Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drill sgt advice

Boolit Master

drill sgt advice

my nephew has been a crew chief on the ospreys pretty much from the time he got out of boot camp, reuped so he could keep flying and he loves the aviation end of it and hoped to be a full fledged pilot, he has logged lots of hours at the controls and was as happy as anyone could expect a marine to be.

now all of a sudden his commander/ptb's are telling him he is going to san diago and will be a drill instructor and he hates the idea. we have tried telling him its an honor and the not being deployed for 3/4 of the year will make his new wife a lot happier.

anybody have an insite as to why the marines would change a career path so abruptly or any thing to tell him to make this bitter pill something he can take.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned

Send Love Life a PM
    I expect he can provide some perspective.

For the good of the Corps. No other reason needed.
    He will likely end up enjoying his tour, and get promoted to boot.

Boolit Master
    You are billeted at the governments discretion.

They're not changing his career path.
    Its just a duty assignment for a job that has to be done.
    Upon completing it, he'll probably return to the Fleet and be back on Ospreys.

If you stay in the Corps very long, you'll most likely do a tour on the drill field, Embassy Duty, or Recruiting duty.

And,, a good tour on them looks great when your record book is on the table in front of a promotion board at HQMC.

I did 7 1/2 years, got out wearing SSGT chevrons, and if I'd stayed in,
    there was about a 99% chance my next duty assignment was going to be the Drill Field on Parris Island.
    Do that for a couple years, then go back to turning wrenches on helicopters in the Fleet.
    At that point in history........It was just my turn so to speak.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-19-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    US Marines can be either "directed" to go to DI school & DI duty, or they can "request" to go in front of a "board" to be reviewed for being "selected" for such duty.
    When I went to DI school it was on "directed" orders. Meaning that I was "directed" to go ( like said, "to fill a billet", at "the discretion of the Corps"), rather than going to the selection "board" for those who "requested" to go to the school.
    On occasion, someone in the chain of command, usually an officer, will suggest a potential "candidate" for DI school & that suggestion is sent to USMC Manpower Management at HQMC in Virginia. Once the suggestion has been made, there the particular Marines records are reviewed for "time in service", past duty stations or FMF tours, schools attended like NCO Leadership School, etc. & his standing in the school classes, "Fitness Report" scores that are how NCOs are "scored" on their being a Marine & job performance, and other such things. Basically the Marine & past record, etc., is "reviewed" by a "board" where the Marine is not present, instead of the board where the Marine who "requested the duty" is present.

Either way, when a Marine is selected, they are usually a "squared away" Marine who is doing outstanding in their MOS( MOS is the acronym for Mil. Occupation Specialty. It means the "job", or "billet he/she is trained to perform.), and it will not be a burden to the unit to which the Marine is currently attached if that Marine was "transferred" elsewhere, like to DI school & duty or some TAD(Temp. Attached Duty) type duty elsewhere. Different being that "TAD" means the Marine is going to return to his unit when the duty is over, while being "transferred" means the Marine may, or may not return to that same unit or duty station.

Like it or not though, your Marine nephew was probably "referred", like I was. ( I was in the same situation with being a crewchief & mechanic on CH-46 helicopters when I got my orders & I loved my job & it ticked me off that the Corps was gonna send me away from that duty to do something I had not planned to do until later in my career. There is a "story" involved in that, but the crux of it was, I "followed orders", went to Parris Island DI School class of 03/84, graduated & went to duty with 3RTBN, I.Co. for my duty as a D.I.)

So, I did what I was ordered to do by some Maj. General at HQMC, and as ordered went to the school & did my tour of duty, which is just what every Marine should do, including your Marine nephew. Once his tour of duty is done, and if his reenlistment is up, he can decide to "ship over" & re enlist for his crew chief/mech. duty, or he can leave the Corps & go on to his goal of being a pilot, or whatever "suits his fancy".

Like it or not again, it is really not his choice right now, & that means, " Tough **** Marine! Do as you were ordered!".

He will do well I would reckon, as your "average joe" Marine does not usually pass the muster at either of the selection board processes. There is a "high bar" to cross over, to get orders to DI school & DI duty. Or, at least there was, back when I was in. Not just anyone got those orders.

Tell him he needs to, "Do or die, suck it up, & take the hill!" just like any Marine would do. With that coming from another Marine from an earlier time, who "did his DI duty as ordered, and was not happy about it at the time.", and did it to the best of his ability, for "the good of the Corps."..

I wish both of ya, G'Luck!.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-19-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^What he said^^^^

Due to family reasons I was unable to got to either DI or Recruiter or a "B" billet, it was not detrimental to my career and I was able to retire at 20. However that was many years ago. I am still associated with the Marine Corps and in todays environment a check in the box for a successful "B" billet is almost necessary for retention and promotions.

For some it is a definite benefit and they come out better on the other end for having performed a duty outside of just the part they like.. the downside that both DI and Recruiting duties are demanding on time and the family during that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    You are billeted at the governments discretion.
    That is what happened when you raise your hand and sign the paper. it was done to me in the navy .Go to school for one thing and when out in the fleet do something else where you are needed the most.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I can't say as i never served but i will say god bless him for his service and best wishes on his career.

Boolit Master

Great story JBinMN, and thank you for your service. I served in the Navy 1965~~1969 and took advantage of (2) schools then completed my "tour" on Guam as an E-5. While there I became friends with a Marine that way shot up during his second "tour" in Vietnam. He recovered nicely and was sent to PI to be a DI. I imagine the recruits he managed did really well, he was a tough as nails 4 - 0 squared away Marine.

Boolit Master
    your nephew needs to embrace his new assignment. It will be demanding, and provide him with new opportunities. He may not recognize them now, but it will. The bottom line is that he is going to do it, and the assignment will be more rewarding if he just puts his mind in the right prospective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    I’m currently a Chief Drill Drill Instructor (used be known as Series GySgt).

As a new DI, don’t expect to have him home much. The training day is from 0400-2000. Long hours, physically demanding, and mentally demanding. I’ll be honestly, it’s a miserable duty, and if he already hates the idea of it then he’ll hate the duty.

He’s got 2 choices. Execute the duty or take a RE-3O and get out.

The Marine Corps assigns Marines to special duties a couple times a year to fill the billets. He will retain his MOS, but will be doing a 0911 job for 3 year.

When he hits DI school, and if he passes, tell him to be humble and learn all he can. It’s a rewarding duty but very demanding in the Marine and hard on the family.

Boolit Buddy

The DI is the backbone of the Corps.

If we have *** bags of **** DI's, we get *** Marines. My DI's were hard as F...and I loved them for it, its what I WANTED and expected when I signed up.

Your son sounds like he is a kick-*** Marine. If it was me, I'd pine for PI duty if there was a choice between that and CA.

The Drill field is best for the SINGLE Marine i'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    . ( I was in the same situation with being a crewchief & mechanic on CH-46 helicopters

You were a Phrog Pfixer?

I spent '76 & into '77 as NCOIC of the Flt. Equip. Shop for HMM-164 at MCAS Futema before going on to
    'ply my trade for HMX-1 at Quantico till Dec '80.

We probably know a handful of the same guys.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-19-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The Marine Corps wouldn't want him to be drill sergeant if he was not the best for the job.
    A great honor to make Marines, than just be one!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

thanks for the replies, will pass on the advice to him. he will do fine as a DI and breezed thru basic, its just that he really loves the aviation aspect and did not see this comming. my sister says he takes the job of keeping his guys safe to the extreme and it does wear him down.

Boolit Master
    He has expressed the desire to be a pilot. Do you think the powers that be are going to make somebody a warrant officer (I assume this is the promotion that comes with being a pilot) if he balks at the responsibility of turning recruits into Marines let alone flying one of their multi-million dollar aircraft? I'm sure they have plenty of folks that would jump at the chance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    thanks for the replies, will pass on the advice to him. he will do fine as a DI and breezed thru basic, its just that he really loves the aviation aspect and did not see this comming. my sister says he takes the job of keeping his guys safe to the extreme and it does wear him down.
    That's the job no matter the branch. Some can handle it and some ......

Boolit Master

Others have said it but to add my .02. While not absolutely necessary, a successful tour in a ‘B’ billet will benefit his career. Being a “hat” was the highlight of mine but like LoveLife said, it was incredibly hard duty...long hours and more time away from my family than being deployed. It WILL make him a better Marine SNCO and, a successful tour, will give him a leg up on further promotion, whether it be in the enlisted ranks or applying for one of the officer programs. Advise him to suck it up, embrace it, and give it his all!
    Semper Fi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

he is not balking at anything, he will do as instructed, his gripping is only to his mother and mostly its that he was as far as I can tell, blind sided with this. guess the being home with his new wife is out the window from what you former DI's say.

if anybody is interested, his osprey group is assigned to support air force one when ever its over seas, we never know where he is, only where he was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast