Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W and 32HR mag pressure

Boolit Buddy

32 S&W and 32HR mag pressure

What are the max pressures for 32 S&W and 32HR mag?
    My loading manuals don't giv that info. other cartridges are given but not those.
    I am using Unique powder and H&r revolvers for these. I also have the Ruger single 7 so I know they are safe loads there.
    BD

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    The 32 hr is 21,000 psi the the 32 sw long is 15,000 . I may be off but i believe that the 32 sw is 12,000 psi. Hope this helps. If you look at alliant data they list data for unique that is above most if not all manuals.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks that is what I was looking for.
    BD

Boolit Grand Master

SAAMI MAP for the 32 S&W is 17,000 psi. The lower psi for the 32 S&WL is lower in deference to the blowback Walther GSP target pistol. The 32 H&R is held low in deference to the H&R revolver. The Ruger revolvers are much stronger. Tested loads are listed in an earlier thread.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I realize ruger makes a strong gun but i will not over load any cartridge . If you can't o what you need with a cartridge then go up in power not over load it.

Boolit Buddy
    I am looking for max accuracy, but wanted some guidelines as to pressure levels. Picked up a nice 32 S&WL solid frame H&R revolver and want to keep it nice but would like to get some accuracy from it so my wife can shoot it. She dosen't like the 38's she tried, maybe she'l like a 32.
    BD

Boolit Grand Master

I don't make it a practice to "over load" any cartridge either. I do make it a practice to load some cartridges to their potential in the fire arm they are to be used in. That is common practice in reloading. It is done with many cartridges.

Here is the SAAMI standard for the 32 H&R along with the standards for other 32 cal handgun cartridges. I'm not exactly sure where "21,000" psi came about as the "standard" for the 32 H&R but it is not a SAAMI standard. Perhaps it is the "standard" for the soft framed old H&R revolvers? As you can see there is no SAAMI "established" MAP for the 32 H&R because it has not been evaluated (NE). So what then establishes an "over load" for the 32 H&R? I developed my loads by actually measuring the psi to determine what is safe for the revolver I use them in.

Anyway, with my magnum level loads for my Ruger 32 H&R revolver I load the 32 H&R to it's potential for that revolver. As I've mentioned before I do not shoot a lot of these loads as I really don't need to most of the time.....same as I no longer shoot full magnum level loads in my 357, 41 and 44 magnums most of the time........

(N/E = Not Established) Velocity Transducer Pressure (fps)
    (Solid test barrel, psi/100)(1)

Nominal Nominal Maximum
    Mean Mean Maximum Maximum Probable
    Bullet Instrumental Instrumental Average Probable Sample
    Weight @ 15’ @ 15’ Pressure Lot Mean Mean
    Cartridge (gr.) Vented Bbl.(2) Test Bbl. (MAP) (MPLM) (MPSM)

32 H&R Magnum 85 N/E 1,120 N/E N/E N/E
    95 N/E 1,020

32 North American
    Arms 60 N/E 1,220 239 247 258
    32 Short Colt 80 N/E 750 175 181 189
    32 S&W 85-88 N/E 700 170 175 183
    32 S&WL 98 N/E 775 150 155 162
    327 Fed Magnum 115 N/E 1,535 450 464 485

Also as I said before I am not recommending that anyone use the loads I developed. I only answer the question and give actual data that is tested for the firearms in question for possible use. Everyone is free to their own choices as to use the data or not.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-24-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again. Time to get reloading and experimenting, now that I have some more guidelines.
    BD

Hey i just love my 32's have a shelf full of the old 32 top break 32sw's had to make larger grip on a couple for wife she loves them in single action she has weak hands so doesn't like the double action trigger pull on the old guns. Have several sw longs that i really like to. Be careful once you catch the 32 bug it's hard to get rid of. Are you shooting the sw or the sw long?

Boolit Buddy
    Caught the bug. couple of 32-20's. a new marlin, a police positive, 327 ruger single seven, 32 HR in 32hr mag, a couple of 32 S&W Longs; that's all so far.
    BD

Boolit Buddy
    OH! forgot a coupel of 32 ACP'sand a couple of those Russian, what are they 765X38 or somthing like that. Does that mean I got the bug?
    BD

Yea i am pretty sure you got it. My wife actually asked if they stoped making the other calibers. I watch the auctions and buy the ones that need repair. I really enjoy fixing them i get quite a few that someone has taken apart and put it back together wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

I recently inquired at several LGSs regarding any 32 S&W or 32 Short colt cartridges they may have laying around. I ended up with several sample of 32 S&W of various makes of unknown vintage. The purpose for the acquisitions was to pressure test them. I pressure tested them a couple days ago and had interesting results. I also ended up with full box of Western 32 Short Colt which I’ve not tested yet.

The test firearm was a Contender With a 10” barrel chambered in 32 H&R Magnum and a strain gauge affixed over the chamber at the prescribed SAAMI location for pressure measurement. The gauge was connected to the Oehler m43 and its attendant software in a laptop. I was able to measure the pressure and muzzle velocity of the assorted 32 S&W cartridges.

As a reference:
    32 H&R Magnum
    Federal 32 H&R 85 gr LSWC factory ammunition ran 1217 fps (987 fps out of 6 ˝” Ruger SS) at 18,200 psi.
    A Lee TL 90 gr SWC over 3.2 gr Bullseye ran 1128 fps at 16,500 psi

32 S&WL;
    Federal factory WCs; 12,000 psi
    Lee TL 90 gr SWC over 2.8 gr Bullseye ran 1060 fps at 16,800 psi (880 fps out of my M30 S&W with 3” barrel)
    Lee TL 90 gr SWC over 3.2 gr Bullseye ran 1165 fps at 19,300 psi.
    98 gr cast SWC over 2.5 gr Bullseye ran 944 fps at 15,000 psi.
    98 gr cast SWC over 4 gr Unique ran 1101 at 19,000 psi

The results of the 32 S&W factory ammunition;

Winchester Western 86 gr Lubaloy LRN; 786 fps at 18,900 psi
    Winchester W-W; 727 fps at 15,300 psi
    Winchester [WRA]; 729 fps at 16,300 psi
    Remington [R-P]; 676 fps at 14,200 psi
    Federal [F C] 86 gr FMJRN; 833 fps at 17,900 fps
    Winchester [WRA] 86 gr FMJRN; 780 fps at 14,000 psi

The average pressures for the 32 S&W ran from a low of 14,000 psi to 18,900 psi. The 32 S&W is presumed to be a lower pressure cartridge than the 32 S&WL because it is the shorter cartridge. That presumption is probably based off similar cartridges such as the 38 SPL/357 Mag, the 44 SPL/44 Mag, etc. Thus that presumptions has always led to the belief that using the 32 S&W in the old H&R and Iver Johnson top break 32 S&WL chambered revolvers was “safer” because of the less psi of the 32 S&W cartridge…….we see from the actual psi of numerous 32 S&W factory loads that is not the case……..

I'm not saying 32 S&W ammunition is unsafe in 32 S&WL chamber top break revolvers just saying there's not a lot of difference, in pressure, between the two cartridges as is thought.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Very interesting data, thank you for investing the effort to generate and report. I wonder if the pressure would be even higher in an actual 32sw chamber than the 32hr? Seems the extra length may act as “freeborn”. Any thoughts along those lines, Mr. Gibson?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Considering the extra length of the 32 H&R chamber give an almost identical free bore as do cylinder throats I don't consider that much of a variation. The barrel/cylinder gap is probably more of a pressure reducer as such. However, given the fast burning powders the pressure peaks while the bullet is still in the cylinder.

Also note the psi of the factory 32 H&R in comparison.....The shorter cartridges probably generate slightly more psi in a test barrel chambered for them so you are essentially correct in the shorter cartridges would probably give higher psi's. Additionally my testing of shorter cartridges in other chambers such as in the 357, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt chambers indicates the pressures measured are general consistent with what is expected.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Thanks i never would have expected the sw to be that high. Especially since there are so many top break black powder guns out there. But your velocity readings seem to be right in line. Not sure why there would be any concern about shooting them top break swl ' s as most of guns made for the sw were top break.

Boolit Buddy
    hum, great job.

You know this really got me wondering. I misspoke earlier that is just a tad hot for the sw . I found pressure listings all over the map lee list it in the sub 10000 range speer list it at 12000 i have also found the pressure listed up to 17000 for the 32sw. It also seems that saami doesn't list pressure for the 32sw not sure if this is accurate but any data i can find doesn't show them listing this caliber. The loads listed i can find run from 590 to 700 fps. I was really curious bout this as i have 7 of these little guns and just love shooting them. I always keep my loads low because a couple were black powder guns and don't want to accidentally shoot anything strong in them.

Boolit Master

Another misconception bites the dust..... Thanks Mr. Gibson
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

SAAMI Lists the MAP for the 32 S&W at 17,000 psi (transducer).

However, a lot of the older 32 S&W ammo was loaded before that MAP was established. It's also why the load data for the 32 S&WL seemed to be "dumbed down" after Speer #8 & #9 manuals along with Lyman's #3 manual were published. It is because those loads were developed prior to SAAMI establishing the MAP at 15,000 psi in deference to the blow back European match pistols using WC loads. After SAAMI established that MAP the loads were dropped back to conform. Loads for use in solid frame S&W and Ruger revolvers are not restricted to those low end psi's.

However, if either loads for the 32 S&W or the S&WL are to be used in the older top break Iver Johnsons, the H&Rs or the S&Ws then I would restrict them to loads of around 15,000 psi such as the afore mentioned and tested load of; 98 gr cast SWC over 2.5 gr Bullseye ran 944 fps (10" Contender barrel) at 15,000 psi. .
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-06-2019 at 09:50 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast