RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet selection for use over Trail Boss??????

Boolit Bub

Bullet selection for use over Trail Boss??????

I am asking because I would like to try using Trail Boss in a new .222 ( 20 inch heavy 1:14 twist barrel ) I recently acquired to try to replicate .22LR/.22Mag loads for target and pest control.

My question is if anyone that has used Trail Boss can say whether they got their best accuracy results with a heavier or lighter weight bullet?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GBCAPT View Post
    I am asking because I would like to try using Trail Boss in a new .222 ( 20 inch heavy 1:14 twist barrel ) I recently acquired to try to replicate .22LR/.22Mag loads for target and pest control.

My question is if anyone that has used Trail Boss can say whether they got their best accuracy results with a heavier or lighter weight bullet?

Thanks!
    Perhaps you already know this, but I was told to load Trail Boss to the base of the bullet for most all cartridges. There is a PDF file Hodgdon has on the interweb specifically for reduced Trail Boss loads. I had the best results using heavier bullets with that data. I have used it for making "grouse loads" in our big game rifles for small game while elk hunting.
    Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 04-23-2019 at 05:22 PM.

In any cartridge a full case of TB is the desired load because TB is meant to be a reduced powder and fills a case with very little weight but do not compress just as with most fast burning powders they build pressures quick with TB it's almost instantly

I still prefer bp to tb

A .22 cast might be too small... Those little donuts are pretty big.
    I use trail boss in 44 mag and in 45/70 for low velocity loads and like it quite a bit. Also, my favorite thing to do to someone who wants to get into hand loading is to bring my ruger redhawk in 44 mag to the range. Then have 50 or so of 1) trail boss loads, 2) unique loads and 3) W296 loads.

Then put in the TB, then the Unique and then the W296. And tell them - this one is not really going to kick, this one is going to have some oomph and hold on tight and don't get your face near the back of the gun. Most people are pretty amazed how different the same boolit can feel in the same gun.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    The base of the bullet is your max load, avoid any compression. Then they say to start at 70% and work up. I have found best accuracy at 80 to 90%.

Boolit Master
    I use 4.0gr Trail Boss under a 60gr boolit in .223
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Any bullet that suits you will work a cull case of TB will give you the best accuracy more than likely
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both