Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any love for old bolt action 22's?

Mauser is legendary for their bolt action firearms and their rimfires are no different. The top rifle is a as issued/un-fired mas 45 & the bottom rifle is a Mauser ES340b single shot target rifle from the 1930's.

The Mauser was used in world class competitions and went head to head against rifles like the springfield M1922's and the Winchester 52's.

[IMG][/IMG]

A spingfield m1922 m2 with a 1928 bbl
    [IMG][/IMG]

1 of my favorite squirrel rifles, a 1958 Anschutz full stock with a 64 action wearing a Weaver post reticle 4x scope. Lite weight, compact and highly accurate
    [IMG][/IMG]

Anschutz came out with a sporter rifle based on their extremely accurate 54 actioned target rifles. They started producing them in 1963, a 1st year/1963 Anschutz 54 sporter.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Those are beyond nice, Forrest! Springfield Sporters imported a few of the Remington 513 Sporters back to the US in the 1980s and I missed out. A squirrel hunt with any of your rifles would be a treat.

Two

A Brno Model 1 my Grandfather got in Paru in 1950 and a Remington 512 I bought in 1998 from my wifes boss.

This one has served well since 1988 when my wife gave it to me. My little daughter helped torch stripe the stock and I reshaped it and shortened the barrel. The 4x Valor came on a 64 vintage Marlin but it fit here better.I love it. Remington 581S. The 5 shot mag is on it's last legs; the worst feature of these is the magazine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Those are acouple of beautiful Anschutz sporters, but I don't think 63 was the first year of production. The early sporters started sometime in the 50's.

From a 2009 bluebook of gun values. 54 sporter 1963 to 1981
    [IMG][/IMG]

The later 54 sporters don't have the hump on the bbl where the rear sight is mounted.

Boolit Bub
    Nothing better for all round fun than a Model 69A with a ten Rd mag that works
    Last edited by gbehrman; 04-30-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Correct text

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at a winchester 72 asking 275 does anybody think it's a fair price?

Boolit Buddy
    I just picked up what I believe to be a pre-war Winchester 69A Match rifle with the Lyman 57E receiver sight and a 17A front sight. 6 groove rifling instead of the standard 4 groove. She was plenty dirty. Cleaning it up really showed it off and increased the value by $150. I hope to get to shoot it on Sunday.

Boolit Grand Master

Currently shooting a Husqvarna single shot bolt action of the 1910 Mauser pattern. Tang sight and adjustable rear sight marked 20-50-and 100 meters. perfect bore and a medium heavy barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    By and large I'm a falling-block guy, but some years ago I bought a used Marlin 15Y "boys' rifle" and mounted an old Weaver J-4 scope to teach the grandsons with. They've long since outgrown it (both in college now), but it's still here. Outrageously handy for a quick shot at yard varmints. If I could still walk, I'd carry it on woods rambles, since it's easily minute-of-squirrel at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity.

Last month I scored a Paige-Lewis Model D at an auction, too.
    Ha, I picked a Cz 452 scout for hunter ed kids that wouldn’t fit the stock guns. I also was keeping it handy for chicken theiving foxes.....with my bad shoulder last year it was the right gun.

I have both colt 1-22 in 22LR and 22 MRF made from 1957-67. 22 mag. has made 2 one shot stops on these pesky groundhogs in our rural subdivision. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79F01099-5916-4D80-9876-C94578CFE060.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	241235

With 22LR, I am shooting CCI 22 quiet in the backyard and it’s like shooting with a suppressor.

Boolit Master
    I'm another owner of a JC Higgins 22. It's actually a clip-fed Marlin Glenfield sold by Sears, and I got mine for Christmas when I was 9 years old. That's 63 years ago. It looks as old as I do, but it still shoots well.

Boolit Master
    I have a great shooting pre-Micro Groove Marlin 81. I mostly shoot subsonics and standard velocity in it.
    And I haven't had a 10/22 for about 15 years.

Boolit Buddy
    I like to try and screw the best accuracy I can from the humble .22lr
    This my Sako P94s Finnfire with shortened varmint barrel and SAK moderator

Same Sako 94S wearing a Lija match barrel with homemade tuner and Parker Hale moderator.

Russian CM-2 single shot target rifle with chopped and threaded barrel and fitted with a scope.

Boolit Master
    Guys,

I have been amazed lately at the lack of 22 bolt actions in gun shops and box stores. Especially used ones. But even in the new realm - the local BORG had a bunch of 10/22's, Marlin 60's, and Mossberg Plinksters but hardly anything else.

Did people quit shooting 22's?

I seem to remember always seeing a few old Remington, Winchester, Savage Stevens, and Marlin bolt action 22's popping up in the gun shops. It just seems like they are much fewer.

For example - out of 5 stores - I found 1 JC Higgins Marlin single shot and 1 JC Higgins Marlin tube fed rifle. Found a couple old Winchester 67 and Remington 513 single shots.... Otherwise - it's all semi-autos... Marlin 39's NEVER show up anymore....

It's strange....

Lots of folks quit shooting .22s back during the big ammo shortage. There were several threads about "I can load and shoot .223 for the same price as .22". Maybe that still holds true, maybe not, as .22 ammo is now very available and approaching the pre-shortage prices. Why, though, that would result in a shortage of used bolt actions is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it's just a regional phenomena in your area, but I'd make the general observation that we're living in the age of shooters who seem to value a high volume of fire and ammunition expenditure above all else. Semi-autos seem to be more popular and better sellers, and I'd hazard a guess that single shot bolt actions are making up a much smaller percentage of the overall .22 sales. In other words, many more new semi-autos sold, many more used ones available. Also, economic times are different. When I was a kid I doubt if I put 2 bricks of ammo through my Stevens 15-A during my entire adolescence. Today one can hear an adult brag, "My boy put a whole brick of ammo through his 10/22 at the range today!"

DG

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    Guys,

I have been amazed lately at the lack of 22 bolt actions in gun shops and box stores. Especially used ones. But even in the new realm - the local BORG had a bunch of 10/22's, Marlin 60's, and Mossberg Plinksters but hardly anything else.

Did people quit shooting 22's?

I seem to remember always seeing a few old Remington, Winchester, Savage Stevens, and Marlin bolt action 22's popping up in the gun shops. It just seems like they are much fewer.

For example - out of 5 stores - I found 1 JC Higgins Marlin single shot and 1 JC Higgins Marlin tube fed rifle. Found a couple old Winchester 67 and Remington 513 single shots.... Otherwise - it's all semi-autos... Marlin 39's NEVER show up anymore....

It's strange....
    What I find even more amazing is the price of the better quality older bolt guns. I've been shopping for REM 514 for sometime and it seems if I don't want to pay in the area of $200 + shipping and transfer fees for one, I'm out of luck unless I want a very worn and beat up one. The thought of paying that kind of money for a single shot 22 rifle that originally cost somewhere around $15.00, new, just boggles my mind. I guess I have to quit living in the past.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Every area and shop are different.
    Most gun dealers don't pay a whole lot to buy older .22's unless they're something really special or being trade-in toward a new gun.
    And they can charge a minimum fee to sell a gun on consignment which doesn't make it appealing to the gun owner who wants to sell an inexpensive gun.

Almost every single .22 bolt gun ever made is still out there probably either in people's closet or were sold to other folks who wanted to collect or re-sell it.

Online selling is such a large part of the gun business.
    Even some dealers end up selling their old rifles on Gunbroker or other auction sites if they sit on the rack for too long.
    I've also seen some large used gun dealers who seem to specialize in selling on their shop's own website.
    Multiply that by all of the forums that have classified ads and the number of .22 bolt guns for local sale ends up being greatly reduced.

Many states also have forums to help people sell their guns locally without the added fees.
    The last .22 WMR that I bought was from this forum's for sale ads, and my last .22lr semi rifle was off a statewide website that allows free gun ads.
    When I last sold a 514 I placed a free ad on the Rimfire Central forum.
    But a forum like that needs to be watched on a regular basis because items can move quickly, especially if it's offered at a fair price.

If a person really wanted a particular model another option is to place a wanted ad on a forum.
    Or try to find one for sale online by doing extensive Google searches and just pay the extra money for shipping and transfer for a nice specimen.

Lastly, find a dealer who charges the cheapest transfer fees in your area.
    Gunbroker has a list of dealers by state to help with that.
    And then ask the dealer if he accepts long gun transfers from an out of state private individual.
    No one wants to pay 2 transfer fees if they can help it, both out-going and in-coming.
    Also make sure that a private seller is willing to ship directly to your FFL.
    The rifle that I bought from this forum, the seller was willing to ship it himself through the Post Office.
    Some P.O.'s may not even realize it, but the seller only needs a copy of the buyer's FFL dealer of choice which can be easily emailed.
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-10-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast