Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Petroleum Distillate Expert Needed

Petroleum Distillate Expert Needed

How close in composition, volatility and evaporation rate are Coleman fuel, lighter fluid, and VM&P (Varnish Maker's and Painter's Naptha) to the naptha used as a high octane fuel?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    look up the CAS number and description of all of the materials you have questions about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_Registry_Number
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Close enough that the government here tax them the same as on road fuel.............and if you buy paint thinner in drums you can apply for a tax rebate................at one time ,about 20 years ago ,a couple of the cut price service stations sold reclaimed paint thinner as cut price gasoline............it worked OK in low compression engines ,but fill up a Euro performance car,and youd be lucky to get 100 miles before a piston holed.

Boolit Master
    I thought that Coleman fuel was a low octane unleaded gas. That’s what I have been told around 55 to 60 octane .

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I thought that Coleman fuel was a low octane unleaded gas. That’s what I have been told around 55 to 60 octane .
    You might be correct about content. Wiki says, Coleman fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane The container of CF I looked at recently led me to believe Coleman fuel contains naptha, but that designation seems to be a nebulous, catch-all term.

If Wiki post is accurate, you are quite correct about CF's octane rating.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Close enough that the government here tax them the same as on road fuel.............and if you buy paint thinner in drums you can apply for a tax rebate................at one time ,about 20 years ago ,a couple of the cut price service stations sold reclaimed paint thinner as cut price gasoline............it worked OK in low compression engines ,but fill up a Euro performance car,and youd be lucky to get 100 miles before a piston holed.
    Thanks, John. I hadn't thought to dump any of the substances under question into my van's gas tank. Sure hope the local filling station isn't reading your post and getting ideas.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I filed up the van and headed to St. Louis. We where almost there and the van started to cut out and sputter. I got to the parking lot and the first thang I did was take the gas line and fuel filter off. It smelled like old laquer and enamel paint thinner. Growing up in a body shop I know what it smells like. That was 22 years ago. Filled up the tank and cleaned the plugs and all was fine

Boolit Master
    The chain of service stations selling recycled thinner as gasoline were eventually prosecuted by the Customs and Excise and massive fines and jail sentences levied..............which didnt worry the sellers ,they simply went back to Lebanon,beyond the reach of the law here.............at that time there was a disorganized crime group getting paid to take away and dispose of thinner ......going price being $1800 a 8ton truckload.............some was buried,some was stacked in rented sheds ,some was tipped into drains..........until the EPA cracked down....but the catch was the used solvent wasnt all burnable ,as some of it was chlorinated hydrocarbons,like 1,1,1,trichloroethane,which ruined the ptroleum solvent ......however ,enter the refiner,who had some old rusting oil refining plant and tanks..........the catch again being waste.......the paint thinner was about 1/3 solid paint residue and lacquer........so that had to be dumped .......anyway ,the EPA has caught up with all that years ago.....................and when the young un s ask .......grandpa,how did you make all your money........do I say I was an environmental vandal.......but never of the scale of the big chemical companies,who added toxic waste to food supplements for third world aid.

Oooookay - - so I need to be watching my vitamin and mineral supplements as well as the gas pump. Thanks for that alert.

Boolit Master
    Naptha, white gas, Coleman fuel, etc is pretty low octane. What you might have been thinking of is Toluene which was what Formula 1 used for fuel at one point till it was banned.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Toluene is a very high octane fuel or fuel additive. I thank its made out of coal oil. It makes great high octane racing gas. It burns like ethanol very hard to start in cold weather. Indy cars did use this for years before they went green and went to alcohol