Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Compare LeeLoader vs Lee Zero Error

Boolit Grand Master

Compare LeeLoader vs Lee Zero Error

Of course they are long discontinued now, but I’m wondering whether anyone has ever tried to compare results produced with the Zero Error kits vs the standard Loaders in the same caliber. The question is moot at this point, but inquiring minds want to know (at least mine does!)

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Frog Person Sir, do you have a Zero Error kit?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some odds and ends from several such kits. I might be able to put together a complete set, but probably in some offbeat caliber. OTOH, my buddy in arms, Dale53 has several complete or nearly complete kits. He and they are in OH while I'm in VA of course, but if needed, I could probably talk him out of a set to try. Why do you inquire (dare I ask?)

Froggie

Boolit Master

I never set down and developed a plan and carry it out about the comparing the regular Lee Loader and the Zero Error Loader but I have and do own both. I have owned Lee, Bonanza, C&H, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, Forster, Pacific & Herter's regular loading die sets and I have never owned a die set that would load more accurate ammo than the Lee Zero Loader or for that matter, the little regular Lee Loader. The results from the Zero Target Loader is what started me completely prepping my brass. I had a 1909 Argentine mauser built into a 30-06 with a Shilen barrel (by a local gunsmith now retired) and with ammo loaded on the Lee Target loader it would do 1/2" at a hundred yards with several 150 grain bullets and loads. My son has that rifle now and mores the pity. He is more of a collector and not much of a shooter. But he wanted Dad's rifle and he got it. He also has my Lee Zero Target Loader in 8x57mm, a very rare kit indeed, which he will probably never use. james

Boolit Man
    I have a zero error set in 222. Got it to use years ago with a rifle built on a Sako L46 Single shot action with a heavy Douglas barrel, Bishop target stock etc. I used it briefly and did see an improvement over ammo loaded with conventional dies. I still have that rifle and a couple of other very accurate 222's. I also have RCBS, Forester , Redding and Wilson 222 dies. Would be an interesting comparison with all the die sets, the Zero Error set and multiple rifles. I'll never get around to it though. Guess I should sell lit to someone.

Boolit Master
    I had several Zero error sets. The one I used the most was for a Varmint weight M700 Remington.
    The rifle never shot any better with the Zero error than it did will ammo loaded with a standard die set.
    Most groups were about 9/16" to 5/8" at 100 yards. Since it shot the same with standard dies I got rid of the Zero error tools. I have never loaded a round with the standard Lee tools even though I own several sets of them too.

I have straight line tools made by Wilson, Neil Jones, and very high quality gunsmith made custom tools for a number of rifles.
    Those tools do deliver superior results but it seems to be the rifle that makes the biggest difference. My most used rifle and straight line die sets is a Rem 40X-BR in 6X47 Rem. That rifle will often put 5 shots in a single hole of about .375 dia.
    Last edited by EDG; 04-17-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, I have a 22-250 set (Standard) and Dale53 has the same in a Zero set (missing a couple of the non-specific parts.) Dad left me a Ruger #1 with heavy varmint barrel and a good Leupold scope. If I can sweet talk Dale53 into loaning me his set, maybe I can load some test ammo up with both and compare both results based on measurements of loaded ammo and results on targets out to the 300 yd distance available on my local range. Certainly not a definitive test, but maybe worthwhile. What think you all?

Froggie

Boolit Master

I have ten of the Zero sets and they can be effective
    I do need a reamer shaft (22) for my 224 Clark set
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

One of the things that effect accuracy is the pull that the neck exerts on the bullet. Thicker necks will hold the bullet tighter(longer) and thin necks the reverse. That brings into play powder burn rate. Also whether the cartridge is crimped or not crimped and even whether it is roll crimped or taper crimped will cause a slight variation. The inside neck turning afforded by the Target Loader negates neck thickness therefore getting a more consistent pull on the bullet. The trimming option offered by the TL also uniforms the case length(neck) also helps in getting a more consistent pull on the bullet and cutting out another variable. Those 2 things are what makes the Target Loader a slightly better option than a regular Lee Loader. I have never found any die set or reloading system that will turn a 4" grouping rifle into a 1" or under rifle. Usually there are other factors involved and you just have to eliminate them one by one. I have used both Lee regular and Target Loaders off and on since 1962 and I think they are the best 2 things Lee ever came up with. my experience and opinion anyway, james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    . My son has that rifle now and mores the pity. He is more of a collector and not much of a shooter. But he wanted Dad's rifle and he got it. He also has my Lee Zero Target Loader in 8x57mm, a very rare kit indeed, which he will probably never use. james
    You obviously didn't beat him enough when he was young. Never too late to start!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I've often wondered the same thing about the quality of loads done with other types of tooling.
    Some say Lee's Collet neck size die and FCD as well as their dead length seating die is gimmicks just to sell tooling.
    I wonder if some one with a accurate rifle could take prepped, once fired cases, load some as they usually do. Load some using the collet size die, some using the dead length seat die, Add a light, medium and firm crimp on each test set.
    Do enough combinations to get a good idea of how each thing works.
    I don't have a very accurate rifle, none of mine shoot one hole groups. If these test loads were done, how much difference would be seen?
    I think such a test would be very interesting to read about.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 04-29-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Randy, My sons wife loves to shoot and his 2 sons also. He use to shoot, hunt and fish. Now he is into "collecting". I still hold out hope he will return to his early loves. james