Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I take perverse pleasure in reloading/firing severely deformed cases

Boolit Buddy
    Inveterate scrounger here. Oh, it's a sickness, but what the heck. I can think of worse vices to have. A good friend of mine called me one time, was all PO'd because he'd been kicked off a public range for scrounging brass. I initially said that was bogus, he'd paid to be there like everyone else, and as long as he wasn't stealing other people's brass, they had no right to boot him. That's when he let me know he hadn't paid, in fact, he didn't even bring a gun!
    Just sayin' there are some sicker than others.....

Boolit Bub
    It is a disease and I am terminal

Banned

I am afflicted too. I think for me it's the idea of it being a case I can correct rather than waste. It's a matter of the feeling of success.

Boolit Buddy
    I also straighten bent cases. I also straighten empty .22lr cases to derim them in prep for swaging into .224 bullets. I "straighten 22lr cases!"

Boolit Man

I achieve orgasmic satisfaction throwing away deformed brass. I've been able to devote extra years of life to reloading and gotten rid of 25 gallons of "scrap brass" -- sometimes just because I can!

I recently bought 100 rounds of fired brass for my 7.62x54R. $12.95 with free shipping. This was just as picked up.
    44 were PPU, 30 Win, 31 S&B. this totals 105.
    I found three that had dents on the shoulder, one of these has a spot on the mouth that wouldn't straighten out after sizing.
    I loaded them with a starting load and then shot them. The dents ironed right out. Have to look hard to see where they were.
    The S&B is giving me issues. The primer pockets are tight. I have a Lyman primer pocket uniformer that I use with a cordless drill to deepen the pockets. even running it till it hits the bottom of case is still not deep enough to seat primers. Really have to grunt to get them even close.
    I have seen primer pocket uniformers that appear to have an adjustable stop. I may buy one.
    I had some S&B for my 7x57 that had the same issues. Even running them through my Dillion crimp remover tool didn't help.
    The Win Brass is almost as bad. The PPU is fine.
    If the 7.62x54R was easier to find I wouldn't waste my time trying to salvage it.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    I'm more inclined to do it because I think it almost a miracle that you can run a bent up case through a sizing die after getting it somewhat close and seeing it come out usable if not nearly perfect. It still holds some form of odd delight.

Boolit Mold
    Enjoyed the photo of the French Resistance stake rimmed 9mm case. May even try that for kix.

My journey into reloading started with my scroungy tendencies. Some local shooting spots I frequent often have brass flung all over the ground. At first I just picked it up, sorted and stored it without any plan for what to with it. Then little by little the tools and knowledge came to me and the reloading bug got a firm grip on me. It’s a simple quiet pleasure to make fresh ammo from all this brass. Well, it’s quiet until we use it anyway.

Boolit Master
    GONRA PURCHASED a pile of once fired 9mm brass waaay back in the "Clinton Panic". Never needed to unpack it with all the free stuff at the ranges these days!
    You guys more or less "nailed it". Almost by definition - reloaders are proud "el cheapo SCROUNGERS" !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought a tool to drill out berdan primers from steel 762 54r brass scattered all over my range

Boolit Master

When the brass is hopeless to be reanimated, you can saw off the case head, flatten and use as a brass tag.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234