Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Weighting stock question

Boolit Master

Weighting stock question

I have a light contour 300wm m70 that's a family gun so I didn't get to choose a heavy gun but I'm turning it into more a heavy target type situation. I started by replacing the light stock with a heavy varmint/target style stock and under the barrel is air ports and a channel cut down underneath, I fitted a small lead weight towards the rear in that channel and weight is 10 pounds now, I wouldn't mind goin heavier cause why not I'm not going to carry it around the woods, so question is can I also add weight to the front of that channel? I was worried physics wise from barrel rise during recoil if its bad to have mass up front in the stock flexing? But idk if that's a valid concern

Can't answer the stock flex but take a piece of pipe and fill it up with lead and drill a hole in the back of the stock and place the tube of lead first than a coil spring and place buttplate back on = poor man's recoil reducer

If the barrel is free floated, flexing shouldn't be an issue.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead can be added the full length of the channel of desired. Keep it under the wood line so it doesn't touch barrel. As stated above a hole can be drill in butt stock and lead added there also. The big thing isn't to just add weight but to keep the rifle balanced as well. Just adding weight up front may make it to muzzle heavy for best performance.
    It common to add weight to nra high power rifles. A heavy barreled M1A balanced out with the rear weights will go in the 14-15lb range. Same with the ARs with heavy barrel floar tube and stock weights. Long range guns may be up in the 20lb range. A 300 win mag in the 13-14 lb range will be much easier on the shoulder. Make sure the grain in the wrist of the stock is right as adding weight may put more stress on it.

When you add lead to a stock(especially wood) be sure to paint or varnish the lead to prevent oxidation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    ok thanks, sort of leads to my second question, is that its a boyds stock and I ordered with the standard butt pad, I can see holes where screws were squished through the rubber, but I don't see any seam where the butt pad ends. it looks like rubber than the varnish type coating and a black line start togather than transfers to the laminated wood under the varnish. so I don't know if I can take it off without damage or needing refinished or something.

does anyone have a boyds stock and taken the pad off before? I could also just drill in from the bottom or something and epoxy a lead cylinder up in, cover with wood putty. right now it balances 5.5 inches ahead of the trigger. its only used for sandbag under both ends or sometimes front rest only in a fixed seated hunting position. so any info on the buttpad or balance recommendations would be great. the front location is 10 inches in front the current balance, and the rear location is 18 inches behind, so a bit in both might make balance point 5in or so but idk what I should want it to be

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post

ok thanks, sort of leads to my second question, is that its a boyds stock and I ordered with the standard butt pad, I can see holes where screws were squished through the rubber, but I don't see any seam where the butt pad ends.

it looks like rubber than the varnish type coating and a black line start togather than transfers to the laminated wood under the varnish. so I don't know if I can take it off without damage or needing refinished or something.

It sounds to me that the pad is just perfectly fitted.

I would first determine if the attaching screws have slot or Phillips head, remove the screws and gently grasp the pad & twist it to see if it will come off readily.

Please let us know how you make out.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Ask Boyds if the pad is glued on or what.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    If any of you have fired a jungle carbine in 303 then you know the recoil is "brisk". had a bag of assorted shot and stuffed a freezer inside where the stock bolt is located. Filled the bag with shot shook it up and down to get the shot to settle. Repeated it a few more times and added more shot. Then taped the bag shut. The slot in the forend got stick on wheel weights immersed in epoxy. Took it out a couple weeks later after the epoxy set up and it made a big difference. Much heavier and less recoil. Frank