WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingPBcastco
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scrap reclaimed copper from range scrap

Boolit Master

scrap reclaimed copper from range scrap

i have been smelting indoor range scrap for a bit and have 5 buckets of copper jacket scrap. my local recyclers do not want it. what are others doing with it?

Boolit Master
    I have 4x 5 gallon buckets of it just waiting for some way to turn it into cash, perhaps putting it in a bonfire and melting it into a big blob will make it more wanted. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

I have gotten dirty copper price (#2) for mine in the past, but I go through and remove the rocks and bullets that didn't rupture/open. Also made sure that the jackets had all the lead melted out of them. Kind of a pain, but I sell about 3 gallons at a time, so not a huge deal. If I didnt go to the trouble, probably couldnt sell any of it.

Boolit Master

I have been working on a smelter to turn it into ingots it but haven't got very far with it yet, my theory is if it looks like a big chunk of copper they will take it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard this before but I don't understand it since copper is the highest priced non-ferrous material I would think they'd take it for dirty or maybe offer brass prices. Scrap metal prices are taking a dive at the end of the month here, so maybe it's more wide spread than I can see. But even at cut prices, they should be able to make something off it. Keep looking, there is a scrap buyer some where that will take it.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

I don't melt much range scrap but I do save junk and damaged cartridge brass. I have to call around to find a yard that will buy it. Not all of them will and those that will don't always take it. Its a pain!

Boolit Master
    Smelting copper jackets that have lead on them into ingots will release gaseous lead and zinc into the air. Yes copper cladding for bullet jackets is alloyed with a small % of zinc.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    I'm guessing The recycler doesn't like the dirty jackets, I've got a bucket I'm figuring an easy way to clean and get "bright and shiny", they should take them then.

Boolit Master
    Most scrapyards in my area wouldn't take it. One did and paid me copper price and then changed to red brass price. It took a while to figure how to get the lead gone.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure that the insurance companies make scrap yards leery of brass from bullets. I remember sorting range brass as a Marine to ensure there wasn't a live round. I remember a range officer getting relieved over scrapping live ammo.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

To remove all the lead off the jackets you need to flux with a oil I used old engine oil and light it on fire the bonus heat will free the jackets of any lead and watch out for the squirts of lead coming out of the bullets that have not let the lead out.
    The scrape yard here call it red brass not copper as far as melting the jackets down into a ingot that gets tricky I used a forced air oil fired setup I made to melt alum with to melt some brass my pot was a AC tank it failed to much heat. I am working on a LP powdered system now the oil was just to messy and hard to control the heat level. But I think the cost and time of melting down the jackets to sell for scrape would not be worth it odds are it would even cost you money in the end.
    I would get them clean while you are fluxing and remove any trash like rocks and steel and stash them in a 55 drum when that is full it may be worth a drive to a place that will buy them. When I was mining berms the jackets I sold for scrap added more then a few new toys to the safe .
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I don't melt much range scrap but I do save junk and damaged cartridge brass. I have to call around to find a yard that will buy it. Not all of them will and those that will don't always take it. Its a pain!
    Local yard has it in their price list. I have seen them quote from 70 cents to $1.10/lb. I took a 5 gallon bucket out there a couple of weeks ago and got 90 cents a pound.

Boolit Bub
    I have sold a few buckets of copper jackets from melting range scrap. The local scrap yard gave me the price for dirty copper which I was happy with.

The local scrap yard I frequent gives me the price for yellow brass. I can get a few bucks for a coffee can of bullet jackets, which is good enough for me. Any more I recover a lot of range scrap, and use the proceeds from scrap yard sales to fund my habit.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Banned

#1 and #2 copper every time I took it in here. It just depends on the yard. A couple will not touch it.

Boolit Bub
    Seems like different yards do different things. makes it tough to get the value out of it. The idea I guess is the 55 gallon drum till I find someplace or something to do with it. I like that Idea for now, might have to get a 2nd drum this summer. LOL.

Banned

I throw mine in the trash!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Scrap yard I use dumps the buckets onto the concrete tipping floor, then hovers a large electromagnet over the pile to pull out any clad-steel jackets. They shovel the remainer into a welded wire basket with 1/4" mesh and put it in a paint shaker to separate out any dirt and rocks. The contents of the basket are dumped onto the scale and they pay for it at the same rate as for fired range brass, about $1.30/pound currently.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I throw mine in the trash!
    For each 5 gallon bucket you are throwing away about $50.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    The guy that runs the "weigh and buy house" at the yard I utilize gives me the dirty copper price weight on bullet jackets. I make sure to keep him in peppers and vegetables when I am there in the summer and game meat in the fall and winter. And I try to have some fish filets sometimes. He is always smiling when I back the PU into the bay. Then to the pay out house and gets my $ and away I go. And I usually have plenty scrap. Copper pipe, scrap wire, brass pipe fittings, all kinds of aluminum, catalytic converters, electric motors, radiators from appliances/motor vehicles and of course scrap steel and iron. 2 or 3 trips a year and helps defray cost of my various toy addictions. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast