MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 310 shop

Boolit Buddy

310 shop

Does anyone know if the 310 shop is still operating? I need a 45-70 powder compression die and have emailed them twice and left a voice message on the phone they have listed. Haven't heard anything from them.

On another note, last week I called Lyman to inquire about tools and dies ( 310) and was told they are no longer making the tool and are now, discontinuing the dies. The reason was that the 310 stuff has become less and less popular. Lyman is the one who directed me to the 310 shop by the way.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Master
    As far as i know . the 310 shop is still in business.
    4237 Boxwood drive
    Denton TX 76228
    PH 940 271 1222
    the 310 shop @gmail.com
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    The 310 shop does good work but if he does not have one in stock you may have a long wait. I use a Lee die and comp plug from Track of Wolf.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    The 310 shop does good work but if he does not have one in stock you may have a long wait. I use a Lee die and comp plug from Track of Wolf.
    Which works really well and costs very little.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
    Does anyone know if the 310 shop is still operating? I need a 45-70 powder compression die and have emailed them twice and left a voice message on the phone they have listed. Haven't heard anything from them.

On another note, last week I called Lyman to inquire about tools and dies ( 310) and was told they are no longer making the tool and are now, discontinuing the dies. The reason was that the 310 stuff has become less and less popular. Lyman is the one who directed me to the 310 shop by the way.
    I'm really sorry to hear this, but not surprised. They made fewer and fewer calibers available and eased the prices higher and higher, so it was only a matter of time before they had the "reason" to discontinue them. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Lyman had a long run with their proprietary dies and tools, but seems to have felt they could do better by going for more modern designs... not a bad idea, but sad nonetheless.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Kind of sad to hear, but the design is 120 years old, not so bad when you think about it.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Emailed 310 shop again. No response as of yet. Not in a hurry, can wait for the part. Lee die and comp plug from TOW? This would fit the Lee hand press but not the 310 correct?
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
    Emailed 310 shop again. No response as of yet. Not in a hurry, can wait for the part. Lee die and comp plug from TOW? This would fit the Lee hand press but not the 310 correct?
    Yes the Lee die and plug will fit what I call a regular press. I had to buy a reducer to use the 310 dies in my press. I think the dia and thread pitch is only common to 310 dies.

Boolit Buddy
    I did get in touch with Tim and was able to order the compression die for the 310. What a nice guy! He has been slammed with work since Lyman discontinued the products. Yes, the threads are different. The old 310 uses a 30 pitch when everyone else in the world ( except one company, who will make 30 pitch threads for your lathe) uses 32.

Being a one man show at the 310 shop makes him very busy. It may take a few tries to get to him.
    He knows a lot about the 310 tools and don't mind talking about them. I ordered a few things from him and it took a few months to get what I ordered. He does a great job.
    Leo

Boolit Mold
    Spoke to Rick, last week
    Really helpful guy.
    Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua

Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

Boolit Man
    Sadly he is not taking any custom orders right now do to his increased workload since Lyman stopped making them. I may have a spare .45-70 compression die around here.

A question for the machinists. I'm presuming patents are expired, in this question.
    With CAD/CAM equipment, would it be worth someone's time to program in the all the parts to machine one offs of this type of equipment?

Boolit Grand Master
    Making a run of blank dies would make the most sense. You could make them with pilot holes, then finish bore and ream as needed. Because the threads were just about proprietary setup will be a little tricky, the diameter is not an even fractional size and the threads are 30 per inch... not a size die you can buy @ the Horrible Fright store!

Then comes the question of hardening. You’ll have to final polish after this step as well. I don’t know whether all of the dies were or even need to be hardened. Any ideas?

Froggie

Boolit Master

I have a tap that was made to .509 - .510 - 30, I used this to chase/restore the threads for any TL jr or 310 items that come my way. I looked into getting a die, but the wasn't worth it to me.
    You might be able to buy a 5/8 - 30 die and tighten the lock screw down and get it down to .509-.510.

I can program and run any size thread I need at work, when the machines are empty, but we have been setup running steady for going on 3 years now. Good thing for business, bad thing for any government work.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, the die would probably be even tougher to get than the tap... probably the idea of turning the threads on a lathe would be best. What about my question about hardening?

Froggie

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    THIS:

https://www.victornet.com/productpag...FQL2ggod4iBehg

would be the company to contact regarding 5/8 x 30 taps and dies. Although they don't have them listed, their specialty is making any size tap or die you require. I've dealt with them when ordering metric dies for my Jap rifles and found the quality excellent and the prices quite fair.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Making a run of blank dies would make the most sense. You could make them with pilot holes, then finish bore and ream as needed. Because the threads were just about proprietary setup will be a little tricky, the diameter is not an even fractional size and the threads are 30 per inch... not a size die you can buy @ the Horrible Fright store!

Then comes the question of hardening. You’ll have to final polish after this step as well. I don’t know whether all of the dies were or even need to be hardened. Any ideas?

Froggie
    Easiest solution would be to use pre-hardened 4140, normally has a hardness of Rc28-32, about the same as good chrome moly barrels. If further hardness is desired, have them salt bath nitrided as it will give a very hard surface without causing warping/dimensional changes.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 06-01-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling, chrome spell check not working.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy

I hope lyman doesn't stop making them completely that would be a real loss

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I have a tap that was made to .509 - .510 - 30, I used this to chase/restore the threads for any TL jr or 310 items that come my way. I looked into getting a die, but the wasn't worth it to me.
    You might be able to buy a 5/8 - 30 die and tighten the lock screw down and get it down to .509-.510.

I can program and run any size thread I need at work, when the machines are empty, but we have been setup running steady for going on 3 years now. Good thing for business, bad thing for any government work.

Scott
    Scott,

You made a 310 sized tap at .609 or so right? Not five oh nine? The middle (usual) 310 are .610. I think.

I don't think you could get the fifteen thousandths or so you'd need to squeeze a 5/8 die down to for it to work. That's quite a bit. To tighten a die, you open the locking screw. The locking screw pushes the die open. Doesn't clamp it shut.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast