Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Revolvers Introduced

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I thought I read that the grip frame is zinc and the frame is aluminum.
    Fatelk, we need a range report when you get a chance. Maybe a shoot off?
    Funny you mention that; I just got back from the range. I didn't spend much time there because my wife was with me, and it IS Mother's Day.

I had the Rough Rider, the Wrangler, and my old Ruger Standard auto. Lately I may not be the best one to judge handgun accuracy. Something's up with my eyes. The big 5-0 is just over the horizon, and I bought my first ever set of reading glasses just last month. Anyhow, I was shooting around 3" groups with all three pistols (with some fliers), 12 shot groups with the revolvers and a 10 shot group with the auto. I can usually do a little better than that, especially with the Standard. I did have one round keyhole wildly from the RR, even though I was being very careful to make sure the cylinder was fully indexed.

So far I really like the Wrangler, for what it is- a inexpensive little .22 revolver. I've read in a couple places that the frame is aluminum alloy, and the grip frame is pot metal.

I'm still kicking myself for passing up a used Single Six a few years back for $200 with the mag cylinder. I would have bought it except I was out of state and it would have entailed sending it to an FFL in my state, and I just didn't want to hassle with that.

Boolit Mold
    The .22 WMR bullet is .224 compared to .223 for the .22 LR, and can have faster velocity.
    And some .22 WMR bullets are actually jacketed
    I love it when somebody says that. It shows me they never actually measured a 22lr bullet. Well I have. Many of them and I have yet to measure one that was less than .224 and most are .225-.226. So they are more than big enough to seal the .224 barrel. And even they were undersized when fired they would upset to fill the bore.
    Last edited by hatchet jack; 05-14-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    The forcing cone size could be related to the Heritage also being able to fire .22 WMR instead of .22LR only.
    The .22 WMR bullet is .224 compared to .223 for the .22 LR, and can have faster velocity.
    And some .22 WMR bullets are actually jacketed
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
    I love it when somebody says that. It shows me they never actually measured a 22lr bullet. Well I have. Many of them and I have yet to measure one that was less than .224 and most are .225-.226. So they are more than big enough to seal the .224 barrel. And even they were undersized when fired they would upset to fill the bore.
    The context of my post had to do with one possible reason for the Heritage having a larger forcing cone being due to its ability to fire .22WMR bullets.
    Yet you didn't address that issue at all.
    I didn't say that .22LR was or wasn't large enough to fill the Heritage bore, but I did look up the bullet diameter for each cartridge.
    I agree that .22LR bullets can shoot very well through a bore meant for .224 bullets such as a stock AR barrel with a conversion bolt.
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-14-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Boolit Mold
    The .22 WMR bullet is .224 compared to .223 for the .22 LR,
    Hi Arcticap my response was to the statement you made about the bullet diameters of the 22lr compared to the 22 mag bullet. Most assume the 22lr is .223 but I can't find a single example of any that are that size. But thats what we have always been told. Sort of makes you wonder why anyone would buy one of the Paco Kelly bullet sizers that are supposed to increase 22 bullets for a better fit. But its all good. If you get a chance mike a few 22lr bullets and report back what you find out. I bet you are surprised.

The context of my post had to do with one possible reason for the Heritage having a larger forcing cone being due to its ability to fire .22WMR bullets.
    Yet you didn't address that issue at all.
    I have never owned or shot a Heritage made gun so I don't comment on guns I have no experience with. But the photos others posted of how far the bullets are going into the forcing cone looks like some pretty sloppy fitting to me. I wouldn't like that if it were my gun. But there is no reason for the forcing cone to be that deep for a 22 mag round.

I have handled a few of them them when considering buying one but they were just too cheap looking for me to consider one. I know some like them but I think I'll pass.
    Last edited by hatchet jack; 05-15-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A .32 S&W Long Wrangler would be cool. I didn't say H&R or Federal magnum due to the alloy frame. There us at least one Heritage RR thread here where several of us have documented what an inaccurate dog some of them are- mine included.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I'd love to see a 32 Long as well.

Boolit Master

I wonder how long it's gonna be before they catch up with demand.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I'd love to see a 32 Long as well.
    Me too! I would buy one.

Boolit Master
    I put the mic to a bunch of 22lr and found only one brand to be under .224 and it was .2235. The .223 thing for 22lr has been around for so long I assumed it to be true. If Ruger builds one in 32 S&W Long, I will take one at full list price and be very happy. Although I already have a Ruger single six and don't have a need for the Wrangler, I might buy one just because. The RR has too many owners with issues about them for me to be interested for anything over $50. I would buy one for $50 just to see if I could make it work.

I will buy one to serve the niche that the RR couldn’t. A rough use utility revolver that can be used for small game if need be. If I can find one that is!

I see them on the Dunhams Sports web site in their expanded gun section with a list price of $189.00. Of course they don't have any and ask if you want to be notified when available.

Boolit Master

I picked one up at a gun show last month for $189. It was the last one he had. I guess I was lucky.

This talk about a Ruger Wrangler in .32 S&W Long is interesting. It seems unlikely they would make one, but it sure would be a really neat little gun, and totally doable. It seems like the perfect design for it. I can't imagine it would be very hard at all to tool up to make them. The old .32 long is a low pressure round.

Would there be enough demand for them to actually produce them? I don't know, but it sounds like there's strong demand here. Maybe we should all drop Ruger an email to suggest it.

Speaking of .32 Long, I keep seeing references to a discontinued Heritage Arms revolver in .32 Long. All I see are fleeting references but nobody seems to have one. Anyone here have one?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I put the mic to a bunch of 22lr and found only one brand to be under .224 and it was .2235. The .223 thing for 22lr has been around for so long I assumed it to be true. If Ruger builds one in 32 S&W Long, I will take one at full list price and be very happy. Although I already have a Ruger single six and don't have a need for the Wrangler, I might buy one just because. The RR has too many owners with issues about them for me to be interested for anything over $50. I would buy one for $50 just to see if I could make it work.
    rbuck I just did the same thing. Most measured .224. A couple were .2245 and one was a full.226. Maybe Ruger knew what they were doing when they chose the .224 bore for the Single Six and Wrangler. They are some pretty smart yankee gunsmith's in my opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	242403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	242404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	242405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	242406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	242407
    Last edited by hatchet jack; 05-25-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My local shop has gotten exactly one Wrangler in so far, and it was gone within an hour. Even though I would prefer adjustable sights, I have decided I am going to get one in black. The groups I have seen in reviews are as good or better than I can do. I've been wanting a .22 LR revolver for some time now and it's going to be quite awhile before I can afford anything more.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have shot many RRs and have had them apart. I have not fired a Wrangler but got to look one over. There isn't any comparison in quality. With out shooting the Ruger you can tell it's a better built gun. I'm not looking for any 22s but would buy a Wrangler in 32 if they make one. I had a Ruger S-6 in 32mag when they 1st came out and gave it to a BIL who still has it. It was a accurate shooter and we shot 115g cast 32 loads in it. We never did have a box of 32mg. Later I got some 1x brass but never loaded it because we had hundreds of 32 brass.

i got one

A friend recently opened a gun shop & was able to find one in silver. I'd have preferred black, but told him to get it for me. Price = $189.00.

For the $ I think it's a deal, but wish I held out for a black one. It's almost impossible to get a sight picture in any kind of bright light when the front sight is silver & the back notch (very narrow) is likewise silver. Also consider that my eyes will be 80 in 2 months.

The 1st. range test @ 20 yds. wasn't so hot. The 1st photo is 12 rounds @ a small black dot that I painted on the chest area of the steel silhouette. Even with this poor group everything was decidedly low/right. The light conditions were bright & I was steadying against the roof upright of my wife's golf cart (she doesn't play golf, but transports her gardening stuff in the cart...…... it looks like death warmed over).

That night I painted the face of the front sight with bright red finger nail polish (every handgun shooter should have nail polish) and blacked out the "notch" & top groove of the frame with a black MM. This improved the sight picture.

2nd. range test the next day in cloudy conditions (same distance & steadying position). This time I shot 12 head shots. The lower light condition, red paint on the front sight & blacking out the "notch" produced an improvement. However things are slightly low/right.

The trigger is a little rough, but doesn't stack. I think I can improve it with a little work. The hammer doesn't seem to have any side to side slop according to my feeler gauges (around .002).

Henry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-038F.JPG   MVC-037F.JPG  
    Last edited by oldhenry; 06-06-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Boolit Master

I guess I lucked out finding mine at a show right after they came out, and in the color I preferred (black). I got my Rough Rider back from Heritage. I'll take them both to the range again tomorrow, see how they do.

I can't really blame Heritage for the quality of the Rough Rider. They have managed to produce a (mostly) usable revolver at the cheapest possible cost. Ruger went down the same road but spent just a little more on quality to meet their minimum standards. This makes the Wrangler a much better quality gun for about $60 more, retail.

That extra money might not be worth it for the average guy who wants a cheap gun that goes bang, but for many of us who expect a little better bare minimum, I think it's money very well spent.

Old Henry, that is the same treatment I apply to my S&W 637. Arctic white nail polish on the front sight, blacken the rear sight notch with a marker. I figger that nail polish will also do the trick on the Wrangler when I finally get one.

On the topic of the Rough Rider, we have had a couple and they shot just fine. Most irritating thing to me was the SAA style lockwork with a manual safety, which I thought was needlessly complex. Why not just copy the Ruger transfer bar design and be done with it? Surely it is long out of patent.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I had the day off today, so my son and I went out to the range. I took the Wrangler, the Rough Rider, my old Ruger Standard auto, and a funky gun I expect many have never heard of- a Ram-Line Exactor.

I shot from a bench, resting my arms on a sand bag. I shot 12 rounds through each gun, CCI Mini-Mag. I'm not the best shot around, and my hands were starting to hurt a little by the time I was done. A couple things surprised me. I usually do a little better with my old Standard. I've shot a gazillion rounds through it over the last 30 years. The silly Ram-Line plastic pistol did very well.

The first six rounds through the Wrangler were a little tighter than the Rough Rider, but opened up a little after the second cylinder. I think I changed my grip a little. It would take a better shot than I am to determine which is the more accurate revolver, and they're both plenty accurate enough for my purposes.

I still strongly prefer the Wrangler because it's a much better made gun, but the Rough Rider held it's own respectably. I won't speak ill of it any more, so long as it doesn't fall apart again.

Attachment 243055Attachment 243056Attachment 243057Attachment 243058

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Old Henry, that is the same treatment I apply to my S&W 637. Arctic white nail polish on the front sight, blacken the rear sight notch with a marker. I figger that nail polish will also do the trick on the Wrangler when I finally get one.

On the topic of the Rough Rider, we have had a couple and they shot just fine. Most irritating thing to me was the SAA style lockwork with a manual safety, which I thought was needlessly complex. Why not just copy the Ruger transfer bar design and be done with it? Surely it is long out of patent.
    The transfer bar was a Harrington and Richardson (or was it Iver Johnson?) idea back in the late 1800's or early 1900's. Long out of patent!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I was referring to Bill Ruger's design, wasn't it the first one for an SAA style revolver? Another option would be to add safety notches to the cylinder a'la North American Arms.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast