PBcastcoRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do my cleaning patches always come out dirty!?

Why do my cleaning patches always come out dirty!?

Well... that s my question. Im really trying to clean up my Winchester 1886. It doesnt have a new polished/chrome bore in it. It was made in 1889. Im using Hoppe's #9. I got tired of using the store bought cleaning patches because I rran through them too fast. I stayed for a really long time cleaning the barrel.

First wet passes are coming out with grey on the patch. Im guessing its lead, which is normal. I shoot cast.

Second passes with the dry patches come out looking good. First one has grime on it, then second one is white and clean.

When I restart the process, the patches come out *** dirty as the first time I passed the patches in... '

It isnt the first rifle I cleaned. Usually il pass a few patches in, and then pass the dry ones with successful results.

There's lots of old dirt in the bore from many years of used before you acquired it. To get it really clean you'll need to use a bore cleaner that is more aggressive than Hoppe's, and a bore brush. Persistence will pay off in the end.

It just takes awhile with a less aggressive cleaner.

I had a M1 Garand that I only used Hoppe's # 9 to clean the bore when I first got it.
    I'd run a couple of wet patches through it every few days.
    I had used over 70 before they quit turning green.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Another thing to try... double up on the patches and then go wet with cleaner. This will make the bore fit tighter, you may need a hand holding on to the old girl because it will take some work getting them thru. But, in the end once all the lead is pushed out and the crud under it is pushed out you will like it. I also like to take a bronze brush and wrap it with a wet patch, seems to work better. With the double patches, start with one and get a little wear on it and then add the second. I doubt you would get 2 new ones in at first. I use flannel from shirts, makes great patches.

Can you see the lead build up? Do you see the lands and grooves? It could be that you have bore wear due to age and need to slug the barrel to get a good fit.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good luck using the foaming bore cleaners on old milsurps that were really fouled layer after layer. Carbon then jacket fouling and so on. The foaming action seemed to get the crud loosened easier than anything I have ever tried.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I also use a stronger cleaner, as well as chucking up a bore brush in my drill.. it really makes a difference on the older guns..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

You could also try JB Bore Paste...works wonders.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

I'm a big fan of Bore Tech. It removes copper and general fouling there's no tomorrow.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Grand Master

What are your jags and brushes made of? Using a copper remover and brass brushes jags the solvent not only attacks the fouling but the brushes and jags giving the dirty patches impression. On an older bore it may be build ups from over the years. JB bore cleaner is an mechanical cleaner and will remove some but requires a lot energy. A chemical cleaner can be allowed to soak and "work" after applying it. You might try a mix of shooters choice kroil 50-50 for a few passes. Apply a wet coat and let soak for 10-15 mins then wet brush and patch. If possible a look in with a bore scope may be revealing.

Boolit Master

I was going to suggest a mix of 50/50 Kroil and Pro Shot, like Country Gent said... get it wet and let it sit.

Boolit Master
    Gauze patches work wonders. They're just a bit more difficult to shove down the bore.

I also start with a foaming bore cleaner. After I get that out I'll use some #9 and then I'll use a few patches with Kroil squirted on them.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Ive had her for a few years but I never got er really clean! I want to though. Theres pits and all, but its my favorite rifle and my first I ever bought myself. What would be a bore cleaner I could buy that would be strong enough?

Il chuck a bore brush in the drill as mentioned above. I do that for shotguns.

I use a copper brush from a Winchester cleaning kit I got a while back. It works good. I think its copper, not brass.

Im tired of always brushing like a mad man with no good results!

Kev, what caliber is this beloved 1886? Do you have a thread on it? Sounds pretty cool.

If ya let hoppes soak it will eventually dissolve the lead. What I've done on several occasions; Two to three times a day, soak a patch in hoppes and fully wet the bore and once scrub it a few strokes with a brush. Do that 3 days or so and it should be real close if not to where you want it.

Boolit Master
    I have some barrels that are in the same condition as yours.
    Hoppe's doesn't do much for it.
    So I mixed up a gallon of Ed's Red and will give that a go.

Boolit Master

I am not sure I would ever chuck up a brush and spin it. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have some old rifles with the same problem. I can clean till blue in the face but patches never come out clean. What type of bore cleaner do yall recomend.

Boolit Master

I had some old surplus bolt rifles that I submerged the muzzle in a bowl of some concoction of different solvents and pumped the patch up and down and then brushed for a while and then pumped some more to rinse and repeated several times.. the fluid got really dirty and the bores got pretty clean. This might work with a lever gun with some disassembly required????
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    In My opinion,
    Spinning a bore brush or even a mop or patch would not be good.
    You only end up polishing the tops of the lands and possibly rounding off the edges.
    A bore brush is made to follow the grooves when going in and out of the grooves.
    Plus if you end up with the brush binding up, you can twist off the stem that threads into the cleaning rod.
    Then you have a brush stuck in your bore.
    Now spinning a correct sized brush in the Chamber will work if you are careful.
    That is a good way to get the cooked on cosmoline out of the chambers of Mosin Nagants.
    Other members on the forum are singing the praises of Ed's Red, so I thought I would give it a try.
    One part Each,
    Kerosene, Transmission Fluid, Mineral spirits, and Acetone.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I am not sure I would ever chuck up a brush and spin it. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    Amen.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Regular Hoppe's 9 and Ed's Red don't do much but dissolve powder fouling and bullet lube. There is a product, Hoppe's #9 BENCHREST that works much better, as does Butch's Bore Shine or the foaming cleaners for getting tougher fouling. Wipe-out foaming cleaner works well, Wipe-out makes a Lead Remover that is supposed to work well. J-B bore cleaner with Kroil works on the toughest fouling. A worn-out or slightly small brush, wrapped with a patch(s) with J-B/Kroil usually gets the even the worst crud out. I have a P14 Enfield 303 that has yet to be truly clean and the barrel really doesn't look too bad though I haven't bothered with the borescope. Sometimes a rifle shoots far better than the borescope says it should.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast