Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: cast rifle boolits sticky in bolt action magazine

Boolit Buddy

cast rifle boolits sticky in bolt action magazine

This happened a few weeks ago but I am thinking it might be worth posting about. I sent my first cast rifle boolits. When I did, the boolits would sometimes not come forward out of the magazine when pushing the bolt. They seemed stuck. If I removed the magazine I think I recall that they didn't spring to the top of the mag. I seem to recall that they would if I manipulated them when the mag was removed. If I put the mag back in, I could get them to chamber.

Any thoughts?

Boolit Master

My first though is the loaded length was too long for the magazine. Another thought is the shape of the bullet may have allowed contact/slight binding against the side of the mag.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Does jacketed reloads cycle fine? You full length sizing? What caliber and rifle?

My thinking is loaded length is too long and is binding up on the magazine wall. I have done the same with 7.62x39
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with others, COAL is too long for Mag
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I have never shot a factory round through this gun. I did have some j-word reloads that cycled fine. Boolit was the Lee 200 grain bore rider. Rifle was the Ruger American 30-06. My friend lent me his 170 flat mold, I am going to try that and see where I get.

Make sure they're pushed back all the way in the magazine or they can 'stumble' like that when everything else is fine.

In the Service, we'd always rap the backside of a full magazine pretty hard on something to be sure the rounds were moved fully to the rear.

I've had both kids of boolits snag, or stumble going up the feed ramp in my Rem700 ADL .30-06 for the same reason.
    The case wasn't slid all the way back in the (blind) magazine.

This might be something to check if the rounds are all uniform in length, and this only happens sometimes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I went out to shoot again. I only had this happen once I believe. Although I only had time to shoot 12 shots. I am wondering if my problem was that I didn't bring the bolt all the way back to grab the next cartridge.

Are you crimping the bullet or just using neck tension a loose bullet could jump forward during recoil but I doubt it I have seen crazier things though. Check your coal against the magazine and see if you got much play fore and aft of the loaded rnd
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee FCD on it after I seat it. I have tried to push the boolit into the case after crimping it, I wasn't able to do so. I loaded 4 dummy rounds. I was able to chamber them all cycling through the mag. Although the boolit is a bore rider. So it digs into the rifling. One of them wound up pulling out of the case when I ejected it. Those didn't have as much lube on them though. I think I only did one coat of BLL. I am a bit concerned that might happen in the field while I am hunting. I am debating if I would wait to chamber a round before shooting it to avoid that problem.

Boolit Master

I have a Remington 788 in .30-30. It came with 1 factory magazine, which are difficult to find. I obtained an aftermarket mag from Numrich.

The magazines are just slightly different, and rounds that feed perfectly in the factory mag hang up in the aftermarket mag. I had to get the two mags side by side to see the difference.

.010" deeper seating, and both mags feed.