Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making sense of it all

Boolit Master

Making sense of it all

I have been following a series of videos by lucky gunner on YouTube for a bit...have to say they have really done a great job putting these together.

Lucky gunner is an online ammo company...and they have been investing time (and money) into all things home defense/ caliber and ballistic tests / myths and misconceptions...and from a purely practical standpoint I have really appreciated (don't seem to be selling an agenda or patting themselves on the back for being awesome...producing videos that highlight how awesome they are or anything of the sort. Just simple examination)

Most recent video I found very well done and it was just a simple talk with guys from federal/Speer.

https://youtu.be/T6kUvi72s0Y

I listened and heard alot of parallels with what has always been highlighted here for our cast boolits... accuracy over anything

They talk about 2200fps being a threshold and anything below that requires direct contact with tissue to damage (again the same experience with hunters on our forum that shot placement with cast is everything since it's often below 2200 fps impact)

Anyways really well done and thought I'd share.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Banned
    I have seen that to be pretty much true. I do believe the magic spot is a bit lower than 2,200, closer to 1,800 fps. That is just an opinion formed from shooting a lot of deer however. Not much into shooting people, so no experience there.

I'm not an accuracy over anything guy. Accuracy is a factor but so is trajectory and velocity. I'd rather have a 2.5" cast bullet load that hits the same poi as my favorite jacketed load than a 1" cast load that's 6-8" low. Likewise I'd rather have a 2.5" cast load that runs 2000fps than a 1" load that only clocks at 1600fps for hunting.

I am more of a hunter and a plinker than a target puncher though.

In the Lyman cast bullet handbook second edition there is an article on working up a hunting load, whereby you set a velocity goal and try to reach that while maintaining reasonable hunting accuracy. I've not heard any of that here on the cb.gl forum, except when I've talked about it.

Boolit Master
    I chose ammo off of the lucky gunner ammo tests, but ive also fought with the guy before over him thinking a 9mm load with "x" pen and expansion will be the exact same effectiveness as a more powerfull 357 load with those same 2 specs. I could buy that its not a linear scale up in that kind of case, but I cant believe its an actual zero gain. more speed has to do a something more even if they cant show it in a test.

Boolit Buddy

I call it the "ouch" factor, being hit with a slow moving object at x speed and being hit with the same object at xxx speed will cause the human tissue to damage more, more damage more pain. If they had a way to actually measure the nerve and blood vessel damage in those ballistic jell blocks it would be more believable.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I will give them a go never saw anything they've done. I don't hunt anymore so self-defense is all i am really interested in. I have always thought accuracy is king. And oh yes a 357 is more powerful than a 9mm but if a 9mm does the job what does it matter. To not be to hypricatial my carry gun is a 2inch 41 mag so i do understand wanting to carry something that will end a bad situation. But when clothing or situations demand i feel comfortable carrying a 25acp or 32 acp the main concern for me are reliability and accuracy. Anyways thanks for the tip look forward to watching what they have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I will give them a go never saw anything they've done. I don't hunt anymore so self-defense is all i am really interested in. I have always thought accuracy is king. And oh yes a 357 is more powerful than a 9mm but if a 9mm does the job what does it matter. To not be to hypricatial my carry gun is a 2inch 41 mag so i do understand wanting to carry something that will end a bad situation. But when clothing or situations demand i feel comfortable carrying a 25acp or 32 acp the main concern for me are reliability and accuracy. Anyways thanks for the tip look forward to watching what they have.
    They have a good video on 'practical rifleman' which I found really interesting... different shooting drills, shotgun ammo, pocket guns (like your 32 or 25) lots of good videos on revolvers (which I found very informative)

Enjoy and thanks

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    I chose ammo off of the lucky gunner ammo tests, but ive also fought with the guy before over him thinking a 9mm load with "x" pen and expansion will be the exact same effectiveness as a more powerfull 357 load with those same 2 specs. I could buy that its not a linear scale up in that kind of case, but I cant believe its an actual zero gain. more speed has to do a something more even if they cant show it in a test.
    Every place where it's recommended to aim for a self defense shooting is either protected by the skull or the rib cage and sternum. I'd be willing to bet that the extra 200 FPS of a .357 and larger meta-plate makes a big difference here. However it's impossible to prove as every shooting is a unique event.