Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: A great bullet for the 9mm Largo Destroyer Carbine

A great bullet for the 9mm Largo Destroyer Carbine

I was not having much luck with accuracy out of my 9mm Largo Destroyer Carbine using a 124 grain bullet made for the "Luger" at 200 meters.
    I would get gross fliers for no apparent reason. ( bullet speed plus/minus did not help)
    My bore is tight but hates Berry's Plated bullets as well as most of the common cast 9mm Luger bullets.
    I remembered I had a bullet mold for my .357 that was made for shooting Silhouette targets,which I did in the past.
    The bullet,when lubed/ sized to .357 and gas checked weighs 190 grains. It has a long body,large grease groove and a Keith nose.
    Out of my pistol it shot very well.
    I fired several loads into my bullet-trap with the carbine and found the maximum safe load was 3.8 grains of Unique. Anymore would be dangerous with this bullet. Start with 3.5 grains and work up 1/10th of a grain.
    Loading from my double-stack magazine was not a problem with this heavy, blunt nosed bullet.
    At the range today, this bullet was very accurate at 200 meters. With the leaf site erected,and the sight bar at the lowest setting the bullet hit high center in our target. The was no pressure problems,no leading and "flight Time" was faster than I expected. It was almost dead calm so the bullet flew true to the target. The 12x14" AR500 scale Torso target was easy to hit. The bullet disintegrated upon impact and left a very large mark. You could clearly hear the target ring when struck.
    For what this little carbine is, I was pleased how well it shot using this bullet.
    If your Destroyer carbine is shooting poorly with the "standard" 9mm Luger bullets, give this bullet a try. you may bring new life into your little gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190 grain1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	240161

Name:	mold1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	240162

Name:	mold2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	240163

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been looking to reload for my Destroyer.
    I did try some 115 gr, but it wasn't that great.
    Any way I could get a few from you to try out????

Banner Sponsor

I thought that I wrote a reply, but it dissapeared??
    Anyway, have you slugged your Destroyer Carbine?
    I have a Star Modelo Super in 9mm Largo and the barrel on it measures .358". I've been messing around with the Ranch Dog 190 in it with slower powders, but haven't gotten anywhere good with it yet. Maybe I'll try your Unique load and see if it's any better.

Boolit Master

I once owned a Destroyer Carbine in 9mm Largo that I used to use Lyman's 356402 Truncated Cone bullet with but mostly it was for rolling cans/dirt clods at the range. That same bullet and load in my Star Super will rip the center out of a target when its sized at .357" (basically as cast with the lube being placed on the entire shank of the bullet. 5.3gr of Unique gives me 1200fps in the Super. Its probably faster in the Destroyer with the longer barrel.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

My carbine's bore is tight. When slugged I got .3555. I could not chamber a .358 bullet in the case,but .357 closed with no effort. The case is not bulged either where the bullet seats. I do a slight taper crimp,but I doubt it is needed as the bullet is a tight fit in the case,no shaving of lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll have to slug to see what boolet it needs.
    So many projects, so little time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got a few heavy boolets from Rapidrod. Thank you.
    I've normally used 120gr cast, so no idea what a heavier boolet load is.
    Starting with a 127gr and working up to a 148gr, before trying the 190gr.
    I was looking at trying a 38/200 load.
    Fun, fun, fun.