RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Primer 45 ACP

Boolit Buddy

I have bought about 10-15K SP 45 brass from Devildog and I haven't had any issues with them I tried load comparison from LP loads that I had and didn't see a difference. And now I don't have to change from large to small primers when I switch my progressive presses from 9mm to 45...its the little things I guess.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Quote Originally Posted by Loudy13 View Post
    I have bought about 10-15K SP 45 brass from Devildog and I haven't had any issues with them I tried load comparison from LP loads that I had and didn't see a difference. And now I don't have to change from large to small primers when I switch my progressive presses from 9mm to 45...its the little things I guess.
    That would be a big convenience.

Boolit Master

I sort them in there own bin and load them. Put them in their own carton and then it makes it easy for next loading session.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The local gunshop requires lead-free ammo to be used in the indoor range, and the lead-free primers are made only in the small size. I get the small primer pocket .45 ACP, once-fired CCI Blazer, Speer Lawman, or Win-Clean range brass for free by sorting it out of the barrel.

I sold all of my large primer pocket .45 ACP brass and now use only the small primer pocket stuff so that I only need to stock one size of pistol primer. Works for me.

Magnum small pistol primer such as Federal 200 gives same velocity as standard large pistol primer such as Federal 150 when loading H&G#68 with 4.2 grains of Bullseye or 4.5 of 452AA. With standard small pistol primers increase charge 0.2-0.3 grain to attain the same velocity as a large primer, if it really matters to you.

Cannot tell difference on target at 50-yards, 10-shot groups 2-1/2" or better off Ransom Rest. 3 inches if you bump charge to 5 grains of Bullseye or 5.4 of 452AA or WST to move the "Peter Meter" for IPSC Major.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Thanks Outpost.

I load far more cartridges that use SP than LP and it would be nice to simplify my supplies but I don't think I'll ever be able to completely eliminate large pistol primers from my inventory. If I didn't already have so many LP 45 ACP casings on hand it would be convenient to switch to SP casings but it just isn't practical at this point.

On top of that, I occasionally have a source for free clean once fired LP 45 ACP casings. So for the foreseeable future, the small primer casings are just an annoyance for me.

Boolit Master
    Load both, just keep them separate. Usually load LP but keep some SP primers on hand, did this during the big primer shortage a few years ago so could use what I could find.

Boolit Grand Master

Save them for future buying panic....as soon as the power shifts in an election the primers will evaporate if all you got is small pistol primers...you can use them and keep shooting.
    Join the Old Pack Rat Hoarders Association (OPRHA ) and keep everything you get your hands on for the next shortage .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The local gunshop requires lead-free ammo to be used in the indoor range, and the lead-free primers are made only in the small size. I get the small primer pocket .45 ACP, once-fired CCI Blazer, Speer Lawman, or Win-Clean range brass for free by sorting it out of the barrel.

I sold all of my large primer pocket .45 ACP brass and now use only the small primer pocket stuff so that I only need to stock one size of pistol primer. Works for me.

Magnum small pistol primer such as Federal 200 gives same velocity as standard large pistol primer such as Federal 150 when loading H&G#68 with 4.2 grains of Bullseye or 4.5 of 452AA. With standard small pistol primers increase charge 0.2-0.3 grain to attain the same velocity as a large primer, if it really matters to you.

Cannot tell difference on target at 50-yards, 10-shot groups 2-1/2" or better off Ransom Rest. 3 inches if you bump charge to 5 grains of Bullseye or 5.4 of 452AA or WST to move the "Peter Meter" for IPSC Major.
    This might be the first time I’ve heard anyone casually toss out that they are still loading 452AA. Have about 10lbs of it to go through.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Some target shooters claim better accuracy when using the sp cases. I have no experience with them myself.
    I acquired a decent quantity of the SP brass for free so I thought I would use them to practice or shoot in matches where you lose brass in the grass. However when testing accuracy at 50 yards, the SP were edging out the LP in accuracy. Now our top match stuff is loaded with SP and we use the LP brass for practice. These were light target loads so I have no data on max or +P loads with them. Anyone wants to dispose of SP brass, we will gladly take it and save you garbage space!

Boolit Master

Mine go straight into the scrap bucket. Don't like them. Don't want them. Won't keep them. Don't find enough of them to waste my time with them.

I first started accumulating them in anticipation of a primer shortage if the communists regained power. I load them occasionally, but keep them segregated from the LPP brass. After loading a box, I use a straightedge to mark across the back of the cases to make it easier to segregate them. I mainly use them in revolver loads, but I notice no difference in function or accuracy in any application.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Well, Petrol, I really love those small primered .45 ACP cases....I can carry my .45's in the woods and fields and leave the brass where it falls! And here's the best part...I do it GUILT FREE!!!! Other than that, that **** is a royal PITA!. YMMv, Rod

Boolit Master
    I’m thinking that it might be nice to run 45acp on the 650 without changing the primer system.

Boolit Master
    Have a good mix of both,you should be able to sort by head stamp. 99% of the sp brass is Federal,CCI/Blaser and Win N/T that I pick up at the range.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    This might be the first time I’ve heard anyone casually toss out that they are still loading 452AA. Have about 10lbs of it to go through.
    I bought 20 pounds of it for $100 recently at an estate sale. Currently feeding the Star machine in .45 ACP with it. It will load all of my .45 ACP for the foreseeable future. Nobody wanted to take a chance on "old" powder which was last made in 1991. I've been loading it in .45 ACP with wonderful results.

I've started trying it in .38 Special and .45 Colt for cowboy loads. Good there too.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12