MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Semi-autos and 310's..

Boolit Buddy

Semi-autos and 310's..

So, for years ive been told, and also read, that neck sizing result in less that reliable ammo in a semiauto.
    SO..i loaded up some 308 rounds with a 310. The brass was fired in one of my Fals...or something.
    With 180 gr SP's, and some 4064, I came up with a basic load.

In my Savage 99, the rounds did not want to chamber the last 1/4" or so without some good pressure on the lever.
    The rounds SHOT just fine, but did not want to open easily. That would likley not be a problem with brass fired in the 99 to start with.

I also put some rounds through the FAL... a chamber check of a few rounds were a concern, as they also hesitated to fully chamber.

BUT...a mag of 10 ran without a hitch, locked the bolt back and the whole bit...even was accurate though i'm zeroed with 150 gr loads.

While it will not be the regular way I load for it, i'm going to do a batch or two more, just to see if its problematic at some point.

Boolit Master

A Lyman Shell Resizer will full length resize.

Boolit Buddy

Right. I did this to see what problems would crop up if I only had the 310.

Boolit Buddy

fired all 15 again this evening, no real problems. A couple hiccups in feeding due to a know-poor mag.
    Once more, i'll load them up.

Boolit Grand Master
    As long as you reload cases coming from a single, on-spec chamber, I would think you would get several good loadings out of each one. Changing chambers or shooting rounds from one of those chambers with grooves or other "improvements"? Not so much. I don't remember ever seeing one of the Ideal FL sizers of the push in variety in 308, as the caliber came along pretty late in their production, but there probably were some. Mr Magnet can probably tell you for sure.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    As long as you reload cases coming from a single, on-spec chamber, I would think you would get several good loadings out of each one. Changing chambers or shooting rounds from one of those chambers with grooves or other "improvements"? Not so much. I don't remember ever seeing one of the Ideal FL sizers of the push in variety in 308, as the caliber came along pretty late in their production, but there probably were some. Mr Magnet can probably tell you for sure.

Froggie
    Yes, I do have them in 308.

i have a 308 FL resizer also,
    Thanks Brass
    with the Shell resizer my 310 loaded ammo is as near twin to ammo from my LYMAN MSR small base dies as i can achieve

Boolit Buddy

Loaded them last night, fired all 15 again today. Some slight issues on a couple with chambering, but it could also be a bit undergassed as this is a starting load, and this FAL is dialed in for 150 gr.

the last several months, ive loaded just under 2k rounds on 310 tools: 45-70, 30-30, 357, and 44 magnum. Mostly 30-30 and 357. Having shot several hundred of these rounds, I can't say they are any LESS accurate than those made on my Dillon, or with the hand press. In fact, with the 357 and 170 gr 30-30....they might be more consistent.

Before getting my first 310 tool last year, I had always FL resized everything. Neck sizing works well, and like was stated above, if loading for the same weapon, will work for at least a few shots per case.

Was an interesting experiment, like the time I loaded the same 20 pieces of 308 and fired them in the FAL to see when id start getting case head seperations. Good to know what your gear can do in a real pinch.

And Mr. Magnet graciously provided me with a 308 sizer in our last trade!