WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any love for old bolt action 22's?

Time to get out the Kimber with the 6-18 Redfield, club is having a 100 yard egg shoot Sunday. 10 eggs, 10 bullets, 10 minutes. Tie breaker is paint balls, made it to the tie breaker, never could hit the paint balls. They be puny.

52 and 15 mph winds forecast for Sunday at shoot time. Probably won't need to have any tie breaking paint balls this time around.

Boolit Master
    Now that sounds like fun. I need to get our club to do something like that.

I gotta ask- pigeon eggs or chicken eggs?

Boolit Master

I sold my bolt 22 to a friend after Pa passed semiauto for hunting. I miss it sometimes. Im glad i bought a bolt 223 my last rifle purchase.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned
    Every gun owner needs at least one good .22 rifle and a bolt action is a good choice to fill that role.

There were some outstanding .22 bolt actions made in years gone by. The Remington's are particularly appealing because despite their low initial cost, Remington used some excellent barrels on their .22 bolt actions. Even some of the "economy" Remington .22 rimfire bolt guns were very good shooters.

For harvesting game for food, most Americans would be well suited with just 2 guns: A single barrel break action shotgun and a good .22 rimfire bolt action.

There are few firearms tools that are more useful than an accurate .22 rifle.

If I could have only one .22 rimfire it would be the most accurate bolt action I could put my hands on, regardless of the age of that rifle. As long as it was accurate and in good condition, it would be on my list.

Banned
    And BTW, If I was in the market for a new bolt action .22 I would be looking for a CZ 452.

Boolit Master
    First rifle I ever owned was a Remington 514. I still have it. I paid $19 and change for it brand new the day after my 18th birthday.

Boolit Master

Rem 514 was my first as well. Wish I still had it. I got it for Christmas in 1956. To compensate I bought one off GB that has a broken stock (at the wrist) that I repaired with a through and through dowel I made from Walnut. Super strong. It is a accurate shooter and love it like the original I had. BTW, I pick up a new to me Western Field model M 832 .22 this weekend as part of my 49th anniversary. Looks like new and is clip magazine fed. I really like my .22 bolt guns. I have a Springfield tube mag feeder that I'll probably sell cause I've run out of space to store them all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    And BTW, If I was in the market for a new bolt action .22 I would be looking for a CZ 452.
    Me to.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned bolt action .22lr pistols since the thread didn't specify rifles only.
    I can remember at least 2 models, the Anschutz Exemplar [10" barrel] and the Savage Striker.
    While desirable, they were not very popular.
    The Anschutz replacement for the Exemplar had a 14" barrel, but is very expensive.
    However the Striker was quite affordable and its cost was well under $200 when it first came out.
    I never really liked that their bolt handles were located on the left side but I can understand the reasons why.

1. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...6L+P+KV+PISTOL

2. http://www.armslist.com/posts/735698...model-501-22lr
    Last edited by arcticap; 04-24-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned bolt action .22lr pistols.
    I can remember at least 2 models, the Anschutz Exemplar [10" barrel] and the Savage Striker.
    While desirable, they were not very popular.
    The Anschutz replacement for the Exemplar had a 14" barrel.

1. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...6L+P+KV+PISTOL

2. http://www.armslist.com/posts/735698...model-501-22lr
    I remember seeing one along time ago never owned one

Boolit Master
    I keep looking at the little Chipmunk pistol, and they aren't all pink plastic. Some models come with walnut! Would make an interesting ultralight squirrel getter
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

In Remembrance

I have two bolt actions that I enjoy shooting, a Remington 540X and an old JC Higgins, I have no idea what model the JC is and it looked like death warmed over but the darned thing shoots like nobody's business. Back in my younger days I bubba'd the JC and probably shouldn't have but hey it's mine and it shoots good.

The wife had a crickett rifle before our house burnt, that thing was very accurate. I could easily shoot one hole groups at 25 yards. It liked winchester 333/555 ammo. It's do an inch group if you tried feeding it federal bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post

Chicken eggs, you supply a dozen but you don't get to shoot your own eggs. Got to check the rules tomorrow, if it's large or extra large eggs.

You shoot one shot at each egg, don't shoot an egg you think you missed a second time, you may have creased it and it's leaking. Leakers score the same as solid hits that blow up the eggs. You can also leave skid marks on the eggs, skid marks are the same as a miss. Pretty annoying to see an egg with a lead mark on it's side that's not leaking.

Kind of like a military match we had several years ago where the bonus targets were balloons, my daughter hit one on the side with her 30 carbine, everyone saw the balloon move dramatically to the side but didn't break. Checked it and it had a lead skid mark on the balloon but no POP! She was just a little annoyed.

Blamed my hand loads. It's always the old man's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post

The backer boards are black painted plywood, two long screws about an inch apart, sticking out from the plywood, eggs sit on top of the screws, held on with a rubber band. You can't see where your misses are.

Have to check the rules again, think you are allowed 3 sighters on a paper target you can see where you are hitting.

I was wrong on the sighters, you are allowed 5 minutes unlimited sighters, the 3 sighters rule was from a match I used to shoot. Geezer memory. Only allowed 10 bullets on the bench when you start shooting.
    Last edited by 15meter; 04-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Boolit Master

My dad got me a mossberg 342k/352k as my first 22, stupid me I let it go years ago sure wished I could find one I could afford. It would remind me of my dad and all the fun we had with that rifle.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I know where a 580 Remington is- but it's missing the rear sight and they are asking $200it's Been there a while, a lowball offer might be in the offing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Have had a 77/22 since the early 90's, still bone stock, still a great shooter. Just lucked into a Winchester 52D '63 vintage - what a tack driver !!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    Have had a 77/22 since the early 90's, still bone stock, still a great shooter. Just lucked into a Winchester 52D '63 vintage - what a tack driver !!!
    Find an aftermarket sear, that was the only thing I changed on my 77/22, could not believe the improvement. Think it was a Volquartsen.

So many excellent older rimfire bolt actions out there. A lot of shooters own the Remington 513-t's, they also made a sporter version of that rifle. A Remington 513-s from the 1950's
    [IMG][/IMG]

In the 80's Remington re-designed their bolts on the 540/580 series rimfire rifles. The results are these rimfires have the fastest lock time of any Remington rimfire ever produced. A couple of the Remington 541-s sporters.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast