RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1941 Johnson....ruined

Boolit Master
    @ Bazoo
    Thank you.
    The OP in this thread did not include any Back Story, so naturally people are going to jump on him, because they assume that he Butchered a Perfectly Good Piece of history.
    He probably bought it as a Cut Up Parts Kit that was Legal to sell under BATF regs.
    But without a class 3 Manufactures license, he can not make and sell it as a machine gun.
    and he is limited to where and to whom he can sell it to.
    And most of you, including me would not want to buy it at any price.
    It just isn't our cup of tea.
    The Re bore of the barrel is a good indication that the barrel was worn out or rusted, so why not make it workable rather than a piece of iron hanging on the wall that nobody knows the real history, or story behind it.
    I would commend the Smith for his efforts, but still would like to know the back story, even though I would never consider buying it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    That is the coolest rifle I have ever seen. Thanks for posting. I am thinking about buying it.

Did you forget the purple font?

Boolit Mold
    For whatever reason, it's still an abortion.

The 1941 Johnson was semi auto and the space age looking LMG was full auto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

While that rifle in the picture doesn't do anything for me, Nope not going to make a bid on it for any reason. I also have to wonder when this conversion was done ( how old it is now). A perspective to consider is How many Springfields, mausers and other military rifles were [I]sporterized[I] in the 50s to the eearly70s when this craze was popular. Now these rifles by known makers are prized and considered collectors. I have seen a couple SKS and garands sporterized over the years also.

Boolit Mold
    There were much more '03s, mausers, etc made than Johnsons. But even if was a Mauser, it would look like ****.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 04-21-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Violation of the Word Censor

Boolit Master

My Mama taught me, if you can't say something good, don't say anything! That is the only thing I can say.....

Boolit Master
    That is a pretty neat gun though. The 338-06 round is a good hunting round nonetheless. It was owned by someone, and they can do anything they want with it. Now then I am not a fan of painting a gun as the paint wears off and scratches easily. So I don't do it. But maybe a cerakote finish or something would be good. Anyway it is priced way up there for something like this. But I am sure some rich guy will want it.

Boolit Master

I like it- cool paint job. as for backstory- wasn't the Johnson noted for stocks breaking? or some other catastrophic failure? I'd feel no shame having it as is in my pile, but $5,000 really?

I couldn’t find that one on GB but there is a sporter stocked ( conventional walnut) 1941 Johnson on there and it has a starting bid of 5 grand as well.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I'm still trying to verify that there's a Johnson under all that garbage,,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just wish I had bought a Johnson back when you could still get them for $150.

On the bright side, if you own a nice example, this project just increased the value of your rifle, by one less as-issued example being available.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGuy2756 View Post
    I don't understand why some people get so nasty when it comes to these things. His gun, he can do what he wants. Why he would modify a rare and valuable 41 Johnson is anybody's guess. I don't like it either but I certainly wouldn't send the guy death threats. Some people are wound way too tight.
    I've seen people freak over a modified Mosin even though there were like 20,000,000 made.
    I agree.
    This is what happens when the daycare survivors think they're adults.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Guys,

I bought my first military surplus arm in 1958, as a 14 year old, for $13.99 and she is original in my vault. I was earning $1.00 per hour for lawn mowing. I was troubled to see all the many fine arms beyond my cash flow at the several local gun shops. I suffered much more when the "sporterization" craze butchered so many fine arms.

My only wish is I would have liked to be as rich as I am today in 1960. So may fine arms that my patient LGS shops allowed me to handle back then are now gone forever.

Adam

Banned

I am fully on board with the "his rifle, he can do what he wants with it" mentality, I truly am, but that is still painful to look at.

Wonder how it shoots?

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I am fully on board with the "his rifle, he can do what he wants with it" mentality, I truly am, but that is still painful to look at.
    Exactly, but’s it’s worth a giggle at least....

Boolit Master

Years ago about 1997 went shooting with a friend he had a johnson semi auto 30-06 , his name was johnson and he shot it but it was not functioning up to snuff , I believe he sold it before he passed about 5 or more years ago, to each their own , I like original military , but have a few that were made into sporters , still fine in my book .

Boolit Master
    Absolutely it's his rifle to do with as he pleases. But, a couple of thoughts:

A) I can't help but wonder if the thought, time, labor, and money couldn't have just as easily been expended in making it original as it was in making it an abomination. He could have just as easily made it right as make it a flight of fantasy. "I can't find a Johnson barrel." Of course not, but a guy with a lathe and a mill can make one. "Where would I find a stock?" You won't, but you can make one. Or conversely make it a Homeric-like quest to root out the original parts to put it in original condition- rare as they are, they're out there somewhere.

B) We reach a point in history where we have an obligation to maintain icons for future generations, especially those that are relatively rare. Analogy: would kids in the year 2119 have a better sense of automotive/corporate history by viewing an original immaculate 1932 Ford V-8 roadster or a crummy '32 Ford hotrod? Beautiful original '32's are far more valuable than the rod Uncle Jimmy built in his garage in 1973, even if Uncle Jimmy did a bang-up job. To sacrifice such icons as early V-8's and rare rifles on the altar of personal whims denotes a degree of aesthetic bankruptcy and disregard for future generations.

Boolit Master

I'm in the "keep it original" camp. Yes, it's his rifle to do as he pleases, and yes who knows what shape it was prior to that rebuild but IMHO, it's just plain awful.
    It reminds me of when those dumb a**es at Red Jacket firearms built Jesse James a BAR. They butchered an original to "create" something unique for him. Different strokes I suppose.
    Semper Fi.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast