lubes could cause problems in the winter in northern climates it can get as low as -50 up here and even colder in ak but I'd bet there's not going to be many hunting in those conditions

Boolit Master
    A tub of SPG or DGL is pretty cheap. I shoot thousands of rounds of BP per year and I buy 2lbs of lube a other year. That is about $40 per year in lube compared to well over $1500 a year in powder. Lube is cheap

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Bacon is a salt cured meat. If you get salty bacon grease it may be a bad joke in terms of corrosion of everything steel that it contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by bustermchooter View Post
    The bacon grease wasn’t a joke

EDG

Boolit Buddy
    For interest sake, how good is the Layman Black powder lube ?
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I have asked several questions here on this cartridge and loading bp for it finally ordered some powder and a wad punch, have molds, soft alloy, tools handy. but all I have for lube is the Lyman gunk that came with the lube sizer some wax toilet rings and some moly grease that I was going to use to make my own. In a previous thread someone had said bacon grease, maybe jokingly but what else can or should be used to make my own. I’ll probably pan lube and cookie cut these bullets.

Shooting a Henry H010 if it matters.

Do it the easy way since your going to pan lube to start with. Hobby lobby sells a pound block for about 15 dollars. Wally sells a 3 pound can of salt free Crisco for about 5 dollars. Double boiler a pound of Crisco with the pound of beeswax from hobby lobby and add a half cup of olive oil to it stirring all the time and pour it into the pan your boots are standing up in. Leave extra lube in pan for next time but cover the top to keep lube free of debris. Done deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast