MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolits on closeout at Lowes

Boolit Buddy

Boolits on closeout at Lowes

While wandering through Lowes this morning I was passing the closeout cart in the main aisle when something caught my eye. It was a cardboard box with a lead warning printed on it. Turned out to be a stack of lead boots for vent pipes. The ones on the cart were 1.5 and 2" and were marked down 50%. Not a bad deal if you need them for a roof repair but nowhere near scrap price. I wandered on and spotted some similar boxes bearing the same warning on a bottom shelf. These were 3" boots and were marked down from $23 to 93 cents. I found a cart and scoffed up all three of them. I weighed them when I got home and they came in at 3 lbs 2 oz each. Almost 10# of lead for 2.65 out the door (after my Lowes military discount. I have no shame).

I asked about markdowns on the remaining sizes and I was told that if they were there long enough they would also be reduced until they sold. I will be checking back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190418_104637.jpg   20190418_105642.jpg   20190418_122551.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Will be checking this at my home town lowes maybe before the word gets out.

Boolit Master
    I will have

You never know what Lowes is going to clear out. I once got 3 brand new anti sweat valves for toilets for $5 each. They normally run $18-$20 each.

When they have a clean up, crushed vent stack covers get tossed.
    The manager has given me a few over the years just for asking.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    When they have a clean up, crushed vent stack covers get tossed.
    The manager has given me a few over the years just for asking.
    These are all NIB. One box had been opened. I will take them either way at that price although I may put away a set to fit my roof in case it needs to be replaced. I had the neoprene boots replaced with lead about 10 years ago when we saw water on the ceiling of several rooms. Those boots should be OK unless they get damaged.

Boolit Master

All I've ever seen were black plastic or aluminum/plastic.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    All I've ever seen were black plastic or aluminum/plastic.
    Yes, that is what most of them are. A neoprene boot around the pipe with an aluminum flange to nail it to the roof. Problem is the neoprene is not very UV resistant long term. The neoprene rots and cracks and you are left with water running down the vent pipe onto your ceiling. Probably the only option that will be available soon.

Boolit Master
    Are they in the roofing or plumbing department ? I checked a lowes near me but struck out.

Super Moderator

...............About 15 years ago my next door neighbor Ralf called. He was a construction super for a fairly large outfit. I worked night shifts at this time so he told my wife about some free lead I should come and get. I was asleep at the time and she told him I had all the lead I needed However, good ole Ralf knew better then that, so he rounded up a couple laborers to give him a hand. They'd been expanding a radiological room at a hospital and the outfit handling the lead lining was cleaning up and told Ralf he could have all the overage he wanted before the recycler got there.

And this is what he brought me! Forty 28 lb blocks and thirty six 32 lb blocks for about 2,270 lbs total. Not only that but he stacked it by the side of my garage door It's not pure, but it's fairly soft. Works just fine in the MLers and alloyed up a bit does fine for smokeless work. Luckily he drove a 3/4 ton Ford back and forth to work, but he said the rear bumper was noticeably lower then usual.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............About 15 years ago my next door neighbor Ralf called. He was a construction super for a fairly large outfit. I worked night shifts at this time so he told my wife about some free lead I should come and get. I was asleep at the time and she told him I had all the lead I needed However, good ole Ralf knew better then that, so he rounded up a couple laborers to give him a hand. They'd been expanding a radiological room at a hospital and the outfit handling the lead lining was cleaning up and told Ralf he could have all the overage he wanted before the recycler got there.

And this is what he brought me! Forty 28 lb blocks and thirty six 32 lb blocks for about 2,270 lbs total. Not only that but he stacked it by the side of my garage door It's not pure, but it's fairly soft. Works just fine in the MLers and alloyed up a bit does fine for smokeless work. Luckily he drove a 3/4 ton Ford back and forth to work, but he said the rear bumper was noticeably lower then usual.

................Buckshot
    Wow, thats a good Friend!

I've hauled a weighed 2700# in my 3/4 ton a couple of times. It smoothed out the ride pretty nicely!

^^^^ Ralf should never ever have to buy another beer when you're within hollerin' distance!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    ^^^^ Ralf should never ever have to buy another beer when you're within hollerin' distance!
    Thats what I was thinking too!!!

Boolit Buddy
    There are friends and there are FRIENDS. We know which category Ralf falls into.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Are they in the roofing or plumbing department ? I checked a lowes near me but struck out.
    Most of this was on a portable shelf located in the aisle in the middle of the store. They move it around so it is not always in the same place. The 3" boots that I bought Thursday were not on the cart. They were on an end cap on the end of the row across from the lumber desk.

Boolit Buddy
    I went back today to check on the remaining boots. They were still there and still priced the same. I did find one more 3" on the shelf. I picked it up and walked down to where I found the other three marked 93 cents. Peeled the sticker off of the shelf and stuck it on the box. I walked over to the lumber desk and asked the guy to check the computer to be sure I had not missed any more. It just showed the one in stock. He commented on the bargain price and I told him that I was waiting for them to drop the price on the ones on the clearance shelf and I wanted the rest of them. "Let's go take a look". The story concludes at the checkout.

I ended up with 50# or so at about 35 cents a pound. Not a super bargain but half what I would have had to pay to get the same thing from the scrap yard. Who would have thought I would ever be reduced to begging on the street corner for lead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lowes haul copy.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    I bet those truck rode like a Cadillac.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I went back today to check on the remaining boots. They were still there and still priced the same. I did find one more 3" on the shelf. I picked it up and walked down to where I found the other three marked 93 cents. Peeled the sticker off of the shelf and stuck it on the box. I walked over to the lumber desk and asked the guy to check the computer to be sure I had not missed any more. It just showed the one in stock. He commented on the bargain price and I told him that I was waiting for them to drop the price on the ones on the clearance shelf and I wanted the rest of them. "Let's go take a look". The story concludes at the checkout.

I ended up with 50# or so at about 35 cents a pound. Not a super bargain but half what I would have had to pay to get the same thing from the scrap yard. Who would have thought I would ever be reduced to begging on the street corner for lead.
    Thats a nice score and at a decent price. It should also be nice and clean, unlike the used ones that have paint, tar and oxidation on them. It pays to always have your radar on!!! Good job!

Boolit Master

Got a hunting buddy that's a roofer. Every time I go by his truck, I usually get a couple of used ones out of the back that he saves for me. Pure lead except for the solder joints. Got a pretty good batch saved up looking for a local BP shooter for a trade. Got enough tin and lino to alloy it but have a barn full of lead now. The barn might blow away but I guarantee that the foundation will be there./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Got a hunting buddy that's a roofer. Every time I go by his truck, I usually get a couple of used ones out of the back that he saves for me. Pure lead except for the solder joints. Got a pretty good batch saved up looking for a local BP shooter for a trade. Got enough tin and lino to alloy it but have a barn full of lead now. The barn might blow away but I guarantee that the foundation will be there./beagle
    I still have two 5 gallon buckets of COWW plus an unknown number of ingots (need to inventory). Another bucket of SOWW and some ingots as well plus about 125# of lead pipe in ingot form. I will continue to work from the COWW supply as long as it holds out but I did not want to pass up any clean lead at near scrap price.

I have a few pieces of the xray room lead "tiles" with the sort of tongue and groove edges. Not like a stack, more like a few under a shelf on the floor. Really nice lead. I once saw a pallet of lead plates it was for a cow xray machine installation. I didn't bite even though the price wasn't too bad. The pieces were all huge lead plate and my little commute mobile wasn't big enough and I had little desire to chop up large pieces.

Sigh now I scrounge for the occasional plumbers lead ingots and try to not overflow my two crates for plain. Need to do a spring batch alloy supply casting session to make some room.

Anytime you can end up with lead for less than 50 cents a pound you are doing really well. Clean boots at that price is a most excellent reward for your sharp eye and persistence.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast