Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1941 Johnson....ruined

Cast Hunter

1941 Johnson....ruined

While browsing a small LGS, this "gem" caught my eye. I'm not sure I've seen a more unholy bastardization of what was once a fine and somewhere rare piece of military history. Talking to the guy behind the counter, he said the Gun Broker ad has brought about a deluge of hate messages. People don't realize this is actually a consignment piece and not his personal handy work. (Someone even said "Go kill yourself!"). I cannot fathom what the "gunsmith" was thinking here. Sometimes Bubba needs to shoo away the good idea fairy...

Yes, it's been rechambered for 338-06.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd give him a dollar for it.
    Then take it out and give it a proper burial.
    Guy has no respect for for historical firearms.

While not my "cup o' tea", I cannot help but wonder if the original condition of the arm were such that this may have been an improvement. Maybe it was completely trash to start????

Boolit Master
    Nobody ever wants to listen to the Back Story about how things came to be.
    I once picked up an old Mauser that had literally been run over by a truck.
    The barrel was bent, the sights were damaged, the stock was Cracked in two, and the trigger guard was smashed.
    It had been sitting in a barn for 30 years and was heavily rusted.
    I tore it down and installed a Take off barrel from an old JC Higgens 30-06 , and made a new sporter stock, polished and blued the metal.
    I was able to straighten the trigger guard, and get the rifle working again.
    But all I got in response was, "You Ruined History."
    You should have left it the way you found it, it might have been a collectors piece.
    (The Rifle was run over on a Farm here in the U.S not in some Battle in WW2)
    People would say,
    If you had the skills to make the rifle shoot again, you should have restored it back to The Original Condition, No Matter what the cost.
    But If it was restored to the Original Condition, then There is NO history, and No Value, no Matching part numbers.
    It is then a part gun that is worth $100.
    But as a Sporter, it ended up making a good inexpensive First Rifle for a mans oldest son, and probably got passed down to the other sons.
    The History was Ruined when someone accidently ran it over with a truck.
    But now the rifle at least has a chance to make a new Memories, and once again, be used as a Tool that is Functional.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rifles I am Selling 002.jpg  
    Last edited by LAGS; 04-20-2019 at 06:51 AM.

I don't understand why some people get so nasty when it comes to these things. His gun, he can do what he wants. Why he would modify a rare and valuable 41 Johnson is anybody's guess. I don't like it either but I certainly wouldn't send the guy death threats. Some people are wound way too tight.
    I've seen people freak over a modified Mosin even though there were like 20,000,000 made.

I bet Melvin might have liked this treatment of his brain child.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Well the paint job is hideous no matter what weapon it is on.... but the thing is rechambered so it’s not like it has any collectors value anyhow. I am sure there are at least 4 other people in the world who may buy it!!!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Its not my cup of tea . But if thats what the OWNER wanted to do then thats up to him. I make my guns suit me no one else. I have sporterized or bubba'd several of my guns . Had friends complain i shouldn't change them but pretty much every one that complained likes the finished result. I couldn't care less whether anybody likes it or not i do. Yes i would prefer the johnson in original form but thats me the gun was not mine. If you can't stand it the way the owner did it buy it and restore it anything can be put back with enough time and money.

Boolit Master
    Maybe it was junk to begin with, maybe the 'smith never owned a complete 1941 but had a pile of miscellaneous parts in the shop and some time to kill. I wonder... how does it shoot?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Sorry guys , but if I buy it - it's mine . I'll make it work for me like I want .

I'm not a collector .

Boolit Master
    well, I kinda like it. Sure cannot complain about caliber. I like model t's original but favor those with v-8 in them. So its a win from me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Amen, LAGS!
    I can’t see how the barrel can recoil to function the gun now. The Johnsons are recoil operated. If I wanted it- I don’t- I would just offer to repay the labor spent to build it. For 5 grand I could have a new Browning auto in .338WM and three nice Garands.

Boolit Master
    That Johnson way have been covered with rust in some closet, duracoat will cover the rust pitting better than the original finish. I know people laugh at my frankenstein. But I was given the 1911 frame, heavily pitted with rust, $0 value. I was going to maybe modify it to make some sort of single shot. Instead I did like a car, filled in the pits, and duracoated it. It goes bang with a new slide and everything else. But can hear people screaming now, you ruined that classic pistol. No I saved it from the trash heap.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I also Amen to what LAGS said.... I have so many pieced together but functional guns put together with parts, it ain’t funny. In fact, I love to take a rusted Junker and make something out of it. I call it resurrection gunsmithing.. and I dont particularly care how cruddy of a gun it was originally. If I can make a working tool, who knows what lengths I might go.. it’s the journey...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

In Remembrance

As much of a fan of the .338/06 cartridge as I am, this nightmare of a fine rifle and this excellent cartridge has given me a sour taste in my mouth. I found it humorous that he wanted a start bid of $5K, I wouldn`t give him .05 cents.Robert

Banned

It's what the customer wants. Yep the internet has unlocked untold and never explored reaches of the Firearms owners brain.

Imagination & science fiction hold no bounds now.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GunGuy2756 View Post
    I don't understand why some people get so nasty when it comes to these things.
    I think its the 'arm chair quarterback' syndrome.

People are most critical of things they think they are experts on, but really know very little about.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Well, I like the paint job. If I was in a pawn shop and they were selling it for 250.00 and a disgusted look, I'd buy it. It would be interesting to know the story behind it.

Lags, thanks for sharing. That looks pretty darn nice. It's a story and history, that's what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Well, I like the paint job.
    Well there ya go!

Banned
    That is the coolest rifle I have ever seen. Thanks for posting. I am thinking about buying it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast