RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any love for old bolt action 22's?

Boolit Master

Any love for old bolt action 22's?

Hey guys,

I have noticed a significant change over the last 20 years of 22 shooting.

Bolt actions - especially single shots - are all but gone and semi-autos seem to have won the day.

So.... Any love with you guys for vintage 22 bolt actions?

I ended up picking up a scoped Springfield Savage 84c pawn shop special to teach the kids shooting. They love the thing and so do I.

Subsequently, I traded a CZ I didn't shoot on an old Winchester 69 repeater bolt action and then added an old Winchester 67a single shot.

I have been happy with these. They aren't nearly as finnicky with ammo as my CZ, their long barrels don't make nearly as much racket as semi-autos, and their long barrels are easy to shoot with iron sights, and they just have really cool vintage mojo that the new guns just don't have.

But it's kinda sad to notice the rimfire market.... Bolt actions have almost disappeared. Neither Winchester nor Remington have a bolt action 22 in their standard lineup... There are basically no "Mid price" American bolt action 22's that would compete with somebody like CZ anymore... And try to find a single shot that's not a wee little kid gun.

What about you guys? Do you still shoot your old long barrel 22 bolt guns or have you traded all of them for custom 10/22's?

My bolt action, tube feed Marlin is still very effective on the over population of turtles here.

With CCI CB shorts, its about as loud as clapping your hands.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I grew up with an old Winchester 72A bolt action tube feed. I still have it and it still shoots minute of squirrel head at 50 yards. It has been with me for 55 years now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized800001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	240074

Boolit Master
    I received a single shot, bolt action .22 for my 13th birthday. It was used, not new. I am now 68, and that old .22 is still a lot of fun to shoot. I added a Tasco scope a few years ago. My son and I had a great time picking walnuts out of the tree.

Boolit Grand Master
    My bolt action .22's include an Anschutz and Browning 52. I find the bolt action .22 very nostalgic and enjoy them. Many younger and new shooters have never shot a high quality .22 bolt action and do not know what they are missing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I got a remington 521 when I was 13 and I can shoot it better now than I could then. I put a dayglow orange fiberoptic front sight on it and just about can't miss. I have a 513 heavy barrel 22 that I put a bi-pod and a 3 to 9 scope on and have had a little fun with it.... Not enough though. I have had a couple of other 22 rifles that have gone on to other owners over the years also.. but not my bolt guns.

I do tend to use these as single shot rifles. Just set the box of shells down and bang away, one shot at a time. I find it tedious to load the magazine every 5 shots.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 04-19-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My most used .22 is my father's old Remington 34 tube-magazine, takedown boltgun. Original backpack survival gun.

Attachment 240075
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I don't have a bolt action currently but I love them all the way around. When my house burnt 4 years ago I lost a Remington 41 targetmaster. I have owned several others including a winchester 67, marlin 15, Marlin 925, Marlin 925M and a Stevens 66.

A single shot 22 bolt is on my want list. As is a Marlin 881 which is the tube fed bolt. Heck a Ruger 77/22 is a fine looking and feeling gun but they are high priced.

I had a different Rem 41 years ago, and that thing would shoot! I used to hit empty 22 casings at 25 yards and shotgun shells well past 50. Loved it, but I got in a dunce and traded it off.

My first 22 a rem targetmaster single shot I carried through the southern Missouri woods from about age 7 on up still have that gun. Got a homemade stock on it never seen the original. I remember when I was still a kid can't remember what age had a few adult hotshots come down and we would set a soda can down by the creek and dad would watch me put them to shame with there scoped guns. And of course I had iron sights. wish I kept up with how many shots I made with that thing

Moderator Emeritus

My very first firearm -- maybe, 1961 or '62 -- was my Great Uncle's Mossberg Model 42C bolt action .22. It came with a magazine with a screw in it for loading/shooting shorts, which he had in it. Bion, IN New York City, not a bad way to recreate was the shooting of rabbits off the 3rd Avenue El (elevator railway: subway). However, the city passed an ordnance making this illegal -- and I was gifted Uncle Vincent's Mossberg. I loved and shot it as a kid, and still love and shoot it! It has a Weaver 4x scope on it, too.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Oh yes, I really like the vintage 22 bolts, especially the single shots. A 67 and 67A, Remington M33, Winchester 47 and its repeater version the M69. Then the Rem 41, and my favotite a first yeat M69 Winchester. They are slim and not the least picky of ammo like the modern chambered guns. Also have a repro 52 Sporter, a tack driver but just not the same. 60s T bolts are special, my 1969 T1 has probably accounted for enough squirrels to fill a truck bed! I like most all steel and walnut 22s, but the old bolts hold a special fascination. I even built up a walnut sporter 1022 with a 28 inch barrel inspired by the long barreled bolt action sporters. Know what they say about imitation...
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    marlin 25n , it"s a great one

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Dad had a Win 63 and a 67A along with a Mossberg target model the number escapes me at the moment . Great single shots , especially for the kids and those 3.5 cal "bull" barrels make them real shooters and as long as the case stays in one piece there's just not anything to go wrong with them . We had a couple of Winchester autos and Glenfield auto too but we always seemed to get the old singles out when it was time to get serious for quarters and dimes and stuff . Dad bought his 63 brand new in 50 or 51' . When he bought the 67A about 6-7 yr ago he was doing some research to find out exactly what was different between the 2 , he suddenly realized just how much like the 03' those rifles were . Imagine that ........
    Anyway the greatgrands will get to enjoy these 3 for another 60-70 years I expect and I expect to be around to tell Coke bottle cap and cottontail stories for another 25-30 years too .
    Last edited by Harter66; 04-18-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Great grands ......good grief where's it go ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    first rifle was dad's win 67. brother has it now. finger groove stock meant pre 1940.

Boolit Master
    Oh, yeah. I keep a Remington 510 by the back door loaded with CB rounds. Ultra quiet on pests.

Boolit Master

I got a hand me down Winchester 67 as a kid. There is no telling how many 1000's of rounds I have put through that old rifle in the last 60 years, but it is still good for many 1000's more.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I have a Model 67A Winchester also and it is my go to .22lr. I paid a whole $8.00 for it in like new condition way back in the day. Best $8.00 I have spent. It will go to the grandkids soon. james

Boolit Master

I like CCI Quiets for dispatching garden pests, won't cycle a semi.

Two Mossberg M44's. Purchased from the CMP for $75 each.
    Savage Rascal for my Grandson.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

I’m headed out the back door for a walk right now. It’s going to take a minute to decide between the 510 or 581 Remington to accompany me. I learned to shoot with a Remington 511 of my Dads- on the farm BB guns were for training dogs��

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast