WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: shooting the new spiller and burr 36 cal.

Boolit Buddy

shooting the new spiller and burr 36 cal.

I got my new Spiller and burr in Friday and after searching for FFFG black powder(and not finding any around here, I went with Hodgdons triple 7. it's a brass frame with a 6 and 1/2 inch blued barrel. my Flask with filled with FFG powder and I tried that first. the book says that .22 gr's of black is the max. after putting in .22 gr's of FFG and a fiber wad and a tab of grease the ball stuck out of the cylinder to where I had to cut off the top of the ball with my knift. the load was so weak that most of us could spit father than that! I cut the charge back to 15 gr's of FFG and that was worse.(and no I didn't hit the steel plate at 10 yards that I was aiming at.) In desperation I went to the hodgdon triple 7. with 15gr's of triple 7, and a paper target I found that the ball was hitting the paper about 10 inches high at 10 yards. and I finally got all 6 plates with 6 shots. I used number 10 and 11 caps. the 10s had to be pressed hard on the nipples and the 11's had to be pinched to stay on the nipple. it was easier to load the cylinder with powder and wad with the cylinder out of the gun,(My loading proceadure was not a good one for this gun. I had to pour the powder into a variable charger first and then pour the powder in the variable charger, into the cylinder.( it was a big pain in the ordure orffice.)
    the good news is the triple 7 cleans up nice. one patch down the barrel and it was clean enough. and there wasn't much left in the cylinders, I'll be waiting to see if it starts to rust! and yes, I put the powder in the cylinder first then a fiber wad next, with a drop of lube. then the ball. but 15gr's of triple 7 felt like a good charge and it knocked the plates down.(the plates are 8 inch dia. about 5/8 inch thick. it looks like I got more trash from the primers on the frame then from the powder. it was a good day at the range, sunny and about 80 degrees

Banned
    Try Alliant Black, far superior to Triple 7.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBlover429 View Post
    Try Alliant Black, far superior to Triple 7.
    Superior in what way? As he noted the sub par performance using an unknown 2F powder in the flask compared to T7 he may well be disappointed with Black MZ, which is also 2F and weak in comparison. He seemed disappointed in the performance.

May not be an issue for the OP, but for myself, I need performance as mine are for hunting.

777 is hotter than any other as far as I know I know formulas change . I would try 3f just to see. sounds like the 2f might of seen too much humidity at one time
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    What powder was the 2F?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm pretty sure the 2F was Goex, it works fine in my 1860 but not in the S&B.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... Maybe your chambers are grossly undersized and the 2F charge wasn’t enough to obturate the ball to fill the grooves. This has been noted in the Pietta Remington Pocket. A much larger ball helped.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You will need 3FFF for your pistol.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!