MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
PBcastco Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti 1885 .45 Colt

All of which is moot ... the O P mentioned that his rifle ... the one he asked questions about ... is a Uberti HIWALL chambered in 45 Colt.

No worries as the Miroku Japchester with equal metal supporting the heavy breech block ... is chambered in 375 H&H mag.

I would go out on a limb and say that loading a 45 Colt will NEVER get to the point of pressure and thrust of the old Holland n Holland round.

Also please know that under the 255 grain boolit, 9 grains of Unique is the equal of the old Colt black powder loads.

Wanna get your eyes opened concerning the beloved 45 Colt round ... here is what to do ... load 40 grains of Ol E or Swiss 3Fg black powder under your 255 grain boolit. Fire this in your revolver and report back with your impression of the ORIGINAL 1873 loads for the 73 SAA Colt revolver. There is good reason for the US Army to request that they be toned down a little for the troops.

That 40 grain load is not for the faint of heart ... I assure you.
    Last edited by bigted; 05-12-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Foolish omitance of info

Whoa Whoa whoa lets back up a minute... You have a Uberti High wall in 45 Colt?????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????? Was it a special run? And if yes who for? Now how do i get one from the USA to Australia... ??

No special run. Uberti has manufactured the 45 Colt in their copy of the Winchester 1885 High Wall rifle. I too covet one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    No special run. Uberti has manufactured the 45 Colt in their copy of the Winchester 1885 High Wall rifle. I too covet one.
    Never seen one down here in Oz... wish i had... Id own one for sure....

It is a high wall in .45 Colt. At this point I am trying to find a normal load, e.g., 8.5 gn of Unique under 255 gn bullets. I can shoot the same load in my old(er) model Vaquero. I did not find shooting hot loads to be fun nor necessary. And this is not really a mild load.

Boolit Master

Well that rifle will handle hot loads (within reason of course) so you are staying well within a safe range and have nothing to worry about. Original 1885 Winchesters would handle very hot loads and it's known that Winchester even used 1885 HighWall actions to test fire new high pressure loadings, modern 1885 HighWalls made of modern steels will handle Ruger no.1 pressures (I am not recommended it but it is done) although Uberti recommends staying within 28,000 PSI I seriously doubt the steel used to make the Uberti is inferior to what Winchester used years ago.

I have personally fired 45/70 loads in one that were much higher than 28,000 PSI and the fella that owns it does so all the time, personally I think he is nuts but only because of the painful recoil as I personally have no concerns about the rifle, again this is just me and I am NOT recommending it to be a safe thing to do.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    I have a Uberti 1885 Hi Wall in 45 Colt also and love it! And it shoots great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12