RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Barrel vice

Boolit Buddy

Barrel vice

Okes do you have quick suggestions in barrel vises and action wrenches that I need to get, for now I need something to take the barrels of Remington 700 and Howa 1500’s that the barrel is to short to go to go through the headstock of my lathe that needs to be threaded on the muzzle.

How is this?
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod41623.aspx
    Last edited by Fisher; 04-21-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Boolit Master
    That certainly would work. I made one very similar out of bar stock. Make sure you have a solid mounting for it.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    The one from Brownell's is the one I bought 20 years ago.
    It is still going strong, and works very well with the proper Bushing to fit the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot make their own barrel vises and bushings. I made mine in a short time and its way heavier than needed.
    Materials list
    2 X 2 1/2 X 16" cold rolled steel
    3/4" threaded rod 20"
    2 3/4 10 nuts
    2 3/4 10 x vise and bench thickness washers and nuts.

Tools
    Drill press
    3/4" clearance drill
    tap drill for 3/4 10
    chamfer tool

Cut list
    2 X2 1/2 X 8 t pc
    2 x 2 1/2 x 10 1 pc

3/4"10 threaded rod 10" 2 pcs

There are 4 holes in the 10" piece inside 2 are 3./4 10 tapped and line up with the top or 8" piece outside 2 holes are 3/4 clearance to bolt to bench
    2 holes in the 8" piece are 3/4" clearance.
    Last is to make the aluminum inserts for it that clamp.

Made mine similar to how country gent did his. Made two from two 1.5"x3"x4" drops cheaper off of ebay delivered than I could get them locally. Bored a hole in the middle for 1.25" bushing, drilled and tapped the stepped holes for fine threads, cut the steel blocks in two with the bandsaw and took a skim pass to clean it up, bored out and split the aluminum bushings to make them "C" shaped. With the steel, bolts and aluminum I'm in it less than $50 for two. I hold mine in a 6" bench vise as my bench is cluttered enough as it is, otherwise I'd get the steel bar like country gent did to make the bottom half longer so it can be bolted to the bench.

May not apply to everyone but....

I just use our H frame hydraulic press. Have made bushing blocks out of wood,aluminum and steel.... the wood(oak or maple) have been used nekid and with inserts bored on lathe to barrel profile,then slit in half and epoxied to the wood blocks. That's the beauty of the H frame press,you aren't bound to any size of barrel blocks. Pretty much run anything.

I just make action wrenches as needed.... will say on the wrenches,overall mass weight is a good thing. Won't get into the physics behind it as it doesn't accomplish a whole lot but.... once the barrel,"ain't goin nowhere"... having a heavy action wrench really makes the process a pleasure. "Store bought" wrench makers are bound by economic reasons to supply minimal materials. Which is certainly understandable,making it yourself?.... add weight/material. I can loosen most barrels with a very light "bump" to the wrench handle. Good luck with your project.