Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: MP molds 12ga Lyman Full Bore slug

Boolit Bub

MP molds 12ga Lyman Full Bore slug

I've been wanting to order a Lyman-type slug mold from Miha for quite a while now, I've already received two miles from him in the recent past on a group buy, one is a 3-cavity .251cal 25ACP slug with three pins, two HP and one solid and the other is the .460 Hammer with all four pins, with which I am yet to start casting.

What is the diameter and weight on the full bore 12ga Lyman-type sabot type slug that is listed on the website? Any one here have one of those? Here's the link..https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...full-bore-slug

Boolit Master

I think gpidaho has one of these, maybe hell show up here and give you answer.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

My mould is the NOE copy of the Lyman 525gr. Sabot slug. I just poured about 80 of them today. With an alloy of about 9-10 BHN they weigh just a little over 500gr. (500 to 510) they measure .680 on the band and .660 on the skirt. I only own one of the Miha moulds and it's a .359 HP mould. He cuts a very nice mould indead. Gp

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the heads up gpidaho! So those dimensions will cast a slug that goes into a shotcup, what about the Full Bore slug that he has on the site, any ideas as to what those weigh in and drop at?

z375: If you're asking about a Noe mould I've found that the dimensions given by Al at the Noe website are spot on. Size and weight will vary to a small degree depending on the alloy you use. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Can't say for sure but I see Mihec is using the same chart style I sent to Randy for NOE to make the Lyman sbot slug clone so he may be using these dimensions for the full bore slug:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1892.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	240100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1893.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	240101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1894.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	240102

IIRC turbo1889 posted the two charts. Wherever, I downloaded and saved them both.

Like I said not sure Mihec is using those exact dimensions but I think the 0.730" +/- a thou or two is a given. I think most rifled guns run a slightly tighter groove than 0.730" but having said that it seems rifled choke tubes commonly use 0.730" groove and my Carlson's says it is 0.730" groove.

Longbow

I got one of the Mihec Lyman Moulds but haven't fired it up yet.It is the same size as the Lyman/NOE mould.

I haven't fired up mine yet, but I plan on making a bunch and packing the rear end with wet toilet paper Ala Taofledermaus.

The NOE mould drops at .681 on the head and .666 tapering to .655 on the skirt. These are NOT full bore slugs. They are designed to be used with a WAA12 wad or the Claybuster Clone or the Claybuster Blue Wads, all of which have tapered petals

The NOE slugs in the blue wads measure .725 around the front end and .715 around the base, a simple piece of paper around the slug would tighten it up enough. In the WAA 12 clones they are .735 at the front and .750 at the rear so they are too tight and the wad will be destroyed.

More to look at here as I see these as being a viable projectile in a rifled gun as long as you can get the fit right and launch them into the rifling square. I shoot my airguns frequently and my favorite pellet is an H&N Match which is the .177 and .22 cal version of this .73 cal pellet.

The NOE ones might shoot well out of my Vang Comped gun but I don't see anything promising from a cylinder bore gun as there is no way to consistently eject them square to the bore. There's always going to be some wibble wobble and there goes the accuracy.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-26-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

The OP is referencing a full bore diameter version of the shot cup slug that Mihec also makes. I have the Lyman clone, not the full size. I also have several other Miha molds, all of them amazing, including the monster 700gr .501 mold with the John Ross pins.

Banned
    Greetings, can't wait to hear more about the performance of Lyman 525 Full bore from Mihec at the range and its weight etc.

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots