MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Range report for Buck Mark

Boolit Master

Range report for Buck Mark

Went with some Agulia match ammo and cheap Federal bulk. The agulia will not cycle the slide (darn) the cheap stuff never missed a beat and not to bad accuracy, go figure. fired about 200 rounds so it is a start to break in.
    Frank G.

Super Moderator

I love that Aguila 22 Pistol Match ammo. It shoots great in two of my guns, a Marvel 1911 conversion, and in my OM Single six. Maybe once it gets broken in, try it again. It is STD Velocity, so your stock spring may be set up for HV. My Marvel conversion came with 2 sets of springs, one for STD and one for HV. Hopefully someone will chime in and educate us about Buckmark springs. CCI SV also shoots very well in both guns.

Buckmark failure to cyle

I just acquired a Buckmark at gun show and encountered the same problem. Wouldn't cycle aguila std velocity nor WW super speed. Serial umber indicated it was made in 1992. Called Browning service dept. (1-800-322-4626X2) and was told how to print out a return for service order. We'll see, it should be able to cycle any reasonable ammo. Manually retracting the slide from uncocked condition was VERY difficult. I tried replacing the hammer spring with a lighter spring and got mis-fires.

Boolit Master
    I had that problem with a 4 inch model, but the 5.5 inch model worked right.

Have you done the Buckmark trigger spring flip? If not, Google Heggis Flip. Does a nice job of lowering the trigger pull weight at no cost, and is reversible if you’re not happy.

Plenty of YouTube videos to guide you through it.

Boolit Master
    Most Buckmarks that won't cycle reliably when the chamber is dirty. I owned three of these guns all circa 1988-1995 (Silhouette models) and they'd cycle anything...I mean anything. I used these guns in silhouette for around ten years and later on cut the barrels down to six inches and used them in three gun shoots (Team Challenge matches). I had somewhere around 300,000 rounds fired out of them during the time I owned and used them (mostly just two of them, the third was a backup). When the chamber got "waxy/dirty" they'd stumble. I kept an RCBS brush with handle in my shooting bag and I bent the brush 90 degrees. Before going to the line to shoot I'd scrub the chamber out and it never missed a beat doing this. I'd advise not doing the Haggis flip on your gun. You run the chance of having problems doing this, and it's simply not necessary. I shot all three of my guns just as them came from the factory. All three of them would shoot five shots inside an inch at 50 yards with good ammo that the gun liked. My Buckmarks would outshoot my Anschutz Exemplar and that gun was no slouch. At the Region 1 shoot back in 1990 (maybe 91, memory fogs with age) I shot a 9x10 shoot off chickens at 100 yards with a Buckmark and they were using NRA rifle chickens, not handgun chickens as shoot off targets. This is with a ten inch factory stock gun and open sights. Those targets were just about 1moa in total area. I'd suggest you clean your gun's chamber, tighten up the top screw if it has a rail, and lube the rail lightly. Unless some Bubba gunsmith worked on your gun it should cycle with any std. vel ammo. You've got nothing to lose by cleaning it and trying again. FWIW, they would start acting up after several hundred rounds fired and/or if the temp got into the mid fifties or below. The lube gets hard on the ammo at lower temps and with the tight chamber it will fail to feed more often.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have one that got bought for me back in around 1991. I haven’t shot it since the mid 90s and took it out last year to find out my action was literally glued shut. I took it apart to clean it and the plastic buffer fell apart in my hands. A new buffer, cleaned, lubed up, and she cycles as smooth as glass. I did the trigger spring flip while I had it apart. Forgot all about that till it was mentioned here. I put a red dot on it right away back in the early 90s and I could hit bowling ball pins freehand one after another with it at 100 yards. I need to get out and get some trigger time with that thing again. After I cleaned it up last year I threw an ultra dot match dot on it. I sighted in at 25 yards dead center and we’re shooting five shot groups all in one little cluster off the bench. I’ve been free handed in hit for shell casings in a row at 25 yards put it away and haven’t looked at it since. Maybe I’ll take it out squirrel hunting this week and see if I remember how to aim with it and hold it still since last year.