MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 310 shop

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I hope lyman doesn't stop making them completely that would be a real loss
    I fear your hopes have already been dashed Andy. If my suspicions are correct, actual manufacture of 310 stuff has probably been discontinued by Lyman for a while. They’ve just been selling off the leftovers. Go back and look at the shrinking lists of available die sets for the last few years and see whether you agree.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Scott,

You made a 310 sized tap at .609 or so right? Not five oh nine? The middle (usual) 310 are .610. I think.

I don't think you could get the fifteen thousandths or so you'd need to squeeze a 5/8 die down to for it to work. That's quite a bit. To tighten a die, you open the locking screw. The locking screw pushes the die open. Doesn't clamp it shut.

Cat
    You are correct, .609/.610 tap.

I've never looked to see what taking tension off the screw resulted in. I would assume you would have to remove the screw and tighten the die down in the holder.

You are probably spot on with your analysis, collapsing a die .015 is huge.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    As a novice machinist (whose lathe was made in about 1950 and has pick gears instead of quick change) I have to ask, do most modern lathes have the capability to set up and cut 30 tpi? Of course turning major diameter to .609 would be no problem...

I’m still wondering about the hardening step. Would it be needed at all for a die that would see moderate use mounted in tools that lack the physical strength to exert a whole lot of pressure. Inquiring but poorly informed minds want to know!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

These are at best neck sizing dies so, no, hardening steel would not be necessary. A good polish, yes, but we are not swaging bullets here.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    As a novice machinist (whose lathe was made in about 1950 and has pick gears instead of quick change) I have to ask, do most modern lathes have the capability to set up and cut 30 tpi? Of course turning major diameter to .609 would be no problem...

I’m still wondering about the hardening step. Would it be needed at all for a die that would see moderate use mounted in tools that lack the physical strength to exert a whole lot of pressure. Inquiring but poorly informed minds want to know!

Froggie
    30 tpi is no problem for CNC lathes, but most lathes with quick change gearboxes do not have the capability to do 30 tpi. With pick gears, it would be easier to accomplish, though it might require a gear or two that you don't have. I think that it would be very hard to wear out a die made with prehardened 4140 or a modern rifle barrel that has been removed because of accuracy deficit or for a caliber change. Since the greatest force required is for neck sizing, just be sure that that part of the die is very smooth.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I have a steel set of handles that are marked 30-06. The hole in the handle where the case goes into is way larger than a 30-06 case is.
    The hole measures .560 or so with my calipers. A bit bigger than the .473 I get on a 30-06 case.
    I was thinking, would it be possible for some with a lathe to ream this hole large enough to cut threads the rest of the way through the handle?
    Once the hole was threaded could they could counter sink the hole so you could thread in the adapter die? While doing all this you would need to counter sink the hole for the locking screw of course.
    If so, how much do you think it might cost?
    I have this set of handles in the 310 swap thread, no takers as of yet.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I have a steel set of handles that are marked 30-06. The hole in the handle where the case goes into is way larger than a 30-06 case is.
    The hole measures .560 or so with my calipers. A bit bigger than the .473 I get on a 30-06 case.
    I was thinking, would it be possible for some with a lathe to ream this hole large enough to cut threads the rest of the way through the handle?
    Once the hole was threaded could they could counter sink the hole so you could thread in the adapter die? While doing all this you would need to counter sink the hole for the locking screw of course.
    If so, how much do you think it might cost?
    I have this set of handles in the 310 swap thread, no takers as of yet.
    Leo
    You need a mill, not a lathe for the job you propose. In fact, with the right vise, you could probably do it on a drill press. Then you need to find a tap for the proprietary thread to hold the adaptor. The only downside is that the little “bumps on the handle opposite the handle still mark and wear more quickly than the later tools with the spring steel “fingers” to take the wear from the pc die’s punch.

One thing to consider is that the existing 0.560” hole may be bigger than the threads of the factory adaptor and you may have to make custom bushings (adaptors) or sleeve the existing hole to start. I am out of the country right now away from all my reloading stuff so I’m working from memory and speculating as well.

Froggie

He's a one man shop. Since Lyman quit making these tools he's not been able to make stuff. He probably doesn't have your items in stock and has to make them. This can take awhile.
    When I ordered the priming chamber and shell adapter for my 7.62x54R set up it took about 3 months to get them.
    Once they got here I was very pleased. The workmanship is faultless.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    44magLeo, I assume you are talking about the 310 shop? When last I was in contact with him I got the impression that he contracts out his machine work, so getting it done in a timely manner becomes more complex by about another order of magnitude.

At one time one of the benchrest specialty die makers offered blank dies for the 310 Tool... for $50 per blank die!. If I need to get into nonstandard dies (or even ones that have become unavailable) I guess I’ll have to set up to make my own, or alter some older, cheaper dies.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Froggie

I have the proprietary size tap for this thread, if you ever need to restore the ID threads in anything, let me know.

I did some checking a while back, one can have a special die made for this thread, but it is cost prohibitive, $150 - $175 when I last had one quoted.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes Scott, that’s about where I am too. I have a pretty broad assortment of pick gears for threading on the old lathe I mentioned and an instructor from the local Community College has offered to come help set it up for thread cutting. I’m hoping I have or can get the right gear for 30 tpi, so that expensive die won’t be necessary. In the meanwhile, I’ll be on the lookout for odd 310 dies with small diameters to rebore as needed.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    I was just browsing this thread. It caught my eye simply because I probably have some 310 stuff lying around. I'm more of a Dillon loader type of guy but nonetheless... Were I intent on using such a tool set and had the means to modify and make, I don't think I could tolerate this situation for long. Used gun barrel for die stock? You bet! Trying to work with a non-standard thread pitch? No way! I'd ruin the collector value of that thing so fast... Make a tapped bushing and drill out the old handle threads. Ream to accept the new bushing and press it home. If you have to TIG it, so be it. Make new dies with a common thread to screw into your new bushing and don't look back. Sorry for the rant. This kind of thing just ticks me off. We can put a man on the moon...lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you have access to a reasonably well tooled lathe, cutting external 30 tpi threads (to make dies) should present very small barriers. The tap is a bit more of a challenge, but it can be overcome... and you would only have to buy one. We've gotten past that man-on-the-moon thing. The laptop you are reading this on has multiple times more computing power than the ones that went to the moon for things like navigating, climate control, etc. Keep what works and move on from what doesn't! JMHO - YMMV!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I fear your hopes have already been dashed Andy. If my suspicions are correct, actual manufacture of 310 stuff has probably been discontinued by Lyman for a while. They’ve just been selling off the leftovers. Go back and look at the shrinking lists of available die sets for the last few years and see whether you agree.

Froggie
    I looked last night at the Lyman site, and they have, IIRC, 44-40 & 45LC as the only options.

I've got three lathes, two of which are operational, at least more or less. The Atlas TH42 & South Bend Heavy 10L skip from 28 to 32 tpi. The 10L is a restoration project, not going to be usable anytime soon. The Atlas is a change gear lathe, I'd have to figure out what gears I need, and buy or make them. The Harbor Freight 7x10 will supposedly make a 30tpi thread with the gears I have now. My brother turned me on to 310 tools, and I've been collecting some spare dies and such so I can measure them and the accessories. I'm not a machinist. I am in a class to become a machinist, so it's possible at some point I'll be able to make such things. I'm also retired now, so I might even have time one of these days to attempt such things. Stay tuned, and don't hold your breath!

Boolit Man
    Sadly most modern lathes are not tooled to cut 30 tpi. If you have an older change gear lathe and the proper charts you should be able to cut that pitch. The small bench lathes that come in from China are change gear lathes and they can easily be set up to cut just about any pitch thread you want. I have one of the small lathes I got from Micro Mark out of NJ. I have used it to cut a variety of thread pitches including 30.
    Since 30 tpi is pretty much of a bastard thread pitch most makes of modern lathes will not be able to do it with out some kind of a gear change someplace in the set up.
    Lyman seems to, over the years, used a bunch of odd pitches on the threaded parts they have made. I guess they just don't want you to be able to head down to the local hardware store and pick up a replacement screw from something you broke.
    Sam

Boolit Mold
    Thread update 05/22/2020
    I too have been trying to get up with Rick … .. Glad to hear that he is so busy (bizzy) BUT bad for me .
    I have tried the web site E-mail & his G-mail & the Phone is all but useless (fast busy signal)
    Well I'll give it some more time & Rick will find some time to call me
    JT

Boolit Master

I talked with Rick about 3 weeks ago - Just stuck my finger in the dial hole and rang him right up. Yes we still have a rotary phone on the kitchen table . . .
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Bub
    It is hard to get ahold of him, he's pretty busy. I found it's best by phone in the
    afternoon.

Boolit Grand Master

A number of years ago Rick made some pieces for me and I spoke with him on the phone. He told me his work was limited because he was staying at home to care for his kids while his wife worked. Now that was long enough ago that they are probably grown and he has more time to run the 310 shop.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Just ordered a 310 handle adapter from him. Came right in./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast