WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buck Shot to Split Shot ?

Boolit Master

Buck Shot to Split Shot ?

I want to split some almost pure lead #4 Buck and #2 Buck Shot to use as split shot
    As with the price of buying split shot is way to high IMO

I have a idea for a jig to stop me from cutting the buck shot all the way through
    So I was wondering what you think would be better
    A chisel or a knife ?

Or is there something better ?

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

A knife might be the better of the 2 for a finer more even cut. You might try a exacto knife blade and lightly tap with a hammer.

Another way that might be even easier is to use some thin aluminum sheet in the mould and cast with the cut in place.

Boolit Master

I cannot find a photo of this to save my life but a large knife hinged at the tip similar to a paper cutter except attached to cut straight down into the board. Put a divot in the board to hold the shot in place and as deep as you want to stop the cut. Sorta like your pocket knife only in reverse.
    OK similar to a cone cutter for sampling conifer cones................there's a cone cutter shown in this document if you care to look it up.
    Page 2 I think.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...z2EfMesbWLkALZ
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    I cannot find a photo of this to save my life but a large knife hinged at the tip similar to a paper cutter except attached to cut straight down into the board. Put a divot in the board to hold the shot in place and as deep as you want to stop the cut. Sorta like your pocket knife only in reverse.
    OK similar to a cone cutter for sampling conifer cones................there's a cone cutter shown in this document if you care to look it up.
    Page 2 I think.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...z2EfMesbWLkALZ
    Thanks
    I think that hing system should work

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Boolit Master

I have a double split shot mold, large on one side, small on the other. A shortened hacksaw blade with the teeth filed off lays in a slot in the middle. Been a while since I used it, can't remember how many each side produces.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    SNIP...

Or is there something better ?
    I'd think casting them would be better.
    I wish you lived closer, I'd borrow you a couple of my Do-It Molds.
    Or you could search out a mold that has the sizes you prefer.

Attachment 240313
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have several split shot molds
    I even have 2 Do It Split shot molds , 1 removeable type and 1 non removeable type

But IMO all of the molds fail to produce a split shot that holds to the line well
    Err you can really pinch the cast split shot HARD with a pliers and it holds OK
    I feel that all split shot molds have a flaw , they have to let you remove the split shot from the mold
    Leaving a parting line area that has a square base profile that lets the line slide through
    But IMO I have never gotten as good of a hold as with "Cut" split shot

So I am going to try and make a cut type split shot

John

Boolit Master

I used my .310 buck from my Lee mold for deep sinkers when I was catfishing in GA. I used Ace Hardware pruning shears to cut halfway through the pellet and then crimped with pliers to the fishing line.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...56194005330195
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used an old butcher knife to do it. Drill a hole less than half diameter of the buckshot, center the blade, and give it a whack with a chunk of wood.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

One reason the current split shot don't grip as well now is the new mono lines are much thinner than they used to be for a given test weight. A fine cut will grip better Im sure. A hacksaw blade as is cuts about .032 wider depending on set the back edge is around .025 wide still probably wider than what you want. But the set can be ground off a blade and thinned to close to where you want it Ive gone as thin as .010 wide for cutting slots in parts. I thinned blades in a surface grinder. It can be done by hand but would be a real chore. There may be jewelers blades that are thinner. I think the dremil saw blades are around .015 and would make the cut you want

Boolit Grand Master

What Waksupi said, that's how we do it to,

Boolit Master
    I use an anvil type pruning spear. You know where the blade meets a flat surface on what would be the other blade. Very easy to control.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

They make casting molds for everything including split shot and snagging hooks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I use an anvil type pruning spear. You know where the blade meets a flat surface on what would be the other blade. Very easy to control.
    Boy, this sounds like the way to go, if I were to do what the OP is asking about.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Craftsman makes a utility cutter that uses box knife blades with a flat anvil surface opposite the blade. The box knife blade would be strong enough to not deflect like the craftsman multicut.

Hmm I got a bunch of 457 and 430 RBs wonder if they would make good trolling weight s

Boolit Buddy
    Something along the lines of a 'pill cutter' would be a design option.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Try the anvil pruning shear first . A finger on each side of the shot will hold it and a controlled cut can be made . Nothing else required and it sounds safe ...
    Do-It still sells sinker moulds ( www.do-itmolds.com) casting them might be more productive than cutting buckshot .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Not sure but might try a set of cutting pliers with one side of cutter ground flat. Only $5 or $6 may be worth a try.

Boolit Master

The reason I am going to cut Buck Shot is I fish Braid for Small Mouth Bass & Large Mouth Bass in the local ponds , rivers and creeks in part

Is that I fish 6 or 8 lb braid
    The 6 lb braid claims to be the same size as 1 lb mono and the 8 lb braid claims to be 2 lb mono size

Non of the split shot molds will hold at all , unless I crimp down hard with pliers

Factory split shot hold for a while
    I cut 50 #4 buck shot into split shot last night
    IMO , I think they will hold almost as good as factory split shot

As soon as the river clears up some , I plan on trying out my cut shot
    I never keep the bass

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast