Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 460s&w ?

460s&w ?

Anyone using a 460S&W chamber, perhaps in a former 45Colt single shot, taking advantage of off the shelf revolver molds and the increased case volume with BP? If so what results have you had?

Boolit Master
    I don’t know how much BP the 460 S&W would hold, I suspect that it would be like shooting an old Walker Colt. I think the Walker Colts could hold 60 grs.

Probably about right. Was thinking that with some serious lube cookies it could make a fine rifle cartridge with a wide selection of molds to play with.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I did the 45 Raptor , the rimless version , in a Mauser . Let's say that a 6.5 lb /3 kg rifle becomes uncomfortable to shoot when a 350 crosses 1800 fps ........

In that configuration I can use all the way up to the 535 Postell style bullet with a .454 sizer . The 45-60 straight wall fudge the rules cartridge is a 45-70 cut back from 2.1 to 1.8 so I'm thinking that you'll only get about 60-62 gr under a 45-200 or maybe a 452-255 under the heavies for 45 rifles it could be as low as 45-55 gr maybe . For what it's worth a 535 Postell ANJ4 NOE at just 1100 fps MV runs 8" high at 100yd , 8" low at 200 with a 150 yd zero and carries 1000# past 350 yd . So even at punkin roller speeds in short loads it's kind of a thumper .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    And for what?
    Expensive brass. Stupid .452 pistol bore.

Std 45-70 does it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    beltfed/arnie

Now Arnie did all that snow your getting now put you in a bad mood this morning
    But I agree

Boolit Master

Personally speaking altho I have a “few” 45 gubmint rifles. Im very much more “invested” in the 45Colt/acp. Years ago I bought a 454 so I wouldnt have a chance of a hot load making it into a expensive Colt. Then couple years ago I “discovered” the 450 Bushmaster. (Linda a LWT 460.) Even at it reduced 460 velocity it trumps the 454 Powerhouse.

Im enjoying it in a bolt gun. I actually traded one 454 rifle when I bought it!

I always “resisted” the 460 because I had 45/70’s and felt it couldnt do anything I was already able to do.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    The way I see it, on paper anyway, the .460 S&W is at the boundary between pistol and rifle performance...anyone looking for .460 S&W performance may as well just get a 444 Marlin.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master
    I'm thinkin loaded with blackpowder in a cartridge conversion walker colt might be kinda kool - would that work ?

In the Walker I just used RCBS 45-225-CAV with the hind end sized to slip into the chambers.
    I should cast some of those up and paper patch them for the .458 bore TC New Englander.
    But about the 460S&W, I've used boolit designs (including bore rider) in a single shot 45 Colt to minimize the amount of lead in the case and maximize the black. I think the amount of black a 460 would hold could be just right for the various available molds.

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    The way I see it, on paper anyway, the .460 S&W is at the boundary between pistol and rifle performance...anyone looking for .460 S&W performance may as well just get a 444 Marlin.
    R/Griff
    Yeah, being at that crossover in case volume is why I think 460 probably has just about all the black capacity that would be useful with the myriad available mold designs (something .44's just don't have). That's what makes the case design attractive, having the space for black, lube cookie and boolit. If all that is desired is horse power then just loading the 45 Colt with a bore rider (to preserve case capacity) and smokeless does the trick.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-380 test load.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	240567