Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Primer 45 ACP

Banned

Small Primer 45 ACP

What to do with SP 45ACP.

45 ACP casings used large pistol primers from about 1905 until some idiot decided it would be cool to change to small pistol primers.

I have a supply of 45 ACP casings and the vast majority of them are large primer casings, however I am steadily acquiring small primer casings as I cull them from my LP casings. The question is: "What to do with them"?

My first thought is wait until I gather enough of them to load a decent size batch and just consider them to be disposable casings that I don't bother to pick up.

I assume that at some point in time the small primer casings will become the norm but I'm not sure how long that will take. In the meantime, the small primer casings are an annoyance.
    Occasionally I'll miss one and it will turn up in the press where it brings the loading operation to a sudden halt. That's a bit of a pain to pull it out, put it with the other SP casings and replace it before resuming the loading operation. It also requires checking the casing under the powder measure to see if it was charged with powder so that I don't double charge a casing when I resume loading. That process is generally accompanied by cursing the person that thought it would be cool to change something that's been working fine since about 1905.

Boolit Master
    Here is an idea....

Sell them to those who want them.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

The small primers are needed for some special applications of the .45acp. From what I see the vast majority of new .45acp is still large primer. I segregated mine and gave them to a begining competitive shooter.

Some target shooters claim better accuracy when using the sp cases. I have no experience with them myself.

Save them until some point where you are low or out of LP primers.

Or sell them as JB in Mn said.

I am slowly accumulating a zip lock bag of them myself.

I finally got mad enough to sort them all out from the large primer type and put them on a PIF. Devil's work is what they are!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Retailers in my area probably stock 10-20% of total primer stock with large pistol so always have ready supply of small pistol primers, 4 years ago I bought 450 small pistol primer 45 ACP cases for simple reason my 357 revolvers no longer liked the CCI hard primers and switched to federal for them, so have been steadily beating the brass to death trying to get through the 20k + pile of CCI I had, more than likely the brass will give out or be lost before the primers run out so as JB said put them aside and sell or swap them for LPP cases

Cheers

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I finally got mad enough to sort them all out from the large primer type and put them on a PIF. Devil's work is what they are!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    This, I didn't realize they were a thing until I had 1 in my Dillon 1050. Cram a large primer into a small hole and BOOM. It lit off the entire primer magazine. Took it and dropped it off at Dillon and poof they fixed it.

I then spent hours sorting 3 5 gallon buckets of brass. Then I promptly gave away the SP brass.

I can see where they would pose a problem for high volume loaders using automated presses, but shouldn't be much of an issue for those using single stage presses. I loaded several boxes this past winter, and find no difference in their performance from the large primer cases. Once you get them separated just keep them that way and load them as a separate batch. I certainly wouldn't consider them expendable.

Boolit Master

I cull them out of my range sweeps and then reform them to .400 Corbon so that they'll never be used for 45ACP cases again and my higher pressure 400 CorBon loads have a cartridge case with just a touch more brass in the head.

So if you want to use them for experimental heavy bullet loads in your 45ACPs or send them out for sale to others or a PIF to a new shooter, they can serve a purpose.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I load them again .

Banned
    For right now I'm just segregating them as I find them. I probably have about 75. I think when I have a decent amount I'll trade them for something.

Boolit Master
    Inspecting and segregating SP 45 ACP brass has become yet another ritual for me after range trips. I'm satisfied that they'll perform just fine if needed so I store them for when the day comes again when there are no LP primers to buy.

Boolit Master
    Every step is an inspection point.
    While I no longer have a .45 anything, I did use those with the sp primers for woods walking.
    And remember, you can use a sr primer in them without any problems.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Every step is an inspection point.
    While I no longer have a .45 anything, I did use those with the sp primers for woods walking.
    And remember, you can use a sr primer in them without any problems.
    Excellent point about SR primers, they do work without any problems.

Boolit Buddy
    Heck I’ll take them!! I’ll even pay shipping I also make them into 400 Corbin ammo

Boolit Master

SPP 45 ACP cases have more strength at case head thus extending longevity with no sacrifice to accuracy or having unburnt powder. I was leery about that too and alas after selling a couple hundred new ones on here I discovered this notion from some other forums. Oh well.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I just pitch them into an old coffee can until the can is full and then I process them and keep them separate from the lpp brass. When I shoot 45's I make sure that I don't mix them again.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I mark them for +P revolver loads.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

I load them for my 45acp stub jobbie. A quick look at the primer confirms that it is a rifle cartridge, though I load all rounds intended for the rifle to an oal that will not function in pistols so there are no expensive oopses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast