Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any love for old bolt action 22's?

Boolit Master
    I still prefer bolt action rifles for 22 LR purposes. Especially at the gun range, it takes you a lot longer to go through a box of ammo with a bolt action than it does with a semi-automatic. So you get to spend more time enjoying it.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of bolt action 22 rifles. This is my favorite a Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter i bought new in 1968. i saved every penny I could lay my hands on to buy it new for $139.95.

Boolit Master

I have a fondness for the older .22s.

The one I wanted was the 521 jr, or was it a 512 jr? A friend had one but I passed on it as someone had inexpertly routed a channel in the forend replacing the factory handstop gear with a freeland. I probably should have bought it anyhow. I like my guns in original shape though.

My current walk aroung gun is a 39a. It’s about 70 years old. My bolt .22s are in two camps though, older fat heavy barrel match guns: 52c, 40x, 40xb. My bolt sporter are all kind of modern; Ruger 77/22 and Cz 452s. The CZs are like the old guns but not enough character on them yet.

Boolit Bub
    After getting the winter reloading done I needed another project. Pulled Dad's Rem. 514 out. This has been gathering dust for years. Around 10 years ago the Montgomery Ward 4x scope finally gave up. Only 3/4" tube I could find local was a cheap Barska 2-7x. Sighted it in, then decided it just looked wrong and parked it. While having a few brews trolling fleabay over Xmas break, a Weaver C4 caught my eye. Figured a good looking vintage scope for the old dog would renew my interest. Can't wait to get it sighted in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1008.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I shoot an old Mossberg 46B-b quite a bit, also a couple other Mossberg's 146 and 44. I also enjoy the Henry lever and a Marlin 39a, but I shoot the Mosberg 46B-b the most, a 10-22 is seldom used. The 46B-b is a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law and hunting mentor when I was 11, 58 years ago. It goes under 2" at 100 yards with most any ammo. At 200 yards it will stay under 6" vertical and 2" horizontal if wind is down. I haven't tried/tested ammo for best grouping.

my old cz 452 is the weapon that I like to shoot the most

Boolit Master
    Love my Remington 341. Been shooting it since the early 70s.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I've not heard of a rem 341, I'll have to check that out.

Attachment 240141

My first rifle, a Christmas gift from my parents at age 12, 1954. Still have it, still in great condition, a Stevens Mod. 15-A single shot bolt action. Many a critter and varmint fell to it. It's been stored away for many years now. A single shot .22 is a great training aid for a new shooter, requiring an accurate first shot, and developing a deft reloading technique.

It did impress upon me that a repeater could be of value, so in following years I obtained a number of them. Among the most interesting and accurate were 3 Russian TOZ-17-01 .22 training rifles that have 5 round detachable magazines. I decided to use them in teaching Hunter Education for the students' live fire instruction. The first class to use them lost one of the magazines in a thick patch of sweet peas by the creek. There was nothing visible except elbows and posteriors for about 20 minutes until it was found, and thereafter following classes used them as single shots.

I also acquired a pair of the Romanian .22 training rifles, but have never gotten around to shooting them enough to have an opinion.

Seems like sooner or later every forum has the question "If you could only have one gun, what would it be?" and the .22 rifle usually gets the most votes by far. I used to think that way, but after lots of consideration went with the 12 Ga. shotgun crowd. Hard to shoot a flying bird with a .22 -- although I'm sure Annie Oakley could do it.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I have a couple of bolt action 22 rifles. This is my favorite a Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter i bought new in 1968. i saved every penny I could lay my hands on to buy it new for $139.95.

Beautiful gun . Expensive around that same time I got my first 22 a new Marlin single shot it was $15.00 and some change.

Boolit Master
    An interesting link, only slightly off topic but relevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/karavan...inchester/amp/

And quite interesting reading. The value of a rook rifle, or for us a 22 . Peter Fleming is related( brother if I remember correctly) to Ian Fleming the author.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I see it at the range all the time, most folks don't teach there kids the art of slow accurate shots anymore! They just try and vaporize ammo as fast as they can, without any thought of accuracy! I love those Remington 510 series rifles, they all had the same action, they are very accurate rifles. I've had a few though the years, but none at the moment. The Marlins are my favorite, I've bought quite a few of them as projects, and built one from parts. Nothing wrong with an bolt 22!

.22RF bolt guns are my favorite...….especially the Rem. 500 series.
    Presently have: Win 67, Rem 511, 512, 512P, & project 521T, Ithaca 49, 2 Mossberg 142As & a 142K
    Gifted to grandchildren: 2 Rem 581,582 & 511
    Gifted to son: 521T

Henry
    Last edited by oldhenry; 04-22-2019 at 09:39 AM.

By and large I'm a falling-block guy, but some years ago I bought a used Marlin 15Y "boys' rifle" and mounted an old Weaver J-4 scope to teach the grandsons with. They've long since outgrown it (both in college now), but it's still here. Outrageously handy for a quick shot at yard varmints. If I could still walk, I'd carry it on woods rambles, since it's easily minute-of-squirrel at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity.

Last month I scored a Paige-Lewis Model D at an auction, too.
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-22-2019 at 04:53 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was a Sears bolt action .22
    I don't remember the model, but it was tube feed and held 25 shorts, 20 longs, and 18 long rifles. I think I got it for Christmas when I was nine or ten. I sold it to a young fellow here in Eufaula with his father's permission. I had mounted a 6x Weaver on it when I graduated from high school in 1971. It was a well built rifle, and accounted for a lot of tree rats, woodchucks, one flying pheasant, and God only knows what else....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I started out shooting my Dad's Marlin 81DL in the early 60's. The first .22 I bought with my own money was a M52A Winchester in 1966, for $40 that took virtually all my odd-job money that summer. Since then I have only bought bolt guns with a sprinkling of falling block single shots. Currently I enjoy a couple M2 Springfields, BRNO #2, M37 Remington, and Savage M19-33NRA, to name a few. (Last pickup, two weeks ago, was a Winchester-Miroku Low Wall single shot with Leupold 3-9x. I told you single shots get mixed in!)

Boolit Master

Bolt action .22's

Top to bottom:
    Remington 521-T "The Junior Special"
    Glenfield 25
    Norinco JW15

Attachment 240277

If I see one that's in bad shape and needs some TLC I can't resist. All 3 of 'em made great projects.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Nicely done, mac60.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Nicely done, mac60.
    Thank you Sir.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Let me think about that a second.
    I have an Anschutz 1416, Mossberg 146B and a 42C, Norinco JW-15, Winchester 52 and a pair of Remington 521-Ts. Bunch of other non bolts too. My favorite .22 rifle is a single shot Stevens 44. I'd dump all the bolts before I got rid of the Stevens. Also partial to the Remington 552s I have. They all serve a purpose. Single shot sure makes a brick of ammo last a long time!
    Last edited by arlon; 04-29-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast