Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spray case lubes

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If ya read the ingredients label on aerosol welding anti-splatter--- its the same as canola cooking spray.
    As a career long welder you just blew my mind!

Case lubes: lanolin for rifle, one-shot for pistol.

Boolit Grand Master

I use and like the Dillon lube. I'm another that uses a ZipLoc bag to hold the cases. I've used most of the case lubes on the market and most of them work ok. I did stick a couple of cases using One Shot, and yes, I did read and follow the directions.

Boolit Grand Master

When using Hornady One Shot following the directions may be the problem. The directions state letting it dry for one minute. I tend to do large batches at a time. A ten minute dry time is good but I normally do 1/2 hour dry time. If you don't believe me spray one case and run it without any dry time.

Some good discussion on One Shot here including one of the two reasons I use it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/42-305248/

"As far as I know One Shot is the only spray lube commercially available that will not degrade powder or primer. If I am to use a progressive press in a truly progressive manner and not remove the lube before adding primer and powder I don't want a lube on and in my cases that stands a chance of damaging the powder and primer."
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I long ago switched over to the alcohol/lanolin mix for a case lube. Use the red Heet and get the liquid lanolin from a company called "iherb" on the net. A 4 oz bottle was a bit over $7 and orders over $20 shipped free last time I bought some. I don't skimp and mix the 4oz bottle with the bottle of Heet for a 4/1 mix. At one time I did find One Shot in a spray bottle, was about twice the quantity in the spray cans and a bit cheaper.

I just ordered some lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol from amazon. I decided it is worth a try. The one shot has worked good for me, but it seems expensive and I always run out at the most inconvenient times.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    If you run a search for 'homemade case lube', you'll find links to several threads on the subject. I, myself, have been using an 10-1 mix of 91% alcohol/lanolin, applied from a spray bottle, for several years.

Bill
    This is a great lube. I just put 50 or so cases in a large plastic bag,spray some in and let sit for a minute or so after shaking the bag. Best lube I've found and oh so cheap!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

I also use Dillon spray lube or make my own out of lanolin and alcohol. The Dillon goes a long ways and is not expensive. I use lanolin on a pad to lube the old way also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Have used One Shot for several years. didn't work recently. Not sure why but I used Imperial Sizing Wax with outstanding results. May not have gotten One Shot far enough down on the base of the cases.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the alcohol lanolin mix, have been using it for several years, never had a problem. I put my brass in a big plastic bag, spray in a couple sprays, mix bras repeat then spread out to dry. Have reloaded about 10k rounds and still have most of the bottle left. Great stuff real cheap!

Boolit Master

The Dillon spray lube is my favorite. I’ve also made it from lanolin and 99% alcohol. Never a stuck case as long as I gave it time for the alcohol to evaporate. I’ve been impatient with .223 a few times and got to use the stuck case remover every time. The rest of the batch was ready by the time I got the stuck case out of the die.

I’ve tried Hornady and RCBS and went back to Dillon.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Man
    Good conversation to have. I gave up on the RCBS lube pad when I tried One Shot but I find the Hornady Unique Wax was even easier. That is my go to lube when I am only sizing a few cases but for bulk the 99% alcohol/lanolin is the only lube I use. Just so you know I use the alcohol mix on my PC Boolits before sizing too. I am amazed at how easy they are to size after a few sprays in a plastic bag and an overnight dry!

Boolit Master

Don't use Chapstick...........especially on a .380 case in RCBS dies.....trust me.

Boolit Master
    My favorite is ordinary store brand pan spray coating. A light spritz over a tub of cases, mix them up well to distribute it evenly and they'll size easily. Some percentage (1/4 - 1/3) of the cases should be vertical to get a little inside the case mouth for lubing expander buttons/M-dies. The only down side is using lye-based oven cleaner/hot water wash to get them squeaky clean. A squirt of dawn helps with this too, but to remove all traces of the pan spray, I've always used the oven cleaner. Some use solvents of various kinds, and they work, but oven cleaner is cheap - just step away after you spray so you don't inhale any. Over time, vegetable oil will gum up and become tacky, affecting reliability in semi-autos. For a handful of experimental rounds to be consumed quickly, I don't bother cleaning, but for long term storage it becomes necessary.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 04-29-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Spray lubes worked fine for me but the 4 oz. tubs last a lot longer. I just give a quick scrape of the case mouth on my fingertip to get some lube inside the neck, haven't had a stuck case or worn expander yet.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12