RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Revolvers Introduced

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I got mine out for the first time today too. Shot CCI Minimags. Fired from a sand bag at 25 yards. Group sizes were right around 1 1/2 inch for 6 rounds. Mine shot about 1 1/2 inch low. Probably would have shot better groups IF I could see the sights! Darn bifocals!
    Yeah, my sites are blurry from Lasik. My dominant eye is set to see a country mile it is blurry up front and my other eye is the opposite so I can up close. Everything works great until I want to use open sights. Guess it’s better than not be able to see without my glasses. I’ll have to try mine off of a rest next time I see how tight it shoots.

Boolit Master
    Mine went to the range for the first time today also, 2" or so, ammo, old man, probably need/ready for a step up in bottom of progressives, D all of the above. I was shooting low left also but consistent through a hundred rounds. One thing I did start to notice which I did not pick up on at house. After a few cylinders I started noticing "THE RING" wearing in on cylinder between locking cuts. I was very careful when loading and was lining up feed cut leading into lock cut before gate closure. Close gate, small roll of cylinder, click, cock, fire, never a function issue of any sort. I have spent a lot of time setting up bolts in cap and balls to drop into feed ramp cut timing correctly. Mine starts retracting on first hint of hammer pull and clears before rotation, then drops bolt about 3/16" rotation past prior lock cut and drags all the way into next lock. A hundred rounds and I have the shiny line cutting in around cylinder. Maybe someone could take a peek at theirs and see what theirs is doing please. I know it is a cheap gun but if this is the designed timing I might be a little bit disappointed with Ruger's new offering.
    Last edited by Gtek; 02-03-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I got mine out for the first time today too. Shot CCI Minimags. Fired from a sand bag at 25 yards. Group sizes were right around 1 1/2 inch for 6 rounds. Mine shot about 1 1/2 inch low. Probably would have shot better groups IF I could see the sights! Darn bifocals!
    "Shooting low" First run out of the box my Wrangler shot about 3 inches low. Then I did the poor man's trigger job and then it shot to point of aim. With the stock Ruger trigger pull I think I was pulling low owing to the standard issue heavy Ruger trigger.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I did the "Poor mans trigger job" before I went shooting. Didn't help. It still shot low. I can shorten the front sight if I need to, but I'm going to try other brands of ammo first.

Boolit Master
    I really wish I had my two hundred dollars back at this point, maybe I just stepped in some bad luck and ended up with a pooch. I am going to call them Monday and see what they say.

Boolit Master

After a few cylinders I started noticing "THE RING" wearing in on cylinder between locking cuts. I was very careful when loading and was lining up feed cut leading into lock cut before gate closure. Close gate, small roll of cylinder, click, cock, fire, never a function issue of any sort. I have spent a lot of time setting up bolts in cap and balls to drop into feed ramp cut timing correctly. Mine starts retracting on first hint of hammer pull and clears before rotation, then drops bolt about 3/16" rotation past prior lock cut and drags all the way into next lock. A hundred rounds and I have the shiny line cutting in around cylinder. Maybe someone could take a peek at theirs and see what theirs is doing please. I know it is a cheap gun but if this is the designed timing I might be a little bit disappointed with Ruger's new offering.
    Both of mine do the exact same thing. To be honest I thought it was normal, but as I look closely at my other single-actions I see that they don't do that. This is just me, but honestly it really doesn't bother me in the slightest, seems like a minor cosmetic issue on an inexpensive gun. As long as it holds up mechanically and shoots accurately, I'm happy.

Boolit Master
    I was at a local shop couple days ago. A younger guy was just leaving, having sent a wrangler back to Ruger. When they told me what was up,, guy was obviously pissy. I was amazed, It was hanging when cocking, the cylinder pin was not seated! I took the pin out wiped it off, checked that the plunger was working and not gritty. Everything was fine, put it back together and could not make it fail. Only thing I can figure is, well I won’t say it. This was the first time I handled one of these, I am impressed, very well put together for 200$ revolver! Head and shoulders above any heritage I ever saw! I am not into cheap guns, inexpensive used guns yess, but heritage and hi point are just not on my menu. This thing is well made, if I did not have a Bearcat and Single Six, I would be in on this! Painted frame and all!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I was at a local shop couple days ago. A younger guy was just leaving, having sent a wrangler back to Ruger. When they told me what was up,, guy was obviously pissy. I was amazed, It was hanging when cocking, the cylinder pin was not seated! I took the pin out wiped it off, checked that the plunger was working and not gritty. Everything was fine, put it back together and could not make it fail. Only thing I can figure is, well I won’t say it. This was the first time I handled one of these, I am impressed, very well put together for 200$ revolver! Head and shoulders above any heritage I ever saw! I am not into cheap guns, inexpensive used guns yess, but heritage and hi point are just not on my menu. This thing is well made, if I did not have a Bearcat and Single Six, I would be in on this! Painted frame and all!
    Funny I had the exact same impression , a great gun for the money , and the exact same reason for not getting one.

Mine is developing a slight line around the cylinder reminiscent of every revolver I've ever owned and shot a lot. Ruger, Colt, S&W, etc. Not an issue for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Weather briefly improved enough to do a more formal ammo test - still quite dark and overcast, but quite above freezing and actually up to 60 degrees. 15 yards, off an MTM pistol rest. Wrangler with poor man's trigger job = 2.5 pounds rather than standard issue 5 pound trigger. Ammo tried: CCI Minimag 40 gr RN (CCM), Remington Golden Bullets 40 gr. RN (GR), Winchester Super X 40 gr. RN (WX), Winchester Bulk pack 36 gr. RN (WB), and finally the best in my opinion for the Wrangler - CCI Standard Velocity Target 40 gr. RN (CCT).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wrangler ammo test.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	256450

Boolit Master
    That target flipped was mine and as stated not one function issue. Just a little disappointed in fitment of and with the sloppy dimensions. I know Ruger just became involved in the single action scene recently, hopefully they will work it out.

I brought another Wrangler today at a price of $189.00 + taxes total 201.89.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I know Ruger just became involved in the single action scene recently, hopefully they will work it out.
    What you talkn bout Willis!?

Boolit Master
    Oops, sorry, sarcasm print was supposed to be colored purple.

Boolit Master
    I scanned the target for my notebook for future reference. Thought I'd post it here too. If you look carefully and can decode my hieroglyphics, you can see which ammo did fairly well and which did not. I wanted all ammo on the same page so I did not have to keep flipping back and forth in my notebook. Next target will probably be just CCI Standard velocity target ammo. Most of it hit to point of aim with windage variation. Prior to this I was thinking I would trade it off but now with the CCI target ammo I think I will keep it for a spell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Oops, sorry, sarcasm print was supposed to be colored purple.
    Yep, I've not given my opinion, cause my Momma told me, -- --- ---- --- ------- ---- -- ---, ---- --- -------!

Boolit Master
    Double post??

Quote Originally Posted by modified5 View Post
    I keep thinking that I need one of these, then I think, well, I have a colt frontier in the safe that needs to get out.
    Then I figure, another .22 revolver in the stables wouldn't be a bad thing, plus I have a $200 gift card that a friend sent for my birthday so it's a free gun.
    The struggle is real!
    My nephew came over after buying one locally for under $200 with tax. His main decision was for his 9 year old boy being able to shoot it. I grabbed some super colibri ammo and we went to my rural sub-division shooting range in my backyard. I also brought along a 1957 single six Ruger ( heaviest of all), colt scout 62” (zinc alloy frame) colt peacemaker (steel frame, alloy grip frame). I knew my guns were sighted in, and so was the newest Ruger. We were hitting empty soup cans at about 12 yards.
    I think Ruger got it right buy using an alloy frame and of course grip frame. A 22 single action doesn’t need to be heavy. With its price point, this gun is going to sell.

Boolit Master
    BTW, and I just noticed this on Sunday: I was hunting around in my storage bin for a holster that would fit the Wrangler, and spotted an old Uncle Mike's sidekick holster #7. I think I bought it several years ago for my 4 1/2 inch Ruger BH 44 Special. Anyhow it fit like a glove. Like it was made for it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm still waiting for a black one to show up. Just not interested in silver or bronze, of course those are quite easy to find.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast