WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataPBcastco
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady Frontier Lead Bullets #10428

Boolit Grand Master

I've loaded a thousand of them in 38 SPL +P loads (5.5 gr Unique) which gave 980 fps out of a 4" M15 and 1010 fps out of my 5" M15.

I TL'd them with a light coat of LLA and let thoroughly dry before loading. I seated and crimped with a medium crimp almost exactly as the picute posted by Texas by God shows. With the additional coat of LLA I got no leading. Expansion was excellent and equal to the Winchester and Federal +P LSWCHP factory loads in sopping wet newsprint. I developed that load to equal the velocity of the factory Win/Fed +P loads back in the 70's. Recent pressure testing (Oehler M43 PBL with a Contender test barrel) shows the psi is within SAAMI +P MAP for the 38 SPL.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I've used those in the past, and they are indeed like the hollow based wadcutters in terms of hardness. Also like the HBWC bullet, they are already lubed with a dry powder coating (mica?). It's a very effective bullet in a 38Spcl, they expand a lot at 38 Spcl speeds. Mine blew an exit hole almost 2" diameter in a jackrabbit.

Banned

Hornady Frontier Lead Bullets #10428

Thanks for all the replies and input, men.
    I just got off the phone with Hornady CS, they confirmed the whole Frontier Lead product line is plain old lead...5 HB.
    I intend to find an effective way to de-lube them so I can powder coat them so I can load them to velocities above 1,000 FPS. Maybe boil them in water? Soak in 99% isopropyl alcohol? Or Gasoline?
    I don’t suppose paper-patching is an another option?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I've used those in the past, and they are indeed like the hollow based wadcutters in terms of hardness. Also like the HBWC bullet, they are already lubed with a dry powder coating (mica?). It's a very effective bullet in a 38Spcl, they expand a lot at 38 Spcl speeds. Mine blew an exit hole almost 2" diameter in a jackrabbit.
    Oh yeah, that’s what I like to hear!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and input, men.
    I just got off the phone with Hornady CS, they confirmed the whole Frontier Lead product line is plain old lead...5 HB.
    I intend to find an effective way to de-lube them so I can powder coat them so I can load them to velocities above 1,000 FPS. Maybe boil them in water? Soak in 99% isopropyl alcohol? Or Gasoline?
    I don’t suppose paper-patching is an another option?
    De lubing bullets is a lot of trouble, especially when several people on this thread have told you they can be shot over 1000 FPS without leading. Tumbling them in LLA like Larry said will take 30 seconds plus the drying time and will be as good a lube as you can find for pistol velocities.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I haven't bought any of these in a very long time but they used to be dead soft or close to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    De lubing bullets is a lot of trouble, especially when several people on this thread have told you they can be shot over 1000 FPS without leading. Tumbling them in LLA like Larry said will take 30 seconds plus the drying time and will be as good a lube as you can find for pistol velocities.
    I already said I’ve loaded 100 of them right out of the box with 3.5 grains of TiteGroup, and I will shoot the hell out of them and see what happens .
    I prefer powder-coating, and therefore am interested in boolits that don’t have a lube groove or gas check. These fit the bill. Also the Lee 358-158-RF with the tapered heel, if it didn’t have a lube groove it would be exactly what I have in mind.

I appreciate all the input, I’m still learning, and yes, listening too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12