MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: The Shot Heard Round the World

Boolit Master

The Shot Heard Round the World

Yesterday, April 19th, was the anniversary of the day that the shots were fired at Lexington & Concord, Mass., as well as at the little village of Menotomy,Mass., in 1775, that started the American Revolutionary War.

Some states call it, "Patriots Day".

It makes me kind of sad that not many folks knew/know about that part of American history, or do not realize just what a great event in US history it was that happened that day. As well, as do not seem to even think of it now.

I waited until today to mention it here, as I thought someone from the states that celebrate it(Observed by:Massachusetts, Maine, Wisconsin, Connecticut (since 2018), encouraged in Florida) would have posted up a topic about it, but that does not seem to have happened that I saw, so I am mentioning it now. I think it is a pity that it is not more widely celebrated too.

Not many folks know that the reason those shots were fired was not about taxes, but about the intended confiscation( or destruction) of arms & components like powder & shot. British Lt. Gen Gage, as the then acting British Royal Governor, sent British troops to Lexington & Concord to confiscate/destroy the arms, powder & shot from there, to try to remove the means for the civilian patriots to be able to fight against the troops of the Crown of King George, in rebellion over the tyrannical actions of the British at that time.

It is also one of the main reasons we have the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

While it is now the day after, I hope that folks will still keep in mind, today & in the future, what happened back then in 1775, "the "Shot Heard Round the World", and how it affected all of us up until now & into the future.

God Bless America!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-20-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    In case some were wondering about the battle of Menotomy, Mass, here is a link to look at & read to know more, if you care to do so:
    https://arlingtonhistorical.org/lear...e-of-menotomy/
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, yes I did forget. But you have helped fix that date in my mind, and now it's on my calendar. Thank you sir.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver7 View Post
    Thank you, yes I did forget. But you have helped fix that date in my mind, and now it's on my calendar. Thank you sir.
    You are Welcome! & it is more enjoyable date to remember & perhaps even celebrate than one like April 15th as Tax Day, right?

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

I had no idea. Thanks for informing. It should have been in the news.

Great thread/post, JB. I guess now days many are listening for the next shot.

DG

Boolit Master

IIRC, I think the American Rifleman did an article on the battle of Concord./Lexington. Per their thoughts that battle was the most deadly of any American military batle. They estimated the number of rifles and the number of shots fired and weighted that against the number of casualities. Highest casualities per shot fired.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Cannot really expect much "knowledge " about our history when far to many public schools (teachers union) have thrown out what has to do with Honor, Courage and Sacrifice for our country. Ridicule the military and forget the veterans are basic policy.
    Move the clock up to 2 days ago 1942 and who knows why the USS Hornet and Enterprise plus support were sailing west at 20 knots across the Pacific... Or May or June or August out across the Pacific...
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

The day we get back to schools teaching the REAL history of this Republic is the day we'll saved and put back on the path we were meant to follow.

Boolit Master
    Excellent post! Most don't know it today, except in Mass. or Maine where it's a state holiday.

Much of the history portion at an Appleseed is the 19th of April battle for our Liberty.

I've heard many stories of the shot, usually just an accident.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Thank-You JB for that very informative post. I have learned a very important piece of American History today. Shame on me for not knowing sooner.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

I find it intersting that the Crown fear was of the Brown Bess muskets and bayonettes stored there. Civilans or local militas dont need large caliber fast firing military guns
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    I have always admired the American ideals of standing firm on their history and what it stood for, something sadly lacking in this country. I guess it is easy to see why history has a habit of repeating itself when we don't remember the lessons of the past. Thank you for that link JBinMN, most interesting. Regards Stephen

Interesting! Thanks for posting!
    I am surprised that such an important date is not even being mentioned in the Civics test when becoming American citizen.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Great for you to remember that day. Much to important to ever forget or let anyone else forget.
    Also, should be added, the prelude to the start of our whole history started in Warwick, RI with the...
    Burning of the Gaspee, (June 10, 1772), an act of open civil defiance against British authority when Rhode Islanders boarded and sank the British Ship the Gaspee.
    We have a month long set of festivities here, which end with a reinactment of that day, with a burning of a replica (much smaller than original) to end the celebration.
    You just can't forget where you came from, who help to get us here and what they had to give up for it.

Boolit Master
    4/19 is my Birthday it has had several historic events
    Here are some:

1995 - U.S.A. Oklahoma Bombing: A truck full of explosives destroyed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, killing 168 people. In 1997, Timothy McVeigh was convicted of the bombing.

1993 - U.S.A. Waco Cult Raid: An assault on the Waco cult headquarters of the Branch Davidian sect near Waco, Texas ends in a deadly fire (believed to have been started by those inside) and ends with the death of 70 cult members including the cults leader Mr Koresh. The buildings have been surrounded since February when four agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) were killed as they attempted to arrest Mr Koresh on firearms charges.

1775: Minutemen Capt John Parker orders not to fire unless fired upon.

1775: Paul Revere, William Dawes and Samuel Prescott are captured by British troops riding from Lexington to Concord, Prescott escapes to warn Concord.

1775: The Shot Heard Round the World: The first shot of the American Revolution at the Old North Bridge in Concord, Massachusetts, where the first British soldiers fell in the battles of Lexington and Concord on April 19, 1775. Historically, no single shot can be cited as the first shot of the battle or the war. Shots were fired earlier that day at Lexington, Massachusetts, where eight Americans were killed and a British soldier was slightly wounded, but accounts of that event are confused and contradictory. The North Bridge skirmish did see the first shots by Americans acting under orders, the first organized volley by Americans, the first British fatalities, and the first British retreat.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 04-21-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Lexington, Massachusetts, where eight Americans were killed and a British soldier was slightly wounded Agree. The other 'first shots' = Ferdinand, Sumter, etc.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I recently visited Lexington and Concord. We walked the full length of the battle road in the historic park out and back. We stopped to take pictures and read signs along the way, but probably still made better time than the British since we didn't have Minutemen shooting at us.
    I'm a history buff, and still found new details to learn about the events. I never thought about what happened to the British who fell. They were buried near where they fell along the road. Boulders with British flags and brass plaques still mark those spots. (I imagine we didn't start flying the British flags back on April 20th but at a later date once relations warmed up...)
    Thinking about the day from the British perspective, it was probably like our experience in Mogadishu. Top secret mission to sneak in a grab someone, word gets out, natives start shooting back, they have to walk back out as more natives with guns keep showing up.
    Also remember that the British style of agriculture was to clear cut land. The battle road today is nicely wooded and very peaceful to walk along. Back in 1775 it was all cleared fields except for certain wood lots.

Boolit Master

Very interesting thread...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)