Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffington sights

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Buffington sights

I'd picked up a 1884 Trapdoor at the last gun show. Shot the bejeebers out of it to 500 yards last week, with excellent accuracy.

However, that tiny peep sight was a real challenge for old eyes. I drilled it out to a #41 drill bit size yesterday, and the sight picture is definitely greatly improved. Probably didn't need to go that large, but it worked for me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Hi. I agree that front sight and little peep hole is definitely made for a younger man's eyes. Do tell, what load were you using? I got Spence Wolf's book and have been using his recommendations for my TDs (I have two '84s,) with some success. Just curious what others are using. A picture of your rifle would be nice too! Thanks. Ed

Boolit Master
    Not only younger eyes, but outdoor eyes not ruined by TV, computers, small fenced backyards and all that reading we did in school. I like bigger apertures too, now if I could just see the target and front sight at the same time! ? !

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Edited, I put down a kicker that had been recommended to me. The 4064 does shoot dirty, but groups under 1.5". The other kicker was at 4"+.

46 gr. WC 872, 5.5 gr. 4064. 405 gr. Gov. bullet.
    Last edited by waksupi; 04-22-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Buffington sights ... one of the best inventions that Springfield made for the trapdoors
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Edited, I put down a kicker that had been recommended to me. The 4064 does shoot dirty, but groups under 1.5". The other kicker was at 4"+.

46 gr. WC 872, 5.5 gr. 4064. 405 gr. Gov. bullet.
    Hi. That's really interesting, especially with that slow powder. Have you tried with "traditional" BP loadings to compare? Also, your 405gr Govt bullet, is that the Lee HB, or one of the other PB versions, sized to and lubed with? Sorry for the questions, but I'm getting pretty good results with 2fg Olde Eynsford and 405gr bullets as well (both the Lee that I cast and a Winchester mould version of the bullets I bought from Dan at Bull Shop, cast of 20:1 alloy.) Ed
    Attachment 240281

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. That's really interesting, especially with that slow powder. Have you tried with "traditional" BP loadings to compare? Also, your 405gr Govt bullet, is that the Lee HB, or one of the other PB versions, sized to and lubed with? Sorry for the questions, but I'm getting pretty good results with 2fg Olde Eynsford and 405gr bullets as well (both the Lee that I cast and a Winchester mould version of the bullets I bought from Dan at Bull Shop, cast of 20:1 alloy.) Ed
    Attachment 240281

I've not used BP in this rifle. I don't compete formally anymore, and all of our shooting is just for fun. Besides, I have LOTS of WC872! The bullet is the Lee hollow base, powder coated, unsized wheel weights.

Boolit Master
    I agree with you about the Buffington sight. That tiny hole is too small for my old eyes. What I hate just as much is the heavy trigger pull. I have not checked mine for put weight it feels like twenty pounds. I loaded 18 grains of 4759 and it may have shot very well but between the sights and the trigger pull I was lucky to hit the target at all. I first loaded it with a case full of Swiss 1 1/2 and had no trouble hitting the steel plate at two hundred yards off hand. I will admit, it is rather large plate. I will attach pictures of the rifle but only a little of the sight is in the picture.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 05-13-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    I also drilled out the peep hole in one of mine, I don't remember the size without measuring it. I made a new front sight blade .093" wide so I could see it better and worked the trigger pull down under 5 lbs. It shoots well. I won Woody's trapdoor challenge in GA with it in the fall of 2017 by 29 points. I shot a 90 on the 600 yard target, just one shot under the nat'l record and my last shot was a 7. I shot 60 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss black powder with a 535 grain bullet. Yes, trapdoors can shoot well and be a lot of fun.

Have read that hollow base cast are the way to go in TD. They are a ball to shoot.

The trigger pull on this one is right around 4.5#. My business rifle is closer to 5#.

I kind of wonder if the government intended for the end user to drill the sight to suit them? I know it sounds like too far thinking for a government agency, but who knows?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've not used BP in this rifle. I don't compete formally anymore, and all of our shooting is just for fun. Besides, I have LOTS of WC872! The bullet is the Lee hollow base, powder coated, unsized wheel weights.
    Another good load with WC872 is 4grs RL-7 and 54grs of WC872 with a 466gr mini-groove bullet. This is a mini-groove that has been shortened 1 band.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll second the vote to use the data and procedures in Spence Wolf's book. Loading is a bit fiddly, but the results are worth it. Not match grade accuracy, but as good as the military intended for them to shoot with production ammunition.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Master
    does any one use the v rear battle sight at the rear of the rear sight?

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer the M1879 rear sight as I use the Lee 405 HB loaded to 45-70 and 45-55 gov't level in my H&R OM and carbine. The load is zeroed 3 - 4" high at 100 yards with the rear set at 100 yards. the load is then regulated to the sight settings on the "R" and "C" M1879 rear sights. With the "R" sight on the OM with it's shorter sight radius than the M1873 rifle I have to use the "point 8 rule" to set the correct range on the sight for the range to target.

I consider the M1879 rear sight much more practical in my forays into "hostile" territory with "hostile" rocks attacking at various ranges......The M1879 sight is much quicker to use than the Buffington and, for my shooting, just as accurate......

Attachment 285802
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My 1883 cartouche has been fired very little, mostly by me!

Boolit Grand Master

That is a fine looking Trapdoor !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Buffington sights ... one of the best inventions that Springfield made for the trapdoors
    It worked so good it was carried on into the Krag's and first generation 1903's
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I prefer the M1879 rear sight as I use the Lee 405 HB loaded to 45-70 and 45-55 gov't level in my H&R OM and carbine. The load is zeroed 3 - 4" high at 100 yards with the rear set at 100 yards. the load is then regulated to the sight settings on the "R" and "C" M1879 rear sights. With the "R" sight on the OM with it's shorter sight radius than the M1873 rifle I have to use the "point 8 rule" to set the correct range on the sight for the range to target.

I consider the M1879 rear sight much more practical in my forays into "hostile" territory with "hostile" rocks attacking at various ranges......The M1879 sight is much quicker to use than the Buffington and, for my shooting, just as accurate......

Attachment 285802
    The M79 was most definitely an actual battle sight. I may have read that the sides of the buckhorn were set to calculate lead against a running horse at 100. British Martini sights had a similar thing going on with them. Possibly in Al Fresca's book. But CRS syndrome negates clear memory of that.

You can def tell that the indian wars were largely over (except in the SW with periodic Apache clashes, but nothing of scale) with the introduction of the Buffington. Very much a target sight.

You have to pity those poor NG guys sent to the Philippines with them, but then again it was all pretty much point blank in jungle down on Mindinao.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing... a 500 grain caliber .45 cast will go through alot of jungle and still put a permanent hurt on a target.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast