Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Any love for old bolt action 22's?

Boolit Master

I saw a very good condition marlin 39A with Ballard cut rifling. $800 iirc.

Way beyond what my threshold would have been if I wanted another.

Boolit Master
    That's a prize. I have one myself - with an original color case hardened receiver.

It's a fine shooter.

Banned
    In my opinion the old Remington 510 is the best single shot .22 that was made and sold at a decent price. It goes on safety each time the bolt is opened. The 511, 512, 1nnd 513 are also very good old .22s. All of these are available on Gun Broker.

^^^me too^^^ I learned to shoot with Dads 511; I bought a 510 for my grandson last year. What a rifle should be.

I sure would like to find another remington 41 targetmaster in nice shape.

Boolit Buddy

A Shapleigh' King Nitro single shot bolt action with a lot of family history. Squirrel's eye accuracy @ squirrel ranges.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Buddy

When my father turned 16 (1938) his father bought him a single shot Remington. I have it and it's my favorite. Interesting that the receiver and barrel are one piece.

I am a sucker for old 22's when I see them with wood stocks that need refinished but in good working condition. Last week I found 2 like that, a Stevens M 15 and a Springfield M 52A both are in decent order just need a little love. I paid $40 for the M15 and $60 for the M52 at that price I feel I can give them away to a kid who needs a 22 that's simple and accurate.
    Its getting harder to find a new 22 with a wood stock and steel trigger guard that doesn't have some silly orange plastic parts or something that makes it not look like a real gun should.
    My first real gun was a Win. M 67 that is everything a kid needs and is beautiful to look at. When sitting in the woods waiting for a squirrel to show up I tend to look at the gun I am holding and admire the wood and metal. There's not many things that can last your whole lifetime and can be handed down and do the same again for someone else over and over. Love old 22's !

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Same here, I love the long slim and graceful lines of the Win 67 and 69 for that matter. Those 67s will be still shooting well into the next generation, simple reliable and very accurate! Amazing that they were the entrylevel rifle of the time.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought a Mossberg 142k. Really nice no marks anywhere 100 bucks.

I cut my teeth on an Oberndorf Mauser. My first 22 was a 512. I now have that Oberndorf and a few other old 22's, some single shot Slazengers - with one piece barrel and actions. The steel used on the Slazengers was ordnance steel and it is tough stuff. Very difficult to cut with a hacksaw but it machines well.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-22-2019 at 04:30 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Man
    I have 2 .22 single shots...and I have a tube-fed .JC Higgins. And any of them will cost you money shooting the the bottoms out of beer bottles - in the mouth, out the bottom - at 50 yards...at 10 to 1 odds. A lot of .22;s are deadly weapons
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    My only beef with Winchester 67's is that they get mushy, gritty triggers because of powder residue in the action.

That unitized sear/ejector piece is an engineering marvel - but it moves in, out, up, and down - and all that movement allows way too much trash into the trigger works. Sure - it's easy to clean... Just pull the take down screw and wipe it down.... But still - Clean it out and it's only good for 5-10 shots until more residue works its way down into the trigger again and it goes gritty and mushy.

It's not a problem with Winchester's other rifles.... And it's probably why nobody else used this particular John Browning design.

That's why basically all modern 22's have shrouds over their trigger assemblies.... It keeps the muck out and the triggers stay nice.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456