Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Bore Riders and Triple 7

Bore Riders and Triple 7

I have 4 lbs of 777 purchased at end of season prices many years ago. Knowing black is best, but being a frugal sort of guy, will 777 bump up a bore rider?

Banned

why not?

Black powder is know for it’s ability to obturate the bullet to fill the bore, while smokeless much less so. It does so because of the initial detonation which is a characteristic of an “explosive”; hence, requiring storage criteria far beyond that of smokeless. The advantage of the subs is they aren’t classified as explosive therefore they can found most anywhere.
    Last edited by Castaway; 04-19-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Banned

if unfortunately all you can have is bp sub, use it, it'll work for bore riders as well as greasers, but perhaps not as well as the real deal.

I guess I should have asked has anyone experience doing it.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried triple 7 in 45-70 when it first came out with GG bullets. It performed well but velocity was higher than expected. It should work okay. test it and see. you may need to go to a groove dia paper patch though. In the past modern cartridges have been loaded with PP and smokeless powders. And most of the original early cartridges started out with PP bullets and BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I guess I should have asked has anyone experience doing it.
    You might get some answers here from shooters that use it. I can't give you an answer because I never used it.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...er-Substitutes

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Triple Seven In Cartridges: Use data specifically developed for Triple Seven FFG only. Cartridge loads should be used exactly as listed in this pamphlet. You may safely use a card or polyethylene wad up to .030" in thickness to protect the base of the bullet. Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder. Allow no airspace between the base of the bullet and the powder. Do not reduce loads by means of filler wads or inert filler material such as Grits, Dacron or Grex. Do not heavily compress powder charges. The use of filler wads, inert fillers or heavy compression may cause a dangerous situation, which could cause injury and/or death to the shooter, bystanders or damage property. Do not create loads for cartridges not listed. Contact Hodgdon Powder Company for recommendations concerning other loads

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/contact

I've used H777 in 385 to 500gr bullets. Not having a clue what weight bullet you plan to use - best to contact Hodgdon: caliber and bullet weight
    Last edited by John Boy; 04-19-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Regards
    John

I give up.

Castaway,

I don't think anyone can answer it as most in this section dislike and will not use BP substitutes. The bore diameter PP bullet needs the kick in the pants that BP provides and I don't think any of the substitutes will provide that. Give it a try and if it doesn't work get some GG bullets to use it up.

R-71, thanks. I have grease grooved moulds and a bore rider coming. I have a Sharps and shoot black exclusively in it. That’s the reason I have 4 pounds of 777 still sitting around. Just thought I’d ask the question in case anyone had tried it. Once I get the new mould I’ll give it a shot.

Loading data deleted ... find you own data
    Last edited by John Boy; 04-20-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Regards
    John

John Boy, I think you’ve answered another post which isn’t on this thread. If not, what does this have to do with the original question?

... will 777 bump up a bore rider?
    Inexperienced reloader asking a question without any knowledge of internal ballistics.
    Call Hodgden and buy some reference books to increase your knowledge
    Regards
    John

This thread has run it's course. Thread closed.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.