Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow stocks on newer rifles.

Hollow stocks on newer rifles.

Anyone ever notice how the new, fiberglass/plastic stocks on newer rifles just don't seem to balance right? Particularly after growing up with wood stocks?
    I noticed and it bothered me. Note the past tense, it was deliberate.
    I decided to do something about that and it is a very cheap fix.
    I know having the lighter glass/plastic stocks make the rifle easier to carry on a hunt. I also know those stocks are supposed to decrease felt recoil. Not really certain if that last is true.
    Anyway, I took the butt pad off my Savage 110 30-06 and took a look. THE ENTIRE REAR STOCK IS HOLLOW. They put a piece of styrofoam in there to decrease noise. That last is just a guess since I don't really have a reason for why they did that.
    I remembered from my trap shooting days, that adding weight to the butt stock moved the balance to the rear and reduced recoil. SO. I went to my local Wal Mart and bought a bag of aquarium gravel. The small sized particles. Bigger than sand and smaller than rocks. I poured most of the bag into the cavity in the stock and filled it completely full. I shook it a bit to settle the gravel and poured a bit more in. I then reinstalled the butt pad.
    When I picked up the rifle, the first thing I noticed was the rifle balanced like the wood stock rifles I was used to. When I took it to the range, I found the recoil was greatly reduced. The rifle basically quit trying to jump and roll during recoil. Accuracy was the same or slightly better with the extra weight.
    Win win situation here.
    When I got home I took the butt pad off to see if the gravel had settled any. It had slightly so I put a small, folded paper towel in there to take up a little space and keep the gravel from rattling. Worked like a charm.
    Now, every rifle I have that is stocked with the new black synthetic stock has gravel inside the butt stock.
    I love how it makes the rifle balance and point so much easier. The reduced recoil is a side benefit. The change in weight is less than a full pound. Probably around 12 ounces.
    Accuracy has not been changed on any of my rifles due to the extra weight.
    What are your thoughts on this?

I prefer solid wood stocks also if o had a newer style I would probably carve a wooden stock for it
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    It worked for you and your happy with result. it don't matter what anyone else thinks. The stock on my 458 Wm is wood but that did not stop me drilling 3x 3/8'' holes under recoil pad to hold 24x 148gr wadcutters epoxied firmly into place and 7 more in barrel channel to tame recoil and even out balance. I happen to think your idea was clever. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

I bought a Savage 30-06 that kicked like a mule. These don't fit a ready made recoil pad that I've found. Took two pounds of lead and some Great Stuff foaming spray and filled up the stock. Works great no rattle and like you said great balance. Recoil is greatly reduced and the rifle is a joy to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Something I learned as a kid. The heavier it is the less it recoils.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    But if you have a boating incident that Styrofoam will make that firearm float stock up. Even if it does only raise the rear stock up off the "bottom" it sure is easier to locate in less than 12 feet of reasonably clear liquid.
    The "great stuff" foam with lead I like. That stuff does float.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

The new hollow plastic stocks bother me too. Make a chuck-clunk noise when working the bolt. With my head so close it sounds like it's reverberating and could be heard a mile away, though I concede it probably can't be heard over the bolt noise more than a few feet away.
    Good fix!
    BDGR

Boolit Master

Hey Taz, have been doing this with lead shot or other material to determine weight for years with bench stocks. You will want to add some adhesive to the gravel or it will eat thru the stock at some point, think big sand paper without the sand. I generally decide on the amount that I want to use and then mix it with some of the clear bondo epoxy and pour it all back in. You will need to work quickly, 10-12 minutes and do not mix it strong or you may generate to much heat.

Boolit Master
    Lead shot and spray foam insulation is a good combination also.

Boolit Master

I really love your suggestion Tazman. Better than expanding foam since you can easily remove it if needed.
    Good idea!
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 05-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    My Siamese Mauser .45-70 has a new heavy profile barrel, but the original stock was modified much as they used to do with Springfields and Krags, and wears a Williams aperture sight. There's about 3/4 lb of lead poured in the forend and also in the buttstock bringing the total weight to 10.2 lbs. It balances well and helps with recoil on heavier than factory loads. GF

Boolit Master
    A piece of foam stuffed around a Lee lead ingot, worked wonders. I considered doing something else but for what this rifle is used for that will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I really love Ken your suggestion Tazman. Better than expanding foam since you can easily remove it if needed.
    Good idea!
    The possible need to remove it was one of the reasons I went the way I did.

Boolit Buddy

While ive used expanding foam to fill them, the hollow plastic stocks are really easy to make a
    "patch box" style box for storage in. Did so on a marlin papoose, and it improved the balance, and let me store a few hundred rounds in the stock. Makes more sense to me to store ammo, and use that weight to improve the feel than to just add dead weight. Thou if one USES said ammo, it changes things a bit. With ammo, a cleaning brush, small bottle of lube, and maybe an extractor you can keep that rifle working with what is on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive mixed lead shot in silicone sealant to use to add weight. Epoxy can be used and works well if you want it removable then use several coats of release agent in stock before packing in place. Another good weight source if you have the supply is used carbide inserts from production lines. On ARs we lined the opening in the stock with saran wrap and packed full of silicone shot mix let cure. was removeable and a perfect fit.

Boolit Master

ive used low expansion foam in them. if a guy thought he might want to remove it, line the hole with a large ziploc bag, then foam.

Boolit Master

I have “foamed” a couple. Its sometimes challanging deciding where to stop as many expand past where you want them to.

But the results are appealing and it deadens most all of that hollow “cheap” sound. All with out adding weight.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have not tried it but it seems a coating of truck bed liner inside those stocks might dampen sound a good bit . I have a couple of candidates so I may get off my duff and see if there would be a way to apply it without making a mess out of it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would think maybe a little wax might work to keep it from rattling . A little hot water could remove it if needed.

Boolit Buddy

I have found that a mercury recoil reducer (Brownells) works well. I just roughed up the inside of the stock and epoxyed it in place. Adds some weight and takes away some of the kick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast