MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Accurate No. 5 - 38 Special +P

Accurate No. 5 - 38 Special +P

With the inputs I’ve gotten, I’ve decided to purchase today AA 5 to test in my j frames with 158 gr SWC. Decided against Unique and Power Pistol (PP) for the snubby (these two powders I like in longer barrels, 4 inches and up)...PP has too much blast and noise in the snub while I have to push the 158 gr at max Unique +P charge (5.2 grs, Speer data).

I’ve loaded 6.2 grs of AA5 with Speer 158 gr LSWC. Probably will get to the range next week to chronograph. I’m expecting approx. 775 FPS in the 1 7/8 barrel...we will see.

Appreciate your advice regarding AA5 in my application

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use unique and red dot in my 38's let us know how it goes i am very interested. I know nothing about accurate powders is it cleaner than what i use?

Boolit Grand Master

I usually substitute AA #5 for Green Dot in most of my loads I have found the burn rate and pressure to be similar enough to do so. The biggest advantage is that it meters so much better than the flake powders.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Speer (#14) lists it as min charge and 922 fps out of 6" S&W 14, the AA manual only has for plated and jacketed. For plated that charge is kind of in the middle (5.8 - 6.4). Red Bear - I like AA powders : clean and meter like water. I use #2, #5, #7 and #4100.

Boolit Master
    I don't use much AA5 anymore. It was my favorite powder for my 38Super race gun using Gold Dots and light charges. I think it's a good powder for what you're planning on using it for. I find it has limited uses, but where it works it works well.

Boolit Grand Master

Be sure and post your range results with AA #5 . I tried 6.1 grains with cast 158 gr. SWC and 160 gr. WC for the first time and was very pleased with the results in 38+P type loads , I would be very interested on what the fps of 6.2 grains is ... I was thinking 6.1 was a tad on the light side but I don't have a chrono so really couldn't tell , I was thinking of bumping it up to 6.2 .
    I have a J frame Airlite and a K frame model 64 both in 38 special and looking for a nice +P load with AA #5.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I get 845fps out of my 2.5" Model 19 snubbie with a 158gr lead bullet and 6.4gr of AA#5.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I’ve been using AA5 in my .38 Special Schofield for some time now, but have not ventured past 5.7gr because of the “break action” frame. It is the most accurate and cleanest burning loads with 158gr SWC bullets, and a favorite.

Moderator Emeritus

I have used AA5 in 40S&W with heavy home swaged J-words, I choose it because it is one of the most dense powders, requiring less case capacity for a certain load (193gr HP swaged using a spent 9mm case as a jacket)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I just bought a pound of AA #5. I'm going to try it with 125 and 135 gr JHP and also 158-160 gr cast boolits in 357 brass. Not interested in more than .38 Spl. +p velocity...max ~900 fps. Interested in your results. Please post them. Inqiring minds and all that, you know!

Banned
    AA#5 is a fine powder for 38 Special loads near max velocities. It meters well and is a bit slower than AA#2 which is key to reach those max speeds within the pressure limits.

I used AA powers (liked them but I didn't need the performance edge) in the past but eventually went back to my old powders.

Accurate #5 is much better in 38-44 applications with heavier Keith types (168 gr - 178 gr) having tighter ES/SDs and good accuracy…my two loads, one using 5.9 grs and the other 6.3 grs (RCBS Rotors) of #5, I get an avg range 935 fps - 975 fps with these Keith’s in my 5 inch S&W Heavy Duty. These loads were derived from Handloader Oct 2016 and such are being noted herein for informational purposes, and for use in my gun only. Please refer to Handloader Oct 2016 for details.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 11-12-2022 at 01:48 AM.
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”