RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Desert Eagle 41 mag and PC'd cast?

Boolit Master

Desert Eagle 41 mag and PC'd cast?

Have any of you tried coated cast bullets in your Desert Eagles yet? I would hate to plug up the gas system but really want to try them.

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    All I have ever used is the 210 Sierra with 22 grains of H110....but it looks easy enough to clean even if it does...

Boolit Master

I finally got brave enough to try this over the weekend. I only shot 100 rounds and every few mags I shot a mag of my jacketed loads. No change in feel or slide velocity that I could detect. I was not able to find and recover any bullets either. I guess I am going to have to line up a bunch of milk jugs full of water and try to catch one bullet as I want to look at the bearing surfaces and make sure that the PC is still intact.

I was shooting the Saeco 411 (230 grain) with a gas check and PC. I think the key will be the gas check protecting the base of the bullet. Gotta load these pretty hot for good function. The barrel was spotless after the session.

Boolit Master
    Sounds great....

And yes, the DE is made to run full bore...any thing less and they will often fail to cycle fully....

Boolit Master
    Yes, it works great. Make sure your PC is bonded well and keep them hot to cycle the gun, eagles like them hot. Works well in my 41 mag and 50 AE. H110/ww296 has worked fine for me. I start with lower end jacketed data and work up for accuracy that will cycle.

Ebner

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    Yes, it works great. Make sure your PC is bonded well and keep them hot to cycle the gun, eagles like them hot. Works well in my 41 mag and 50 AE. H110/ww296 has worked fine for me. I start with lower end jacketed data and work up for accuracy that will cycle.

Ebner
    Thanks for the reply... I hammer test 1 bullet out of each batch, I tend to go for long bake cycles and have not had a failure yet. Getting the pressure and velocity up is not a problem, I use a commercial loaders version of H110 that I bought 100 pounds of 20 years ago. It is 10% faster than consumer H110 and shoots like a dream in just about anything applicable. It is what I have been using for jacketed loads for years in the DE.