Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray case lubes

Spray case lubes

Anyone ever try the non aerosol pump type case lubes? I have always used hornady one shot. I don’t really know why. It was always easily obtainable and it worked. Well I keep a wishlist on midway and was thinking of placing an order. I noticed the one shot was out of stock. I started looking for alternatives, and stumbled onto some lyman slick something, and it kind of looked cheaper and just as convenient. Several other companies sell them. Has anyone tried any of this stuff? The hornady can doesn’t seem to last very long. A large pump type might last longer. What do you think?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

They all work.
    I had a few bottles of the real heavy thick stuff that you'd put on your hands and roll a few brass
    in between them like you were warming your hands.

It did well on the outside, but no much for the inside of the neck, and my expander balls would wear out way too soon.

Lately I've been using a real thin penetrating oil in a big spray can.
    Lay out a bunch of cases facing me, spray it across them hitting the inside of the necks too.
    That over lubes the outside, but if ya blot them with a paper towel before picking up 4-5
    and rolling them in your hands, it does OK. Every once in awhile, you need to dry your hands,
    but it works, and you can get a pretty fast rhythm going.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Hornady One-Shot for me, best thing since creation of the cheeseburger!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

If you run a search for 'homemade case lube', you'll find links to several threads on the subject. I, myself, have been using an 10-1 mix of 91% alcohol/lanolin, applied from a spray bottle, for several years.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I use the Hornady One Shot as well and have had zero problems with it.
    I have been given a pump bottle of Dillon case lube by a man who was getting out of reloading. I haven't tried it yet but the reviews are good.

Boolit Buddy
    Gave up on Hornady One Stuck about 25 years ago, after it went 3 for 3 getting .223 and .308 cases stuck. Went back to my old Lyman Lube pad for a long time. Started using homemade Lanolin and Heet a few years ago, loaded thousands of .30-06, 308 and 223 with a total of two stuck cases since switching, and those were my fault of not letting the alcohol fully evaporate before sizing.

Boolit Master
    You can make your own spray case sizing lube by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Most places don't carry 99% isopropyl alcohol, so the best way to get it is by buying a 12 oz. bottle (red bottle) of Iso-HEET gas line antifreeze which is 99% isopropyl alcohol. You need to use pure liquid lanolin, and while some health food stores may carry it, I have never found it locally and have always ordered 4 oz. bottles on Amazon. What I do is mark the 4 oz. bottle of liquid lanolin to indicate where each 1 oz resides in the bottle. You will be using 1 oz. of liquid lanolin with the full 12 oz. bottle of Iso-HEET. So now you put a pot full of water on the stove and heat the water up to nearly boiling and, this is important, SHUT THE STOVE OFF SO THERE IS NO FLAME! Now, place both the lanolin bottle and the Iso-HEET bottle in the hot water to heat them up. After both have become hot from the hot water they were placed in, remove them and pour 1 oz. of the liquid lanolin in your spray bootle, and the full 12 oz. bottle of Iso-HEET in there as well. Now shake it up so that they go into suspension. You now have the finest spray lube on the planet. Hope that helps.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I've been a Hornady One Shot user for many years. Loaded thousands of 223 and 308, without any problem. They do make a 10oz can available from Midway.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

I been spraying cooking oil on my lube pad. Just a light spritz then i rub it in with a cloth .It works great. Olive oil to be exact. My family said i have the best tasting ammo in town lol.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I been spraying cooking oil on my lube pad. Just a light spritz then i rub it in with a cloth .It works great. Olive oil to be exact. My family said i have the best tasting ammo in town lol.
    Hmmm,,, never thought of that.
    It is some amazing stuff.

If ya read the ingredients label on aerosol welding anti-splatter--- its the same as canola cooking spray.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I used some midway pump spray on lube , It was ok but to clean it off when doing large batches was a pain , went back to rcbs lube on pad and it washes right off and dry the cases in large batches in oven , just what worked best for me , everyone has their own preference and system , just find what works the best for you and your method .

Boolit Grand Master

I am a huge fan of Hornady One Shot. I have done a around 200K with it and never hand an issue. When I first started using progressives with case feeders I was using Dillon pump spray lube. It worked very well as a case sizing lube but the two issues were case clean up and it gummed the case feeders up.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Red face

Swore off Hornady one **** years ago. Occasional & annoying stuck cases unless you saturate things.

Been making my own for that long, its cheap and easy. Dillon pump spray is same stuff but loads more costly. Im actually using one of there bottles for mine.

Once you do this you will never go back. Its far superior. ONLY thing better is Imperial sizing wax. I use that for all case forming duties.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Don't forget the garlic.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I too use the liquid lanolin and iso heet. If it works on 30 carbine, it will work on anything!!!!!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use the lee lube i check my brass while applying. never had a stuck case and it comes off easy. Its just what i started with and never saw a reason to change.

Boolit Buddy
    I also haven't found any commercial case lube that works better than lanolin/alcohol mixture. For me I have found the least messy and convenient method to apply it is by filling a 1 qt ziploc baggy about half full with the brass then spray the mixture into the baggy (it only takes a three or four spritzes). Then work the brass around in the bag for a minute, then allow the alcohol to evaporate. Works like a charm for me and it's economical. Don't forget to shake up the spray bottle before use as the lanolin will settle out of suspension fairly rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    If you run a search for 'homemade case lube', you'll find links to several threads on the subject. I, myself, have been using an 10-1 mix of 91% alcohol/lanolin, applied from a spray bottle, for several years.

Bill
    This is my next ratio I did 2:1 and its a bit much but works 10 times better then one shot and alot cheaper

Boolit Grand Master

I make up a spray with Lee Case Lube ( the white stuff in a tube) dissolved in denatured alcohol and put in a small spray bottle. Spritz the cases in a plastic container , roll around , they dry in a few seconds and they are ready to lube .
    I use this for all handgun cases and have never had a problem. Much easier way to lube than using your fingers .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post

Bill
    This works very well for me, but use 99% alcohol. Have tried a lot of different case lubes and keep using this one. The only other one is 10 parts 99% alcohol and 1 part Lee case lube.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fralic76; 04-23-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast