WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Revolvers Introduced

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m wondering if new vaquero grips fit? I have a couple of cherrywood sets. I was going to buy a heritage with my Christmas cash but might lean toward the Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’m wondering if new vaquero grips fit? I have a couple of cherrywood sets. I was going to buy a heritage with my Christmas cash but might lean toward the Ruger.
    Get the Ruger! Old Vaquero grips will fit, probably not the New Vaquero ones, though. Aren't they smaller? I'm thinking of another Wrangler since I have gift cards, too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

+1 on the Ruger. In my experience, it's a far, far better gun that the Heritage.

Boolit Master

Yes I bought a heritage in late 90's it was able to fire , was not that accurate , and once in awhile the funky safety would mess up , yes I have owned and shot 4 ruger single six revolvers , all but one came with both cylinders , magnum shot good , long rifle no matter what ammo shot to page of paper , so in buying some uberti six guns I looked at the wrangler and threw it in at the time.

Shot it the other day , heavy hammer heavy loading gate , but it shot to point of aim and a better group then the single six I currently own

Am getting a few more now for the kids to shoot , I can live with the stiff loading gate , and the heavy hammer , I do like the free spinning cylinder and fixed sight for it are fine , will put more shots through it next month when time permits , Ruger did good with this and price is right.

I found a few in bronze and black in stock for $189.00. The shop I found them in said their sales halted on them for the last couple of months and they’ve have have several of the two colors in stock collecting dust for for a while. I missed a $20 coupon that expired on the 26 th but they just sent me a $10 coupon for my birthday and I also have $25 credit there which will get me down to $155 plus tax. The heritage 4 3/4” they also have there with credit and coupon would be $115. I’m leaning towards the black wrangler so it’s all one color and has an authentic look. I have to say I do like the more authentic looks of the heritage but not the “safety” lever. The two tone wranglers remind me of the crossman six shooter pellet pistols. The two two colors look more like toys imo. Maybe the bronze will rub off on me when I get there some time this week. After all the bad reviews I’ve heard about the heritage I will end up going with a Ruger. The sales associate said he shot both of them over Christmas break and he preferred the Ruger. He said he just felt better in his hand. I without a doubt know the Ruger is going to be more accurate and I can do a poor man’s trigger job on it in a matter of seconds. Even though I’ve had several problems with several Rugers in the past I know they will stand behind it if something ever happens to it and has a lifetime warranty versus a one-year warranty with the heritage(Taurus). The only thing is I really wanted to shoot 22 mags out of it. I guess I just have to use stingers for trap line use. I popped a raccoon in the head with Winchester 333’s out of my buckmark last year three times and still had to wait a minute for it to expire. I’d really like an all black with a bronze trigger guard! I saw an article that someone bought all three and swapped colored parts out on them to multicolor them. Maybe I can find someone to swap out my black trigger guard for the bronze. I looked and researched and it sounds like the new vaquero grips are the exact same fit. I have two pairs of rosewood ones laying around so I’ll throw a pair of those on it. I read earlier in this post that the 22 mag single six cylinder fits in this pistol but wouldn’t want to hurt it over time and The cost of the cylinder is ridiculous versus a heritage.... It cost more for the single six 22 WMR cylinder than it does for a whole heritage pistol with both cylinders.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-29-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Regarding the Heritage one-year warranty; it's really not even much of a warranty. Anything goes wrong after you lay your money down, even an obvious factory defect, and it's on you to return it. They'll fix it for you, but you'll have to shell out $50 for shipping to get it to them. Ruger will send you a shipping label and UPS will pick it up at your house. This alone makes a big difference, to me.

I bought a Rough Rider a couple years ago, and was pretty happy with it at first. The timing was funky and sometimes rounds would tumble, but it was actually pretty accurate otherwise. After a few months and a couple hundred rounds, the barrel came loose on it's own. I paid the money to return it and they did put a new barrel on, but it came back with the cylinder face riding on the face of the barrel. The cylinder bearing surface wasn't even touching the frame. I had some shims for S&W revolvers so I installed one on it and it works fine, but I was shocked that they let it leave the factory that way. After I did that, it shoots great with no tumbling, and is surprisingly accurate. With good ammo, 2" groups at 25 yards are doable. I've lost confidence in it though, and don't shoot it much at all. How long will it hold up before falling apart again?

Attachment 253875

I’d like to see somebody strip all the cericoat off one and polish it! I bet they’ll be some limited runs soon in that old weathered Cericoat finish.

The finish is wearing off of my black one from the holster and bouncing around in the Mule. I was caught in a thunderstorm the other day. My Wrangler was soaking wet. I’d have been upset if I was carrying any of my other revolvers. 3B, let us know if those grips fit please.

Will do. Our holiday hunt ends tomorrow so maybe Thursday or Friday I’ll go down and get one. It snowed last night and I was up plowing from midnight till 6 AM and I just got up. It’s about 22°, snow on the ground, and the wind is blowing 15 miles miles an hour. I have today and tomorrow to pull out a cast boolit anterless deer yet so I figured I would probably go walk around in an hour and slowly Stalk in my woods to see if I can see deer bedded on the ridge I can take a pop shot at. I’m guessing there will be no deer moving today unless I step on them. I’m pretty much made up I’m going to get a black one.

I’ll be waiting a little bit longer. I went down to Cabela’s today to get the black one. It was the only one they had and it’s been there for a few months they told me it had cericoat already missing and chipped off of it on the frame. I realize it’s a cheap pistol to begin with but I would like to at least chip and ware my own coating off in time. They said they’re gonna try and get another one in and call me when they do they have a few located in some other stores. I asked them to inspect it when they get it in so I don’t have to drive a couple hours there and back to find out it was another floor model. I like it though it’s a pretty nice little pistol. I just wanted to use my $10 off birthday points and 25 bucks in points towards it instead of buying it in town so I guess I’ll wait till they get another one in. They get out of 4 3/4” heritage with both cylinders I looked at. The guy behind the counter that work there even told me I’d be stupid if I bought it. He told me the exact same thing that I’ve been reading on the Internet that the barrels have been falling off and coming loose and it cost $50 to mail it in for repair and it only had a one-year warranty and they were nothing but trouble. He said it’s a good pistol to sell if he wanted customers to come back and yell at him. That’s too bad I really like the looks and feel of the heritage but I’m sure never going to buy one after all the readings, his testimony, and my buddy who is a gunsmith who just had three of them that were purchased brand new and brought in to him. He said they were all shooting a foot high and left at 10 yards. The kid behind the counter at Cabelas said he has seen several times that the frames crack very quickly when using the 22 mag cylinders. Guess that’s why Ruger is not selling 22 mag cylinders for it. Suppose it’s just like putting nitrous in a motor and eventually it’s going to come apart.

I think eventually once I get one in the Cericoating comes off after my own use i’ll strip it all down and polish it. I’ll give it a shiny nickel look.

Yeah I was pretty bumbed, made a two hour trip for nothing today. I guess I should’ve called and asked them if they only had more than one in stock and to make sure it wasn’t a floor model. I’ve had a couple of guns I’ve ordered in the past that I’ve got there they got shipped in from other stores and they’ve looked worse than that pistol did. They were both floor models of course. Cabela’s said they give me a discount on it but I would rather pay full price since they are already cheap and have a nice looking pistol to begin with...And I wasn’t gonna turn around and send it in a Ruger instantly to get touched up since I’ve already had issues with finishes on several of my Ruger guns in the past come back in worse shape than one they got sent cosmetically. I’m still dealing with one that’s going back for the second time. I love my Ruger’s but I wanna make sure that they don’t need to be sent in right off the bat or ever for that matter. Cherry picking one right at the counter will illuminate all the frustrations imo. The kid at Cabela’s told me they take that one in and out of the safe every night and they get pretty beat up. It was true because I looked at a couple other brands and models that they had out there and they were big chunks and chips out of the wood grips on other manufacturers pistols they had in the case. They had a bronze one on display that of course was perfect and they had another bronze one in back that wasn’t open but I just didn’t care for that color. It reminded me of my cheap crossman BB pistol. I wonder if Ruger is going to warrantee the ceracoating when it comes off or if it’s going to be considered a wear and tear item like brakes in a car?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Bud's has the bronze & black models now for $182.00 with free delivery.

I was in Academy today and they were sold out. The clerk suggested a Heritage. I politely said no.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Bud's has the bronze & black models now for $182.00 with free delivery.
    I’m going to hold out for Cabela’s since I have $35 saved in points and coupons which will get me down to $155 bucks.

I saw an EAA polished nickel revolver with both cylinders for $291 on the net that really looks sharp so while I’m waiting for my Ruger to come in I’m gonna have to do some research on those.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/eaa-boun...ombo-8rnd.html

Anyone ever hear of them?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Wow ! .... all this is taking me back .
    Back in the 70s I was working at a ranch south of Lund , Nevada , doing my cowboy thing in those days.
    The foreman sold me his Ruger pistol , single six and it has been with me ever since .
    Was always on my side when riding in the back country , learned to shoot from the hip with that toy and got pretty accurate with it too.
    Older three screw , did not send it in to Ruger for their safety mod , has dings and scratch here and there but darn dependable .
    Just used it not to long ago to introduce a lady to shooting for the first time .
    Great pistol , she enjoyed it much.
    Chased down the serial # on the Ruger site ... put together in 1957.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Loading Gate Project

Quite a few have commented about how rough the loading gate is to open. I thought I'd share my attempts at curing the problem'

Disassembly is same as the center fires with 2 exceptions:
    1. After capturing the hammer spring I was unable to remove it until The grip frame was loosened.
    2. It has a part (Pawl Guide) that is not a part of the center fires (see photo #7)

I was impressed with the interior parts. Even the "as cast" parts looked good (better than the new condition of my 4 SA center fire Rugers).

I installed the loading gate, trigger pin & gate detent spring into the stripped frame & the gate operates smoothly as is. This is confusing.

Photos"
    1. Inside view of loading gate & gate detent spring end.
    2. Loading gate @ contact point with gate detent spring. Some minor polishing here may help.
    3. Loading gate bearing surface to frame. The only rough place shows in photo (probably the casting fill point. Polishing here looks to help more than #2.
    4. Gate detent spring point of contact with gate. Needs a little work here.
    5. Gate detent spring side point of contact with gate. minor polish will do here.
    6. Brownells gate detent spring clamp: worth every cent I paid for it.
    7. "Pawl Guide" the mystery part. I assume allows the cylinder spin w/o opening gate (but what do I know).

I'll report further as I have more "Wrangler" time.

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG   MVC-004F.JPG   MVC-005F.JPG   MVC-006F.JPG   MVC-008F.JPG  

MVC-007F.JPG   MVC-009F.JPG  

oldhenry- thanks for showing us the innards; saving it.
    I put the factory Blackhawk grips on the Wrangler- the silver medallions set it off nicely. I lined up a Wrangler grip with a walnut Blackhawk grip to show folks the height difference. It'll bother some, some it won't. I shoot mine every chance I get. Bravo Ruger again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I finally picked mine up yesterday and haven’t had a chance to take it out of the box. After I cut up some deer meat this afternoon I’ll mess with it and throw those new vaquero rosewood grips on it and post a picture. I ended up getting the all black one Cabela’s still has a couple of the bronze ones too but they reminded me too much of the old cheap looking crossman 357 BB gun I bought my dad years ago. I just can’t get used to that black cylinder with a bronze or silver finish it just looks too much like a BB gun to me. The black at least gives off more the original colt 45 look in my opinion.... and for maybe 10 or 15 feet away it just looks like a normal old cowboy gun versus one that’s going to stick out with different colors on it that looks like a squirt gun or a toy. I’m sure someday they’ll probably do a limited addition run with that Cericoat that looks like a worn bluing/warn gun finish. Maybe after my Cericoat coat starts wearing off I’ll send it in and get it done. I wouldn’t mind getting the trigger guard done in a brass or bronze color either.

I’m sure someone will come up with a fox Parkerized Cericoat as well.

I stuck with the black one and figured I’d put wood grips on it because it reminds me of my first pistol! Do you guys ever remember the Daisy 179’s??? Remember I got my tonsils out in the early 70s and my dad brought that in for me as a recovery present... I think it was more for himself.lol all I remember is when we got home he took me out in the backyard and never walked me through hunter safety because I was all of seven years old yet. I threw a canna up in the air and it came down and shot at it, messed, and hit him in the ankle. Needless to say he took it away and said he broke it in half. I found it a month later up on top of the refrigerator. I finally wore that thing out in the mid 90s and it got tossed out. Eventually I’m gonna have to get another one for keepsake and hanging on the wall... But until then I have my Ruger wrangler.

Hopefully my new vaquero grips fit on it. I’m getting pretty excited! I’ll also pop off one side of a hammer spring when I’ve got my grips off. The Sportsmens guide had free shipping the other day so I ordered two boxes of CCI high shock segmented 22 LR ammo to try I don’t think they’ll be in stock until the first week of February though. At least I’ll blow stuff up when I shoot them.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-15-2020 at 10:54 AM.

The new vaquero grips don’t fit! Not even close. I’ll have to see if I can pawn them off or trade for the same pretty wood that will fit my wrangler.

I like it! It does have some dimples underneath the black cericoating but what do you expect for a price leader. Well I took the grips off to try my least took one side of the hammer spring off. It still has some travel and it breaks really light now I bet you it’s got to be about 2 pounds.

I’ll put these on our for sale or trade section
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-16-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Well I guess we’ll have to wait till the 24th when my grips are going to be here from Midway USA then I’ll post a picture.lol I sold my grips above to SSG A few minutes ago and ordered up the right ones for it to look exactly like it according to the photo. Can’t wait, can’t wait!! I’m gonna have to find some empty casings in the meanwhile or pull bullets and drain powder so I got some empty shell casings in my cylinder to dry fire to see how light that trigger really is now. I saw on a YouTube video that someone was dry firing there wrangler and even though it says it’s OK to do it in the Ruger instruction manual and it was dinging the edge of the cylinders and causing casings not the slide smoothly in the cylinders.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-16-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    HINT OF THE DAY

Yellow sheetrock anchors make the best snap caps for a 22lr. Just rotate them and replace when they become too battered.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast