WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Revolvers Introduced

Boolit Master
    Local shop had one in black - price $190 but with our voracious sales tax = $210. Trigger pull seemed to be around 5 pounds, but I did not have my gauge with me. Still thinking about it.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    I put 30oz wolff trigger spring in mine and trigger pull is under 2lbs !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    I put 30oz wolff trigger spring in mine and trigger pull is under 2lbs !
    Since the trigger issue is resolved - how does it shoot, and what does it like best?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Since the trigger issue is resolved - how does it shoot, and what does it like best?
    Didn't get a chance to get it to the range yet since spring change but it was shooting fine even with factory spring.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I took the grips off and performed a poor boy trigger job taking off one side of a hammer spring. I bet you it’s got to be less than 2 pounds... And you didn’t cost me anything other than three seconds of my time. Once I make a dummy round I’ll pull it with my scale and report.

I gave my Ruger vaquero a poor boy trigger job last year and I think the pull around is 2 lbs. 3 oz. if I remember right.

I tell you before you buy that Ruger wrangler that you pulled the trigger on at the shop to take the cylinder out and make sure it didn’t get pinged. I watched a YouTube video of some guy that was dry fireIng his and pinged all the outside edges of the cylinders so he was having trouble loading ammo and also had issues with sticky cases.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-16-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Best 22 cylinder protectors I've found are the yellow drywall hole expanders. Fit perfectly and that plastic will take three or four hits. I bought a box of either 50 or 100. Enough to last!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Well I am in the club now, black. Trigger breaking 4.6 lbs. out of box, somewhat disappointed with .011" cylinder/barrel. looking forward to range time hopefully this weekend.

Just take your grips off and remove one side of a hammer spring which takes all of three seconds to do it’ll bring your trigger down to about 2 pounds.

I did it to mine and it breaks nice and light. If you don’t like it all you have to do is put the spring back on which takes a couple of seconds to do and it puts it right back to the normal factory pull weight.

Here’s an article on it as well...

https://gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

The author of this actually tested the Ruger wranglers and shot several groups at 25 yards that were sub them away after doing so. He posted a YouTube review doing it.

This was a big reason I bought this pistol over the Roughrider besides being able to change out the grips with 50 million options. I’ve done this poor boy trigger job to my colt andaconda,Smith & Wesson night guard, and my Ruger new vaquero. They all break between 2.3 to 2.6 lbs now.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-18-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep thinking that I need one of these, then I think, well, I have a colt frontier in the safe that needs to get out.
    Then I figure, another .22 revolver in the stables wouldn't be a bad thing, plus I have a $200 gift card that a friend sent for my birthday so it's a free gun.
    The struggle is real!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Just take your grips off and remove one side of a hammer spring which takes all of three seconds to do it’ll bring your trigger down to about 2 pounds.

I did it to mine and it breaks nice and light. If you don’t like it all you have to do is put the spring back on which takes a couple of seconds to do and it puts it right back to the normal factory pull weight.

Here’s an article on it as well...

https://gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

The author of this actually tested the Ruger wranglers and shot several groups at 25 yards that were sub them away after doing so. He posted a YouTube review doing it.

This was a big reason I bought this pistol over the Roughrider besides being able to change out the grips with 50 million options. I’ve done this poor boy trigger job to my colt andaconda,Smith & Wesson night guard, and my Ruger new vaquero. They all break between 2.3 to 2.6 lbs now.

I just had a chance to test it with my scale. The trigger breaks between 40/41oz (I call it 2.5lbs) every time so basically 2 1/2 pounds now that I did the poor man trigger job. It Does have just a little bit of creep/travel before it goes off. If it bothers me someday and I have it apart I’ll polish the trigger to eliminate it and probably make it a little lighter yet in the process. I really don’t want to mess with it right now being brand new because my guess is without looking at the directions Im guessing I’ll probably have to knock the two cross pins out of the receiver and with my luck I’ll either scratch it or knock off some of the cericoat.

My new grips aren’t coming till the 23rd I’ll post a picture of it once they show up and installed.

Looks like Texas already popped off one side his springs. I didn’t go far back enough and read... But then again most cowboys couldn’t read back in the day anyways. So maybe my picture book post will do some good.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-18-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone checked the cylinder to barrel gap yet?

It wanted to wear elk to the barbecue
    They've been returned to the Blackhawk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Now those are grips! I need some pieces of elk or stag horns so I can make some grips.

Boolit Master

I had a RR that tumbled every round. Sent it back to the factory and they replaced the barrel. They sent it back with test targets showing 3 inch groups at 20 yards. That was the best I could get out of it myself. Adequate for defense against vicious tin cans, but nothing to brag about. Last weekend, I picked up a Wrangler at the Cabelas in Columbus, Ohio. Didn't have any at the store in Avon, Ohio. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. 20° snow and high wind this weekend. I like the feel of the new Ruger. Has a good heft to it and seems a lot more solid than the RR. I'll head to the range just as soon as the weather breaks. Looking forward to testing it with a couple brands of ammo. BTW, I got the black one, $189.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Has anyone checked the cylinder to barrel gap yet?
    I just checked both of mine: .007" on one, and .008" on the other.

Much better than my Rough Rider. Here's how I got it back from Heritage warranty repair, after they "fixed" it. I can't imagine how anyone who even dreams of calling them self a gunsmith would let this out of their shop. Ever seen negative cylinder gap?

Attachment 255103

Boolit Master
    Ouch, have you sent them that photo for your free return label? I can't think of any reasonable excuses for that one, I am sure beyond aggravating on your end. I find it extremely irritating in this new age of computerized, digitized everything no one can find a feeler gauge or dial indicator or at a minimum just look at it. Not real happy with my .011"!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Local shop had one in black - price $190 but with our voracious sales tax = $210. Trigger pull seemed to be around 5 pounds, but I did not have my gauge with me. Still thinking about it.
    Ok, I bit and got one in black for $190 plus rapacious local sales tax = total $209. Tested the trigger and figured it would be a standard Ruger trigger = and it was 4 1/2 pounds. Always get a spring kit after I get a Ruger anyhow - no big deal. But informally testing it with Rem. Golden Bullets - windage at 7 yards ok. But it shot 2 to 3 inches low at 7 yards. That worried me. I will of course test several brands of 22 ammo, but to be that low at 7 yards is worrisome. Not sure I want to file down the front sight that far. Also wonder if they even tried to regulate it at the factory.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still learning SA revolver grip but mine shoots POA at 10 yards with federal bulk and winchester bulk, haven't tried it with anything else yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Ouch, have you sent them that photo for your free return label? I can't think of any reasonable excuses for that one, I am sure beyond aggravating on your end. I find it extremely irritating in this new age of computerized, digitized everything no one can find a feeler gauge or dial indicator or at a minimum just look at it. Not real happy with my .011"!
    That photo is a Rough Rider, not a Ruger. Heritage (Rough Rider) doesn’t do free return labels; it costs $50 to send it in, even a brand new gun with an obvious defect. That’s one of several reasons that I’d never buy another Rough Rider.

Even if they did, I probably wouldn’t bother. I wouldn’t trust them to do it right. I installed an endshake bearing for a S&W, and that tightened it up just right. It’s actually impressively accurate, for what it is.

I got mine back together today after smoothing the loading gate operation. While I was in there I smoothed a few other parts (standard Ruger SA stuff). One part that got attention was the hammer strut (#25 on the part breakdown) & that required that I look for part #27 (mainspring seat) on 4 different occasions. I cobbled-up "bubba" type apparatus for depression the spring (safety glasses required).

Barrel/cylinder gap on mine is .006.

I don't possess a digital anything, but it lifted the 2.0 lb. & 2 1/4 weight, but 2 1/2 tripped the trigger. I didn't sneak up on the "poor man's trigger job": I snipped off one arm @ the coil while I had it apart. The lighter trigger made all the difference. Off hand I could tip over RF IHMSA pig silhouette @ 25 yds. (I know they should be shot @ 50 yds.). Before the trigger job I thought it was shooting low & left, but now know it was me.

My son was over yesterday & couldn't believe the $189.00 price. He order one today from the LGD: his fishing buddy ordered one also.

I have two grand daughters (grown & married, but still my shooting buddies) that may need one.

BTW the loading gate is much improved.

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 01-20-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast