MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Early Ruger Single Six 22lr long barrel value?

Early Ruger Single Six 22lr long barrel value?

A local pawn shop has a fairly early Ruger Single Six convertible with the very long(9.5 inch?) barrel on it. Seems to be in great shape. Has the black plastic grip panels on it.
    How accurate are they?
    What would be it's value?

Boolit Master
    tazman, they can be very accurate...depending on the individual gun and ammo used. I used on to shoot IHMSA silhouette back in the 1990's with one, and with Eley target ammo I shot some very, very good groups with it. Off bags at the bench it would shoot under an inch at fifty yards (I had a scope on it to try different ammo, I didn't shoot it scoped). I took that gun to the IHMSA International shoot in Knoxville, Tn, and shot a 77x80 with it and came in at third place. That gun beat a lot of very, very expensive revolvers. I don't know the value, but I don't think they're all that high. In fact, you probably won't find many who want a barrel that long. For accuracy though, the longer sight radius helps a lot. If you're interested and the price is right, it's probably a good shooter with the right ammo.

Boolit Master

I had one with the 9 1/2" barrel back in 1968 or 69. It was accurate enough to make head shots on squirrels at 50 yards, but, my eyes were better back then.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post

A local pawn shop has a fairly early Ruger Single Six convertible with the very long(9.5 inch ?) barrel on it.

What would be it's value ?
    What is the config of your SS's frame ? ( ie, a 3-screw frame, or a 2-pin frame ? )

I don't think it's a early (aka: Old Model/OM/3-screw) Single-Six Convertible, because the SS was introduced in 1953, and convertibles were not made as such by Ruger prior to 1962.

A .22WRM cylinder might, however, have been added to an OM after it left the factory.

The early/Old Model/3-screw SS's with 9-1/2" bbls were made from 1959-1962, and do carry a premium as such.

You can check the customer service section of Ruger's website ( www.ruger.com ) for the year your SS was made (the SN will tell the tale).

The later New Model/2-pin SS was introduced in 1973, in all bbl lengths, as a convertible.

A few (aka: rare) 9-1/2" ( and two shorter bbl'd SS') bbl'd New Model SS's, made in 1974-75, are ID'd via a star stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame - and also carry a premium.

Last edited by pietro; 04-23-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    What is the config of your SS's frame ? ( ie, a 3-screw frame, or a 2-pin frame ? )

I don't think it's a early (aka: Old Model/OM/3-screw) Single-Six Convertible, because the SS was introduced in 1953, and convertibles were not made as such by Ruger prior to 1962.

A .22WRM cylinder might, however, have been added to an OM after it left the factory.

The early/Old Model/3-screw SS's with 9-1/2" bbls were made from 1959-1962, and do carry a premium as such.

You can check the customer service section of Ruger's website ( www.ruger.com ) for the year your SS was made (the SN will tell the tale).

The later New Model/2-pin SS was introduced in 1973, in all bbl lengths, as a convertible.

A few (aka: rare) 9-1/2" ( and two shorter bbl'd SS') bbl'd New Model SS's, made in 1974-75, are ID'd via a star stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame - and also carry a premium.

Sorry. I really can't answer your question properly. I am unfamiliar with single six revolvers so I am not aware of the history or details of the SS revolver. I simply didn't know what to look for or at.
    The revolver is still in the store. I haven't purchased it and may not. Just trying to get a feel for what it might be worth.
    His asking price is $529.

At least you now have the info to return to the store & know what you're looking at...……..

If it's a run-of-the-mill New Model (2 action pivot pins), I would want to pay under $500 OTD.

If it's an Old Model (3 action pivot pins) with an extra cylinder, the price is right.

If it's a New Model with the star mark, it's a steal at that price.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I've had the 9.5" barrel on a SS .22 and a SSM .32 H&R. They were neat but my 6.5" was more accurate in my hands in the .32. The buntlines are fun; I think that one is overpriced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a ruger single six convertible - never been impressed with the accuracy - it shoots better with HV ammo than with target stuff - even at that it is fussy on ammo
    I can shoot a better target with my cap and ball gun (1851 navy 44cal) - have considered scrapping the magnum cylinder and fitting a proper dimensioned 22lr barrel, may do that one day. I think it has potential but suffers from being a compromise - oversize barrel to suit the magnum round.
    Have not checked cylinder throat dimensions on mine (a ruger problem on bigger revolvers - could be this one too?)
    If the Italians are still making their 1873 Colt repros in 22lr that would be where I would look first (thats just me)

Boolit Grand Master

The early Ruger Singles had .222" barrels. If I remember correctly the first of the convertibles had .222" but soon after the convertibles came out they switched to .224" barrels. The oversize barrel normally doesn't help accuracy. I did not know this when I traded OM for NM convertible in 1974. The NM shot great with 22 Mag but with LR it was much less accurate. The OM shot very well. Wish I still had it.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Paco Kelly makes the “accurizer”. This allows you to change the size of your ammo enough to compensate for the barrel difference.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Paco Kelly makes the “accurizer”. This allows you to change the size of your ammo enough to compensate for the barrel difference.
    I was not aware of these. Thanks

https://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm

http://pacotools.com/tool_discriptions
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer