Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Can we all agree that a double-action revolver is best for bear defense?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I think it has something to do with the track pants. Russians love track pants...
    Yeah, track pants might be it, but it looks like he has a special bear bat. Maybe that is just the ticket.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-28-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Of course, maybe we are all going about it wrong. This Russian guy chased off a bear using a special bat.

Attachment 240574
    My guess is that the guy is chasing the youngster off of his vodka still.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

Look at the lack of claws in the pics. My guess it's a trained bear or a bear in training??????????
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Well the track pants official pants of the Russian Mafia and he is really bearing down on him with that bat......

Boolit Master
    More likely to be killed in a traffic accident or drunken brawl than by a bear. But then paranoid hysteria sells better than reality.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    More likely to be killed in a traffic accident or drunken brawl than by a bear. But then paranoid hysteria sells better than reality.
    Especially in Missouri...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I can agree to staying out of bear country the best defense against bears.

It's hard for me to imagine a better "bear gun" than that new S&W model 69. Small/light enough it will actually be carried and stainless. 5-shots of 44 mag (I'm thinking 265-310 grainer). I don't think increasing the bore size will do much good. With larger bore to maintain the same sectional density you will end up with a very heavy bullet with very heavy recoil for a reasonable carry weight revolver. The 3+ pound revolver in the safe doesn't help much.

On second though I might argue that a 6 or 7 round 357 loaded with 180 or 200 grain hard cast bullets in the front and expanded JHPs in the back and TRAINING FOR A RAPID and ACCURATE MULTI-HIT response may be a better strategy. I have absolutely no doubt that 3 to 7 deep penetrating 357s delivered well and fast will be far more effective than one-well placed 454 followed by another that goes into the dirt/air. And definitely better than one 10mm followed by a pistol hurled at the bear's face.

SA revolvers are just silly for everything in my opinion. I had a Blackhawk once...I can safely say it is the only handgun I've sold for which I've had zero regrets. They are slow to fire and even slower to reload and have stupid grips. I even think they are ugly. They were obsolescent in the 1890s. There is nothing that a SA can do that a DA/SA can't do better and faster. I bought the thing because it was a 44 and I wanted a 44 and couldn't afford a Model 29 or 629. At least I sold it for exactly what I paid for it.

I would never trust an auto for that sort of thing. I've worked with 10mm a bunch. And though my S&W 1076 never once jammed or had any other failure I never loaded it with heavy for caliber bullets appropriate to the task (nothing over 200 grains). Just too much risk of a malfunction as autos are designed to work in narrow bullet weight/velocity ranges. It's always when you do something weird that they have problems too. Since nearly everybody shoots at a very artificial controlled setting--the range--and never deliberately limp-wrists or does weird things to make their autos jam the belief in their reliability tends to be misguided in my estimation. Most autos I CAN MAKE JAM if I want to. A particularly good way to do it is use hot ammo and then shoot it over a box or table so you maximize the arc of the recoil motion. This can bonk your wrist with the slide or throw the slide stop up against the slide. The high-reliability biased autos like Glocks usually have sloppy chambers with large unsupported areas in the back...perfect recipe for disaster when you "load for bear." I had a H&K P7, arguably the most reliable and one of the best designed/tested/made auto-pistols of all time...if you shot it rapidly with certain ammo the trigger guard would get so hot it would cause blisters.

Boolit Master
    Yup the model 69 looks like a sweet all around cary gun to me .
    If get another S&W revolver that will be it.

Boolit Master
    Every time a I see a new post I still think about the Mossberg Shock wave on a three point shorter than a SBR handles slugs really well and of course buckshot.

Are there nice holsters for those Mossberg shocks?

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Remington Tac 14 version. I find them to be the most fun toys I own. I liked it so much I purchased a second one. I play with them a lot. I even shoot trap with them for fun and I have shot geese with them. From the 16 yard line 18 to 22 is normal. As a serious bear defense firearm them would be my last choice. Slow to aim, compared to handguns bulky to carry, requires both hands to shoot and with heavy slugs recoil is excessive. I have over 2,000 rounds through mine.

Grizzly bears have been stopped with bird shot, however, I want with something with more penetration than 33 or 36 Cal round balls.

000 buckshot .36" - 68 grains

00 buckshot .33" - 54 grains

With a laser on them they become a vary viable home defense firearm since you can hip shoot them and actually hit something. Even though both Mossberg and Remington state not to fire them from eye level that is really the only way to score consistent hits.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-02-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Just curious. What pistols do professional fishing guides carry in grizzly country?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have the Remington Tac 14 version. I find them to be the most fun toys I own. I liked it so much I purchased a second one. I play with them a lot. I even shoot trap with them for fun and I have shot geese with them. From the 16 yard line 18 to 22 is normal. As a serious bear defense firearm them would be my last choice. Slow to aim, compared to handguns bulky to carry, requires both hands to shoot and with heavy slugs recoil is excessive. I have over 2,000 rounds through mine.

Grizzly bears have been stopped with bird shot, however, I want with something with more penetration than 33 or 36 Cal round balls.

000 buckshot .36" - 68 grains

00 buckshot .33" - 54 grains

With a laser on them they become a vary viable home defense firearm since you can hip shoot them and actually hit something. Even though both Mossberg and Remington state not to fire them from eye level that is really the only way to score consistent hits.
    You should try a Tac 13
    I bought one for ... too much on gun broker a few months ago
    Price, not surprisingly is $200 lower now, but I just had to have it.
    I agree, shooting at the hip is sub-optimal, but I will keep practicing. Had an Aimpoint on it and trying out lasers.
    For CQC it works real good with #1 buckshot
    Highly recommended.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Are there nice holsters for those Mossberg shocks?
    DeSantis makes a nice one. Several others make nice holsters for it too.
    ref https://www.desantisholster.com/kurz-shotgun-case/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    You should try a Tac 13
    I bought one for ... too much on gun broker a few months ago
    Price, not surprisingly is $200 lower now, but I just had to have it.
    I agree, shooting at the hip is sub-optimal, but I will keep practicing. Had an Aimpoint on it and trying out lasers.
    For CQC it works real good with #1 buckshot
    Highly recommended.
    I purchased the Tac 14's when Remington had the rebates on them. I have $249.00 in to each. I would love to have a Tac 13 I just don't want to spend that much.

With the laser they come into their own for CQC. Normally I am not much of a fan of the cheap Chinese stuff but these have worked very well for me. Maybe I just got lucky but with the vertical foregrip the center of the light is perfect for POI. The green laser is very bright.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Gr...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Rifle-R...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Ve...53.m1438.l2649
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-03-2019 at 12:04 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    DeSantis makes a nice one. Several others make nice holsters for it too.
    ref https://www.desantisholster.com/kurz-shotgun-case/

If it had a pocket on the other side for a machete, it would be perfect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    After due consideration, I am opposed to bears having fire arms, even for defense.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    some say the earliest way that man defended against predators was large numbers of people throwing rocks. so ill bring 30 baseball pitchers with a carrier full of rocks, hmm.. ya that sounds effective

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567